Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jul 21, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Day 2 of Installation.

The day got off to a good start when the joiner turned up. I wasn’t sure he was definitely coming however Adam was super confident he would (spoiler, Adam was confident because the Joiner had left his tools in our spare room )

I left him to it after making sure he had a cold drink and a fan (it is really really hot here at the minute). After a couple of hours I went back inside and could hear him on the phone, from what I could gather (he wasn’t whispering) something was missing. After another hour or so a Sharps van turned up and someone dropped some materials off, however it turns out that it was the wrong piece. I didn’t feel reassured when the joiner said not to worry and that he would cobble something together.

Originally we were told both rooms would take 7 days to install, the joiner turned up on Wednesday and said he would have it all done by Friday and at the worst, Saturday morning. It turns out today must not have gone as well for him as he said before left that he would do as much as he could on Friday and then return on Monday (no mention of Saturday at all). I’m just being as relaxed as I can, I understand that things can go wrong, I just want it to be done as soon as possible.

It doesn’t really look like loads more has been done (however I am not an expert!), considering he came at 8am and left at 6.30pm. I’m not sure why he is leaving so late either, I would have thought 5pm was a normal going home time.

Our Bedroom

The join on the fascia and cornice

Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday, it means we may be over halfway done!
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 21, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
That's a nice long run of robes and will look lovely when all done. It did need the cornice to finish it off and would have looked silly without it in my view.

He does seem a bit slow but as long as his work is good that's fine. Yes I can see snagging issues but it's unfair to look at snagging until it's all finished. That join on the cornice I would bluff out with white silicone.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 21, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Do also bear in mind that the joiner will be paid a set amount and Sharps will be making the profit. He might be paid daily so if it take him longer, he wouldn’t get paid, therefore the longer hours. Often the joiner isn’t consulted on how long the job will take.
It’s also up-to the joiner to ‘put right’ any shortfall from Sharps in relation to anything that’s missing/broken etc.
One thing that always surprises me is that the sales person promises the earth and then it’s down to the joiner to ‘make it work’
I do feel for the tradesman as the success of the business is down to them really, but its Sharps that will make the money. Obviously no excuse for rudeness though.
It’s good though that you are keeping him supplied with drinks and snacks. It’ll be worth it in the end 😀
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024

Edited at 07:31 AM.
Floridarules is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 21, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I think from watching a couple of kitchens being done, that the putting the doors on is the quick and easy bit, but it’s not until then that it looks nearly done.
I think the time is in getting the carcasses in, building the drawers etc. He is on his own as well so it’s a lot to do.
I’m guessing he hasn’t started the spare room yet? Monday maybe seems a bit ambitious but you’ll have an idea tonight.
Our kitchen fitter sometimes finishes at 4, but was here until gone 7 last night marking on where the handles should go. I think sometimes he just gets on a run with things and wants it finished, and others he think I’ll start again afresh in the morning.
If he’s here late I offer a cold beer stick some music on and I just start cooking in the utility room 😂it’s easier for me though as he is a friend of a friend of my husband, did our last house and bizarrely the band for our wedding, we’re a similar age so we can just chat away, whereas I would be really uncomfortable with complete strangers and likely leave that to my husband to sort out 😂
Old 23 Jul 21, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
That's a nice long run of robes and will look lovely when all done. It did need the cornice to finish it off and would have looked silly without it in my view.

He does seem a bit slow but as long as his work is good that's fine. Yes I can see snagging issues but it's unfair to look at snagging until it's all finished. That join on the cornice I would bluff out with white silicone.
Thanks Mr TM, I do think it will look good once it is done. Adam said this morning that it looks like a football locker room at the moment, all we needed to do was hang jerseys in the top! Fat chance! I am so pleased you confirmed that we should proceed with the cornice, I think it needed it too but I am not confident dealing with tradespeople as I have no knowledge of how things should be (other than how I like things to look).

My expectations were that the job would take a week, I really was surprised when he said it would take 3 days, I think he may have underestimated the volume of work he had to get through. Not long to go hopefully.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 21, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
Do also bear in mind that the joiner will be paid a set amount and Sharps will be making the profit. He might be paid daily so if it take him longer, he wouldn’t get paid, therefore the longer hours. Often the joiner isn’t consulted on how long the job will take.
It’s also up-to the joiner to ‘put right’ any shortfall from Sharps in relation to anything that’s missing/broken etc.
One thing that always surprises me is that the sales person promises the earth and then it’s down to the joiner to ‘make it work’
I do feel for the tradesman as the success of the business is down to them really, but its Sharps that will make the money. Obviously no excuse for rudeness though.
It’s good though that you are keeping him supplied with drinks and snacks. It’ll be worth it in the end 😀
Yes, I completely understand what you mean. We found that the Sales Rep has left a lot to be desired. There were several things that weren’t mentioned in the consultation that the Engineer picked up, thankfully.

With regards to the joiner he really is a bit unique. I am just keeping him in cool drinks and staying out of the way. I was surprised he was working on his own but he said that is quite normal. Also I would imagine if the job was that terrible he could leave and find other employment, apparently he has been with the company for 35 years (his words) so he must be doing ok.

I think if I were to do this all over again, I would pick a family business where you dealt with the same people. Maybe there would be less opportunity for missed communication? Thankfully we are on the home stretch now!
Old 23 Jul 21, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
I think from watching a couple of kitchens being done, that the putting the doors on is the quick and easy bit, but it’s not until then that it looks nearly done.
I think the time is in getting the carcasses in, building the drawers etc. He is on his own as well so it’s a lot to do.
I’m guessing he hasn’t started the spare room yet? Monday maybe seems a bit ambitious but you’ll have an idea tonight.
Our kitchen fitter sometimes finishes at 4, but was here until gone 7 last night marking on where the handles should go. I think sometimes he just gets on a run with things and wants it finished, and others he think I’ll start again afresh in the morning.
If he’s here late I offer a cold beer stick some music on and I just start cooking in the utility room 😂it’s easier for me though as he is a friend of a friend of my husband, did our last house and bizarrely the band for our wedding, we’re a similar age so we can just chat away, whereas I would be really uncomfortable with complete strangers and likely leave that to my husband to sort out 😂
Hey Mitch, I agree, I think putting everything together takes the most time, just the drawers and doors on our bedroom today I think. We were told it would be 7 days, so anything less than that would be a bonus I certainly wouldn’t want to be doing all of that on my own. My biggest worry is that as the doors are so tall, how will he hang them properly on his own.

You are so lucky to have such a great fitter, it must be nice to be able to keep it light and friendly. Bonus points for also being in your wedding band! This guy is just a bit different and I don’t feel very relaxed. Adam has been great dealing with him, I just hide outside and paint the fence.
Old 23 Jul 21, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Don't worry about the doors and him hanging them on his own.

For years we just used a small wedge of wood and did the top hinge first then straightened the door as required and screwed the other 3 or 4 hinges on.

However Carpenters now use a Winbag or Hedgehog Bag. What a great invention. Basically a small bag with a foot pump and you just pump the bag up to the required height. Lifts a huge weight as well and cheap as chips.

Looks like this.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 21, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. Don't worry about the doors and him hanging them on his own.

For years we just used a small wedge of wood and did the top hinge first then straightened the door as required and screwed the other 3 or 4 hinges on.

However Carpenters now use a Winbag or Hedgehog Bag. What a great invention. Basically a small bag with a foot pump and you just pump the bag up to the required height. Lifts a huge weight as well and cheap as chips.

Looks like this.

How clever is that! Thanks you for letting me know, I am feeling a bit less worried now.
Old 23 Jul 21, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Day 3 of Installation

Well the day isn’t quite over yet but the wardrobes in our room has been finished. There are a couple of bits I would like fixed (apparently the joiner isn’t responsible for these things?) so I will get in touch with Sharps directly.

Our Bedroom

My Hanging Area and Drawers

My Shelves and Drawers

My Shoe Rack and Handbag Shelves

DH’s Hanging Rack, Shelves and Drawers

DH’s Hanging Rack and Drawers

Some of the backing boards don’t meet and he has said he is unable to fix them, so there are noticeable gaps between the panels. Apparently everything is cut by a computerised machine and isn’t always accurate. His words, not mine!

It does look really smart (the old ones looked very tired) and it will be awesome when the carpets get refitted next week, then we will get the full effect. He is currently working on the spare room but will be back on Monday to complete the job. Thank goodness it’s Friday as I really need wine. I see a lot of folding in my future.