Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jul 21, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Another Uni Fees/Loans/Grants question...

in a nutshell

my daughter is looking into uni degree's for entry in 23/24 (starts Y12) she wants to do a BA in Dance

so some courses she has found the fee's are greater than the maximum , currently 9250 PA, you can get a tuition loan to cover the fee's

so how does this work would we be expected to top up the remaining fee?

also when looking on .gov website to calculate a maintenance loan , the most it will accept for tuition fee''s is the max 9250. i appreciate the maint loan is for living expenses etc etc

hope that makes sense
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Minicooper
Imagineer

My daughter will be starting her 3rd year on a Musical Theatre degree in September so I looked into all this a couple of years ago.

In a nutshell yes if the course is more than the student loan you will need to make up the difference. My DD was really interested in going to Arts Ed in London but the course was over £15k for the year so we would need to find £6k there are no loans available for this.

Look at the contact hours for each course as you will normally find the ones you have to pay extra for are 35 hours plus a week and then other are about 12 to 15 hours a week.

Also a lot of places will do degree courses and diplomas, a lot of DD friends auditioned for degrees but got offered diplomas. These are normally funded by a DADA which is means tested so you normally will have to pay something towards the course fees and may or may not get a maintenance payment as well. These are grants so do not have to be paid back. But each course provider is only allocated so much funding so you will get asked to audition for the DADA element separately I know someone who was offered a place at Laine last year and they had to turn down the place as they didn't get offered a DADA.
Old 19 Jul 21, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minicooper View Post
My daughter will be starting her 3rd year on a Musical Theatre degree in September so I looked into all this a couple of years ago.

In a nutshell yes if the course is more than the student loan you will need to make up the difference. My DD was really interested in going to Arts Ed in London but the course was over £15k for the year so we would need to find £6k there are no loans available for this.

Look at the contact hours for each course as you will normally find the ones you have to pay extra for are 35 hours plus a week and then other are about 12 to 15 hours a week.

Also a lot of places will do degree courses and diplomas, a lot of DD friends auditioned for degrees but got offered diplomas. These are normally funded by a DADA which is means tested so you normally will have to pay something towards the course fees and may or may not get a maintenance payment as well. These are grants so do not have to be paid back. But each course provider is only allocated so much funding so you will get asked to audition for the DADA element separately I know someone who was offered a place at Laine last year and they had to turn down the place as they didn't get offered a DADA.
Many thanks for that

exactly what we suspected & snap 15k fee's is what we have been looking at

so on top of topping up the maintenance grant so she could actually live , we need to find 6k a year for tuition on top

this is such a shame she has her heart set on this & very sensibly wants to get a BA /Degree rather then a "diploma" so she has the options of having a degree under under her belt

but 2 years to go & already she more than likely have to look elsewhere... we had wrongly thought the government covered the fee's for an actual degree

FWIW we also know someone who had to turn down Laine as no way they could afford the fee's / living costs
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
Many thanks for that

exactly what we suspected & snap 15k fee's is what we have been looking at

so on top of topping up the maintenance grant so she could actually live , we need to find 6k a year for tuition on top

this is such a shame she has her heart set on this & very sensibly wants to get a BA /Degree rather then a "diploma" so she has the options of having a degree under under her belt

but 2 years to go & already she more than likely have to look elsewhere... we had wrongly thought the government covered the fee's for an actual degree

FWIW we also know someone who had to turn down Laine as no way they could afford the fee's / living costs
I have friends kids who have had to dip out because of the cost. A few have received scholarships which has meant they’ve been able to go ahead - maybe that might be an option

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridasun
Imagineer

It is crazy. My daughter has just finished her 3rd year at Uni. The loans for living expenses are insufficient to cover everything. We have spent a lot of money filling in the gaps during times when she was unable to find any part time work. The system is crazy.
Floridasun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I’m dreading this. DS will be applying shortly. I hadn’t realised we’d be likely to need to cough up an additional £500 per month on top of whatever we need to pay for accommodation 😬😱
I wonder how he’d feel about a gap year?!
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Minicooper
Imagineer

You can go onto the student loan calculator to get a approximate idea of what maintenance loan you are entitled to.

gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

I would also look at the price of accommodation and halls for their chosen university so you can see how much it will all cost. Also remember if they are looking at shared houses for the 2nd and 3rd years the agreement tend to be for 12 months.
Old 20 Jul 21, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minicooper View Post
You can go onto the student loan calculator to get a approximate idea of what maintenance loan you are entitled to.

gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

I would also look at the price of accommodation and halls for their chosen university so you can see how much it will all cost. Also remember if they are looking at shared houses for the 2nd and 3rd years the agreement tend to be for 12 months.
Thanks for this

that where we realised the tuition fee's were more than she could get in a loan as the max you can enter is 9250 for fee's

she would get @6K maintenance grant based on what we entered above, this is for London so guessing that wont go far... this & the additional fees make it a non starter

she really wants to goto London but looking like she will have to limit her aspirations..
Old 20 Jul 21, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
Thanks for this

that where we realised the tuition fee's were more than she could get in a loan as the max you can enter is 9250 for fee's

she would get @6K maintenance grant based on what we entered above, this is for London so guessing that wont go far... this & the additional fees make it a non starter

she really wants to goto London but looking like she will have to limit her aspirations..
Before she limits her aspirations make sure she goes down all avenues.

Do you or your husband belong to a union or association, there are sometimes grants available from those.

Is their a scholarship programme?

Could she get some kind of sponsorship from a local buisness or future/current employer.

Ask the careers service about methods of funding?

Could she start writing a blog for sponsorship?

Is she good at writing, articles for magazines pay a bit?

Just get her to think around the issue if she doesn't succeed at least she will know that she has tried everything.

Good luck
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

This is the UCAS link for a start

ucas/finance/additional-funding
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List