Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

View Poll Results: your favourite wine type
red 30 22.39%
white 64 47.76%
rose 34 25.37%
other (specify in comment) 6 4.48%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Jun 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Me too! Have you tried the St Clair pioneer block from majestic? It’s really good
Yep that is the one we get and also where we get it from. I first discovered it when it was served to me on a Qatar airlines flight, I went on a hunt for it afterwards.

When I am not feeling so wine extravagant, my go to NZ SB is Villa Maria.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Yep that is the one we get and also where we get it from. I first discovered it when it was served to me on a Qatar airlines flight, I went on a hunt for it afterwards.

Another one to try if you haven’t already is the St Clair reserve and Jackson Estate Grey Ghost.
Oh and Isabel but it’s hard to get
I love this thread!
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S

Colette-S's Reviews
Mobile

The VM is regularly on offer in Costco
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Another one to try if you haven’t already is the St Clair reserve and Jackson Estate Grey Ghost.
Oh and Isabel but it’s hard to get
I love this thread!
I was looking at my NW vineyard tour trip photos earlier because of this thread and seems we went to Isabel. I think I might have come across Grey Ghost, not sure but it rings a bell.

Old 22 Jun 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

I like a really pale rose. It has to be dry, can't stand the sweet stuff. I like French Cote de Rhone rose but I'm happy to give any a go. I went to majestic the other week and got a lovely selection.

The problem is wine doesn't like me. Makes me slurring drunk very quickly (where as gin makes me silly drunk) and gives me the worst hangover ever.
mskitty is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gally1968
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

19 Crimes Chardonnay currently top of the ‘off the shelf’ wines but absolute favourite is Cakebread Chardonnay but a little pricey for every day.
Old 22 Jun 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S

Colette-S's Reviews
Mobile

I was looking at my NW vineyard tour trip photos earlier because of this thread and seems we went to Isabel. I think I might have come across Grey Ghost, not sure but it rings a bell.

New Zealand is on my list so I now know where to come for tips!
Old 22 Jun 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve never liked red but somebody recommended one called Jam shed! OMG I’m now converted 😋
Old 22 Jun 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post

New Zealand is on my list so I now know where to come for tips!
My first tip is not to rent a satnav. We did and the instructions from the airport car park were, turn left 10m, turn right 15m, drive straight 158kms, arrive at destination.

It is a really beautiful country, we drove around the south island for two weeks in the February, escaping Sydney summer where we were living at the time. I was really looking forward to the Marlborough section of the trip.
Old 22 Jun 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

I used to like red the best however I'm moving to the light side a bit more!

At the moment my fave is Hardys Crest Chardonnay Sauvignon Blanc. Its a blend which is crisp and fresh (and easy to drink )

(Edited to add the Hardys is currently on offer in Morrisons - 4 bottles for £20!)

However i discovered a great rose from Lidl - Cepa Lebrel Rioja Rosado. This was sooo good. Really fresh and not overly sweet like some roses.

If I go for red I will nearly always go for a Malbec or Marlot. Preferably South American or South African (had the lovely wine flight in Victoria Falls lounge at AKL which has made me favour South African wines recently!)

Edited at 12:40 PM.
Tre85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List