Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 4 Nov 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Where best for a two bed at 7 months?

Hello!

Appreciate this is very much going to be subjective but I thought I'd throw it out there!

We're taking our family on a big trip next November which Im really excited about. Theres going to be 7 of us - myself and my husband, BIL & SIL and their two kids, and teenage SIL.

We have two contracts, a very small BWV one and a Poly one. The plan is to use the BWV one to book 4 nights at BW at 11 months, then at seven months book a further 5 nights using our Poly contract.

With it being F & W I'm holding out zero hope for getting the remaining nights at BWV so where would you be aiming to book for those last 5 nights given our party size/make up?

We can basically afford to stay anywhere with the exception of VGF or Riviera, and a Poly bungalow is also way out of our points budget!

So... where would you stay? Where has the nicest two-beds and is likely to be available at seven months?
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
Hello!

Appreciate this is very much going to be subjective but I thought I'd throw it out there!

We're taking our family on a big trip next November which Im really excited about. Theres going to be 7 of us - myself and my husband, BIL & SIL and their two kids, and teenage SIL.

We have two contracts, a very small BWV one and a Poly one. The plan is to use the BWV one to book 4 nights at BW at 11 months, then at seven months book a further 5 nights using our Poly contract.

With it being F & W I'm holding out zero hope for getting the remaining nights at BWV so where would you be aiming to book for those last 5 nights given our party size/make up?

We can basically afford to stay anywhere with the exception of VGF or Riviera, and a Poly bungalow is also way out of our points budget!

So... where would you stay? Where has the nicest two-beds and is likely to be available at seven months?
You may get lucky anywhere but you would likely get Kidani, OKW and SSR.

You may get BLT lake, at exactly at 1pm 7 months out.

I think Boulder Ridge is the only other one you may get, but less chance than BLT lake.
Old 5 Nov 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi Debs

I’d base it probably on my dining and park plans.

For example if I was doing Disney Springs a lot I’d go for SSR so I could walk across.

MK I’d try for BLT lake view (or CCV)

OKW will give you the most space but I find the ability to link to other places less good (the buses are no better or worse than anywhere else but the only walkable thing - which is important to me - is DS and it’s a pretty long walk!)

The other thing is the age of the kids. When mine were little I loved the feature pool at SSR for its zero entry (same at AKL actually) and the Donald Duck water feature mine loved.

Or at AKL you’d have the animals...!

Where have you stayed before and what did you like / not like?

(Sorry I realise these are just random thoughts rather than a recommendation! )
Old 6 Nov 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi Debs

I’d base it probably on my dining and park plans.

For example if I was doing Disney Springs a lot I’d go for SSR so I could walk across.

MK I’d try for BLT lake view (or CCV)

OKW will give you the most space but I find the ability to link to other places less good (the buses are no better or worse than anywhere else but the only walkable thing - which is important to me - is DS and it’s a pretty long walk!)

The other thing is the age of the kids. When mine were little I loved the feature pool at SSR for its zero entry (same at AKL actually) and the Donald Duck water feature mine loved.

Or at AKL you’d have the animals...!

Where have you stayed before and what did you like / not like?

(Sorry I realise these are just random thoughts rather than a recommendation! )
No it’s fine, really appreciate the input, it’s a lot to consider.

I think I’m torn between OKW and AKL. I’d never considered OKW before but having watched some videos last night the layout of the 2-bed just looks perfect for the configuration of our party and I really like the look and feel of the resort and rooms post refurb. Appreciate we couldn’t walk anywhere really but we’ll have the first 4 nights at BWV where we’ll be right in the thick of things.

I had really liked the idea of AKL (for the kids) but the rooms are smaller and darker and I feel like we’d feel a bit cut off? Also I’d feel like it was a bit pointless doing AKL without a savannah view so the points saving for OKW is pretty big.

Having looked at SSR it’s just not for us, it’s very pretty but we don’t really fancy it.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
No it’s fine, really appreciate the input, it’s a lot to consider.

I think I’m torn between OKW and AKL. I’d never considered OKW before but having watched some videos last night the layout of the 2-bed just looks perfect for the configuration of our party and I really like the look and feel of the resort and rooms post refurb. Appreciate we couldn’t walk anywhere really but we’ll have the first 4 nights at BWV where we’ll be right in the thick of things.

I had really liked the idea of AKL (for the kids) but the rooms are smaller and darker and I feel like we’d feel a bit cut off? Also I’d feel like it was a bit pointless doing AKL without a savannah view so the points saving for OKW is pretty big.

Having looked at SSR it’s just not for us, it’s very pretty but we don’t really fancy it.
Do you like walking? If yes definitely go with OKW over AKL. AKL is a very nice hotel (Kidani has a great hospitality house if you've never been) but it's very cut off.
We like walking and running. We found AKL like staying in an all inclusive in Domininican Republic etc, basically self contained. Because of lack of walking or running places, the gym was often packed and people were running up and down the car Park. If they put a path in here from the hotel to AK, it would be a favourite but not for us. But some people don't mind that at all.
OKW is very relaxing, recently refurbed and the rooms are large. I've had a 2 bed there myself and it was very comfortable. I enjoyed my stay there very much, and would go back anytime. It also has a great walk, you can walk from there down the canal to SSR and DS. It's lovely.
I'd prefer SSR over both simply because it's a quick walk to DS for eating etc. However, I wouldn't stop at SSR unless its a refurbed room, which are perhaps the third best rooms on property after Riv and VGF I am sure you have seen them. The old rooms were too run down for me. The new ones are amazing but they are only a few months into the refurb (2 year project).
I think you would be delighted with OKW. The only downside there, is that some rooms are near roundabouts or the main road. Try to get a hospitality house one as they are generally well positioned. If not, see the thread I did OKW rooms to avoid for requests which has a block by block break down of good and bad locations.

Edited at 11:04 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Do you like walking? If yes definitely go with OKW over AKL. AKL is a very nice hotel (Kidani has a great hospitality house if you've never been) but it's very cut off.
We like walking and running. We found AKL like staying in an all inclusive in Domininican Republic etc, basically self contained. Because of lack of walking or running places, the gym was often packed and people were running up and down the car Park. If they put a path in here from the hotel to AK, it would be a favourite but not for us. But some people don't mind that at all.
OKW is very relaxing, recently refurbed and the rooms are large. I've had a 2 bed there myself and it was very comfortable. I enjoyed my stay there very much, and would go back anytime. It also has a great walk, you can walk from there down the canal to SSR and DS. It's lovely.
I'd prefer SSR over both simply because it's a quick walk to DS for eating etc. However, I wouldn't stop at SSR unless its a refurbed room, which are perhaps the third best rooms on property after Riv and VGF I am sure you have seen them. The old rooms were too run down for me. The new ones are amazing but they are only a few months into the refurb (2 year project).
I think you would be delighted with OKW. The only downside there, is that some rooms are near roundabouts or the main road. Try to get a hospitality house one as they are generally well positioned. If not, see the thread I did OKW rooms to avoid for requests which has a block by block break down of good and bad locations.
Thanks, appreciate that
Old 6 Nov 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Given what you’ve said I’d also say OKW. We’ve never managed to get a room in the area I’ve wanted to but it’s a lovely resort to wander around.
Old 8 Nov 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Susu
VIP Dibber

Susu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We just came back from a week at OKW last Saturday. We had a two bedroom in building 32 on Old Turtle Pond. It’s was a lovely quiet location but also close to the bus stop. We always ask for Turtle Pond these days as we feel we have a better chance of getting a good location over those that are considered prime. We often jumped the bus down to Hospitality House and then took the boat up to DS. So relaxing.

The rooms at OKW are very spacious and we like the two entries to the main bathroom - the older rooms don’t have that.

We are members at SSR but won’t be staying there until the refurb is complete. Our last stay there was awful and we ended up with compensation from Disney. Looking forward to the new rooms when they’re complete.
Susu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Susu View Post
We just came back from a week at OKW last Saturday. We had a two bedroom in building 32 on Old Turtle Pond. It’s was a lovely quiet location but also close to the bus stop. We always ask for Turtle Pond these days as we feel we have a better chance of getting a good location over those that are considered prime. We often jumped the bus down to Hospitality House and then took the boat up to DS. So relaxing.

The rooms at OKW are very spacious and we like the two entries to the main bathroom - the older rooms don’t have that.

We are members at SSR but won’t be staying there until the refurb is complete. Our last stay there was awful and we ended up with compensation from Disney. Looking forward to the new rooms when they’re complete.
Thanks so much for your comments! I think we've pretty much decided on OKW although I don't actually have to decide until April.

You've all been really helpful!
Old 14 Nov 19, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Big Ears
VIP Dibber

We've stayed in the 2 bed OKW many times. It's great for 7 of you - the main bedroom has a large bath (almost like a hot tub) and the second bedroom has two large beds with bathroom. Good laundry room and the main lounge/kitchen area is very well equipped plus you have the sofa chair and settee options. The large balconies are fab with views over the lake or golf course and what we like the most is the small pools dotted around the resort in addition to the main sandcastle pool and sauna in the lighthouse. We've stayed with 5-6 of us and lots of room. The boat ride to Disney springs is great. Enjoy