Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 13 Nov 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

How do I increase the resolution of an already taken photo

As the title really.

I am making a photo gift for Christmas, have added my pics, but it is telling me they are all too low a resolution

Is there any way I can increase this at all to make it work?

Many thanks
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

what resolution are the original pictures? and what are you trying to get it printed on? if youre uploading a 640x480 image you downloaded off facebook and wanting it putting onto an a1 canvas, it's gonna look terrible

you can increase the resolution, but it is likely to make the image quality worse in the long run. as they say, you can't polish a ≈≈≈≈
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
what resolution are the original pictures? and what are you trying to get it printed on? if youre uploading a 640x480 image you downloaded off facebook and wanting it putting onto an a1 canvas, it's gonna look terrible

you can increase the resolution, but it is likely to make the image quality worse in the long run. as they say, you can't polish a ≈≈≈≈
Thanks, I have no idea on original resolution - I just thought I would just add the pics and and job done! Clearly not

Thanks for your help though.
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
If it's saying that the resolution is too low, it means that the quality of the photo is not good enough for the size of print or photo gift. Increasing the resolution of an already existing photo would not increase the quality of the photo. So it would still look poor.

Anyway, what this is (probably) asking for is a larger photo in terms of number of pixels. Instead of a photo that is, say, 640x480 pixels in size it wants a photo that is at least 1080x960 pixels in size (for example). In order to increase the number of pixels, you need to upsample the photo.

You can upsample an image in Photoshop or other professional photo apps. Or you could use an online tool. I just did a very quick google search for "upsample image online" and here's the first one I came across:

imageenlarger/

I have never used the above website so I have no idea how good it is or anything.

As I've already mentioned, upsampling the image won't improve the quality. So it may not look very good when printed onto the photo gift.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 07:06 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

If you want to know the image size and your on windows then right click on the photo in explorer and then select properties. On the Details tab you will see the image sizes.
To resize you can just select edit and open it with paint. You will then see a resize option and can change it to any res you want, but as mentioned above the big the res the lower the quality.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
To resize you can just select edit and open it with paint. You will then see a resize option and can change it to any res you want, but as mentioned above the big the res the lower the quality.
I forgot you could resize in Paint. Good spot!

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List