Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 16 Nov 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Washington or Boston

Can you lovely dibbers please tell me about Washington and Boston. Looking to do a 7 day trip next summer to either city or a few nights in New York and then off to another city.
Totally undecided at the moment so any input will be much appreciated 😀

Edited at 02:52 PM.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Washington is a smaller city in a way to visit because the key sights are all close together in one area. Plus the sights are iconic ones.

Boston is really interesting, there are some sights and key areas obviously but it is more of a vibe for me - which is more homey to me. I love the view coming in over the water and the harbour, plenty to see in the environs.

So Boston area for a longer visit but Washington if I only had a few days. I would feel like I had seen more rather than experienced it ifyswim.

DH pushing for a Washington trip next year, and I would like to do it followed by Richmond and Virginia and the Smokies but think it would take morethan the two weeks we have !

Edited at 02:50 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
LostGirl
Imagineer

LostGirl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Washington without a shadow of a doubt. More iconic things to see and Georgetown is so pretty. Boston is ok, but not my favourite.

LostGirl

LostGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Could you do Boston and Washington as a split stay instead of New York 🤔 may have to look into that
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Mmm. Possibly but if you haven't been to NYC then a combo Washington and NYC would do it for me.

There is a fair amount to see in both, and they have different feels too.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

I have done New York so could fly into Boston and then fly down to Washington. But reading what you put about Boston may like to do the 7 days up there and then maybe do New York again with Washington added on another time.
Old 16 Nov 19, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveLeith
Very Serious Dibber

It’s 20+ years since I’ve been in Boston but it’s a beautiful city with lots to do, we’re planning to visit again in the next few years.

Was in Washington last year and it’s brilliant, we only had 2 days though (and one afternoon was spent at an NFL game) so really only had time for a potted tour of the city. You can apply for a self guided tour inside the White House & the Pentagon, see link at bottom Of post. Georgetown is a lovely area of Washington, when we go back that’s where we’ll stay.

A Dibber recently done a Washington trip report which will give you loads of good info, just do a search on Washington.

norton.house.gov/services/tours-and-tickets
Old 16 Nov 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
We’re just back from 5 nights in Washington, and also spent a couple of nights in Boston about 5 years ago, which was tagged onto the end of a NYC trip. There’s trip reports for both in my signature. Abby (Goldia) has also just written a Washington trip report too.

If I’m honest, I don’t feel that we did Boston justice in a couple of days. Although we really enjoyed our time there, I haven’t got an overwhelming urge to go back, and do feel that a week would be too long.

Even with spending 5 nights in Washington, there are definitely things we didn’t get to see and do, so think you could easily spend a week there and do it at a slightly less hectic pace.

Potentially you could do both as a split stay, but to see both in a week might leave you feeling that you’ve not spent enough time in either place.

Haven’t really helped have I?

Edited at 03:22 PM.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
We’re just back from 5 nights in Washington, and also spent a couple of nights in Boston about 5 years ago, which was tagged onto the end of a NYC trip. There’s trip reports for both in my signature. Abby (Goldia) has also just written a Washington trip report too.

If I’m honest, I don’t feel that we did Boston justice in a couple of days. Although we really enjoyed our time there, I haven’t got an overwhelming urge to go back, and do feel that a week would be too long.

Even with spending 5 nights in Washington, there are definitely things we didn’t get to see and do, so think you could easily spend a week there and do it at a slightly less hectic pace.

Potentially you could do both as a split stay, but to see both in a week might leave you feeling that you’ve not spent enough time in either place.

Haven’t really helped have I?
🤯This is just what my brain is like trying to decide what to do 😂 Want to do them justice but have other plans for 2021 and 2022 and only really got a week when both kids are around.
Old 16 Nov 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Debsie25
Trying for More Ears

We loved both cities, they have a nice vibe about them.

Boston has wonderful architecture and sometimes felt like you could be in UK.

We visited Washington after spending a few days in New York and it was lovely to be in a city that seemed cleaner, safer and more spacious. The area around the National Mall was wonderful with free museums and stunning memorials.

When in Washington DS realised his phone had slipped out of his pocket while sat on a bench along the National Mall. Ten minutes had passed since we'd left the bench and when he ran back it was still there. Not sure that would be the case in most other cities.