Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Oct 16, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchfan626
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by agent_oso View Post
Yes but its not a "French" Themepark. Its Disneyland.

There is a reason why more Brits go to Orlando than Paris each year regardless of cost.

I just think that there is changes they could make to make it more magical for non speaking french children.

All about opinions though.
I don't think the fact that French is spoken detracts at all from the magic. In fact I think that DLP manages fantastically in coping with the logistics of different languages being spoken.

The reason people go to Orlando is due to the fact there are 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, universal, sea world and the weather etc not due to the fact that some attractions are in French.
1995 WDW (offsite) , 1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club), 2001, 2002, 2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2004 WDW (offsite), 2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2007 WDW (Grand Floridian), 2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), 2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York), May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club), December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Room), April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge), June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), August 2019 DLP (Vienna Dream Castle), December 2019 DLP (Magic Circus)
Stitchfan626 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 16, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Yes but its not a "French" Themepark. Its Disneyland.

There is a reason why more Brits go to Orlando than Paris each year regardless of cost.

I just think that there is changes they could make to make it more magical for non speaking french children.

All about opinions though.
I do agree its all about opinions, and other adults have posted on these boards that they think young children don't get as much out of Disneyland Paris because its not all in English - but I think that really is down to opinion. Kids don't have the same issues with language that adults do, especially young children. My daughter first went to Disneyland Paris when she was 5, Mickey spoke French, and Minnie or Donald (or whoever it was partnering him) spoke English right after him, so nothing is lost in translation so to speak. She loves (still, aged 15 and having been to WDW too) that Mickey speaks French at DLP . And when the daily parade is announced, she's had years of listening and figuring out which language is being spoken next (Spanish, German, Italian etc). Its not daunting or anything, its just different. We've even gone into the all French-speaking version of Stitch Live to see if we could follow along (and neither of us speak French). We were shouting along with the rest of the audience the colours in French helping Stitch escape in the end.
I don't think a Disneyland in Europe would be much different in any other country in Europe to be honest, that country's language would be spoken first, followed by English as an international language, wouldn't it? I do think Disneyland Paris suffers a bit because its Northern Europe, as opposed to a Southern European country (gentler climate) but I don't think it would have fared any better in the UK for example.

To me Disneyland Paris is more than just a theme park, its still way more of an experience compared to any UK theme park I've been to for example. It does have the Disney magic to me, in its design, in its architecture, in its character experiences, in its entertainment etc. Lots of little things that add up to so much more than just a theme park. Notice I didn't mention rides? Thats because you can get rides in any theme park, but you don't get the detail and attention to it that you get at Disney parks, and to me Disneyland Paris has that.

Edited at 04:27 PM.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 16, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

DLP is a French theme park not an American one. Tokyo Disney is a Japanese theme park. Hong Kong and Shanghai are Chinese theme parks. They do not try to be an American experience. In fact for Shanghai they have stripped away any American influences - no Main St USA, no American flags. Disney does not equal USA.

Children can and do learn languages easily if they are exposed to them early. And they figure out what is going on much easier than you think.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 16, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

Mobile

Same could be said in America.

Take the new Mickey and the magician show. 90% of it is in French.

How is my 6 year old to understand that?

I have no issue. I am explaining why to me, the park doesn't have the same magic.
Sorry but that's just not true. It's half English half French for spoken word and almost all of the songs are in English.

At WDW they have plenty of announcements in Spanish as well as English. In my opinion DLP goes above and beyond in terms of catering for English speaking guests.
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 16, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Some of the shows have French times and English times. Some are in both languages at once. And at least one had headphones for translation.

I don't speak a word of French and thoroughly enjoyed Mickey and the Magician.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

Mobile

There are very few cases where French is the only language. British theme parks are terrible at using other languages. DLP is excellent at it.

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post

When "let it go" is sung entirely in French then I have a problem. My 6 and 2 year old didnt watch that version on DVD.

WDW have announcements in Spanish but not 1 attraction has Spanish language used during it. All in English.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

When "let it go" is sung entirely in French then I have a problem.
Really? What a shame. Excellent opportunity to use something familiar to teach a foreign language. And introduce them to the idea that other children know their Disney friends as Winnie l'Ourson, Dingo, Tic and Tac etc.

What a great learning opportunity for them!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchfan626
VIP Dibber

When "let it go" is sung entirely in French then I have a problem. My 6 and 2 year old didnt watch that version on DVD.
I'm sorry but how can you have a problem with them speaking French in France

My DS (3) understands that we are in another country and they speak another language. Part of the adventure is him learning to speak to people in French when we go.
1995 WDW (offsite) , 1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club), 2001, 2002, 2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2004 WDW (offsite), 2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2007 WDW (Grand Floridian), 2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), 2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York), May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club), December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Room), April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge), June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), August 2019 DLP (Vienna Dream Castle), December 2019 DLP (Magic Circus)
Stitchfan626 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
chipndalefan
Excited about Disney

WDW have announcements in Spanish but not 1 attraction has Spanish language used during it. All in English.
If Disneyland Paris were to follow this example all the attractions would be in French with a few announcements in English. We should be grateful so much English information is provided!

I'm totally confused as to why you would not expect French people to be speaking French in a French theme park?
chipndalefan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread