Old 30 Dec 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
Goldia- is that the Delia Smith trifle? That’s our family favourite and always one of the puddings We make when we have Xmas dinner with others.
The recipe came from the Tesco website actually. I halved all the ingredients as there's just the four of us. The brownies were shop bought but I did make the chocolate custard from scratch. I haven't made a trifle for many years so I'm pleased it came out well.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I'm very impressed with those of you who make their own stock, would you believe I've never done it before and always resort to a stock cube

Has anyone got a foolproof easy step by step guide on how to do it?

I've been very bad with photos of food the last few days! The homemade curry was a success although it needed a bit more liquid, the slow cooker seemed to dry it out even though it was on low. I wish I'd added a can of coconut milk to it now, next time!

We bought Sam an individual waffle maker as a fun Xmas present and we've had fun making them. Only problem is it takes forever for us all to eat them as it's only one at a time . I may invest in a larger one. The recipe is simple enough on the BBC Good Food website.
We've still got loads of batter so I'll take some photos on the next batch.

It's Jim's birthday today and he has requested a Chinese take away. Very relieved to not be cooking as I've done so much the past 2 weeks! He was close to asking for steak and homemade chips but we persuaded him otherwise

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Oh no Alicia what a pain your French toast brioche plans went out the window.

Thanks Michelle for sharing the chicken recipe I love using my slow cooker for things other than just casseroles and your chicken and rice Mexican dinner looks fab.

Vanillapod it seems we are a hive mind today...Turkey bones stock is in the slow cooker.

Usually I just keep cupfuls in the freezer ready for stews and casseroles. I've not used it in a pie before.

Also, we are having gammon, egg and chips for dinner tonight, great minds

Most of the day has been spent making the Blackforest trifle. Starting with the custard and then all the other parts, before assembling this afternoon.

Because of the effort involved you get both a side view and top view

I have a feeling the kids, well at least one of them, will turn their noses up at it. Oh well they won't starve as there are still 2 tins of unopened biscuits to eat.

I also decided that we are having buffet bits on New Years Eve, I've checked and we have breaded onion rings in the freezer along with a fair few other beige foods. Perfect for NYE
That trifle looks delicious!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I'm very impressed with those of you who make their own stock, would you believe I've never done it before and always resort to a stock cube

I've been very bad with photos of food the last few days! The homemade curry was a success although it needed a bit more liquid, the slow cooker seemed to dry it out even though it was on low. I wish I'd added a can of coconut milk to it now, next time!

We bought Sam an individual waffle maker as a fun Xmas present and we've had fun making them. Only problem is it takes forever for us all to eat them as it's only one at a time . I may invest in a larger one. The recipe is simple enough on the BBC Good Food website.

It's Jim's birthday today and he has requested a Chinese take away. Very relieved to not be cooking as I've done so much the past 2 weeks! He was close to asking for steak and homemade chips but we persuaded him otherwise
The stock is easy to make, you've just got to have the space in your freezer (unless you can use loads in one go) and the Tupperware.

So, we have a whole drawer of the freezer devoted to stock. We save up chicken bones, usually two carcasses is enough and we freeze the bones until we want to make the stock. Then put them in the slow cooker with an onion, celery, carrot, bay leaves, peppercorns, some apple cider vinegar and then enough water to cover the bones. We leave the slow cooker on for 24 hours on low. Then sieve it and discard the bones and veggies. The stock sits in a large mixing bowl until the fat has settled on the top as this gets skimmed off and discarded. Then we portion up the stock into Tupperware cups and store in the freezer for use in soups, stew and casserole.

As for the waffle maker, I have a 4 portion waffle maker that I got from Amazon a few years ago, it's fab, a winner for breakfasts and it's so easy to use. The waffles come out really tasty.

It's my mother in laws birthday today so happy birthday to both Jim and Jenny!

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Pork Stir Fry

Actual vegetables were on the cards for today, and it was good to have some healthy food.

No new desserts as we're eating up the trifle and and Christmas pudding truffles before anything else gets made. Still got room for new cocktails though

Clementine Martini

Juice 6 Clementines, add 100ml vodka, 100ml cointreau and chill. Pour a little into your glass and top up with your choice of sparkling wine.

It's sort of a fancy bucks fizz. It's very tasty

Old 30 Dec 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Exactly what Goldia said.
We just chuck the turkey carcass into a stock pot with onions, celery’, carrots, bay, peppercorns etc, cover with water and leave simmering all day.
Sieve it once cool and then I pour into freezer bags through a tea strainer

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Tonight we’ve had pasta surprise 😉
Pancetta, garlic, a whole punnet of mushrooms, a whole bag of spinach, some Parmesan and a tub of marscapone. The marscapone was a week out of date... 🤫

With a very small salad and a very large glass of wine.
I think the picture makes it look like a sachet of pasta ‘n’ sauce but it was actually perfectly nice 😋

The pie mix is stewing down and reducing in the oven for tomorrow. It’ll be much thicker!

And the last of the turkey is in the curry sauce in the freezer

Whist I might feel like a barrel, I’m quite pleased with the using up that’s been happening
Cheers 🥂
Just about to eat a brownie too 😋

Edited at 09:50 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Pork Stir Fry

Actual vegetables were on the cards for today, and it was good to have some healthy food.

No new desserts as we're eating up the trifle and and Christmas pudding truffles before anything else gets made. Still got room for new cocktails though

Clementine Martini

Juice 6 Clementines, add 100ml vodka, 100ml cointreau and chill. Pour a little into your glass and top up with your choice of sparkling wine.

I must try that drink!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Old 30 Dec 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
Pancetta, garlic, a whole punnet of mushrooms, a whole bag of spinach, some Parmesan and a tub of marscapone. The marscapone was a week out of date... 🤫

I think the picture makes it look like a sachet of pasta ‘n’ sauce but it was actually perfectly nice 😋

The pie mix is stewing down and reducing in the oven for tomorrow. It’ll be much thicker!

Whist I might feel like a barrel, I’m quite pleased with the using up that’s been happening
Cheers 🥂
And the surprise is in the out of date mascarpone?

Sounds great x

Old 30 Dec 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Well I decided to have some turkey with the gammon because it’s still soft and dare I say the M word?! 🥴
Gherkins were there to make us feel vaguely healthy. We need some serious fruit and veg intake tomorrow!
OH made the chips in the ninja and they were really good actually.

I realised I have a picture of breakfast yesterday or the day before? Who knows when quite honestly? It’s all a blur!
The mushrooms look a bit dark in this picture. They were fried with garlic butter and thyme and served on toasted brioche 😋

It was a good egg!

And last up is a turkey, bacon, parsnip, date, sausage, lettuce and cranberry sandwich. No moist maker so Ross would not be happy.

I am indeed eating that in a grey tracksuit. 🤣🤣
OH bought it for me for Xmas and I feel like an inmate

I’ve just poured a Koko Kanu and pineapple juice. I need to clear some Christmas drinks in preparation for dry January 😉

Tomorrow needs to be veg heavy
Your egg is very impressive. I made poached eggs for the first time in my life today and they definitely didn't look like that

Originally Posted by Leelashpurple View Post
Our cake with gingerbread men with their Hogwarts House scarfs!

Christmas Eve lunch of Christmas Ham and Macaroni Cheese

Christmas lunch at my mum's

Boxing day was duck breasts with madeira sauce, red cabbage, dauphinoise potatoes and green beans. Followed by yule log. Mmmm!

Everyone's food looks so yummy and plenty of ideas stored away for next year.
Your ham is a thing of beauty, I am drooling!

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post

I quite fancy buying a waffle maker! I was wondering if such a thing exists that also does pancakes.

I forgot to mention the other day that every single time I think about the dog raiding the cupboard and eating the brioche I laugh. I think it will be my abiding memory of Christmas 2020

Pork Stir Fry

Clementine Martini

Clementine martini sounds absolutely gorgeous.

Cheers 🥂
Your pasta sounds divine, all my favourite things. Your pie looks delicious too. I found a recipe for chicken, cranberry and brie pie that I was going to try but I think I have run out of meal times!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List