UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 20 Aug 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Maxwells in Covent Garden is always one my kids enjoy when we nip up town, you won’t be short of places to eat! There’s a Hard Rock Cafe aswell, have a look on Travel Zoo as they had some good deals on rooms at the Hard Rock hotel but not sure on the dates it’s available. Sky garden is lovely aswell, you have to book tickets (they’re free) and offers amazing views! Tower of London is my fave place in London! A walk down Southbank to see the street entertainers too!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
JamesL
VIP Dibber

JamesL's Reviews
Doing one of the many bus tours of the main "sights" is always good. It's easy on the feet and the recorded commentary does give you a bit of background to colour in what you knew anyway.

We did it with our kids a couple of years ago and did some hopping on and off to get a better look at things. They loved. My recollection is that we used some tesco clubcard points to get a really good deal on the tickets but not sure if that's still available.
Old 22 Aug 21, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thank you all so much i really appreciate it 🥰
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
Maxwells in Covent Garden is always one my kids enjoy when we nip up town, you won’t be short of places to eat! There’s a Hard Rock Cafe aswell, have a look on Travel Zoo as they had some good deals on rooms at the Hard Rock hotel but not sure on the dates it’s available. Sky garden is lovely aswell, you have to book tickets (they’re free) and offers amazing views! Tower of London is my fave place in London! A walk down Southbank to see the street entertainers too!
Thank you so much for your info we are now booked into the hard rock for our 4 nights via travelzoo 😊! We’ve got 1 night with dinner and breakfast and the other 3 nights with breakfast. So excited 😆 x
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

We are going in the morning & staying in the marlin hotel Waterloo. We’ve booked science museum, NHM, top of the shard, Tower of London but didn’t bother with the London eye. We also plan all to do all the iconic sights, Camden & primrose hill, Hyde park etc. We’ve booked a table at the Hard Rock Cafe at Piccadilly as we’ve not been to this one before! We also want to visit Freddie Mercury’s residence while we’re in the area of the science museum & Abbey road studios we all love queen & the Beatles!

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24

Edited at 09:56 AM.
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
The sky garden gives great views over the river
You do need to book though but uts free
Old 22 Aug 21, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

Lots of great suggestions already. We live in London, I'll just add a couple of things:

1. "he loves history hence the NHM". NHM is about animals/dinosaurs (it's good, huge amount to see). If he loves history my number one recommendation would be the Tower of London, a bit pricey but worth it IMO. Imperial War Museum and Cabinet War Rooms are also good, depending on his specific areas of interest.

2. Changing of the guards might interest him?

3. There is a new "horrible histories" boat tour on the Thames this summer. Can't recommend personally as I haven't done it but reviews look good. If he likes Horrible Histories this might be one to consider, if not I would highly recommend one of the boat tours with commentary as they are very entertaining, you see loads and learn a lot (City Cruises is the one we usually use - you can buy a hop on hop off day pass, there are loads of docks they stop at but they do stop in front of the Tower and also in front of London Eye/ Shrek's /Dungeons).

4. If time is pressed I would also leave off Madam Tussaud's. Don't understand the attraction (but understand you have it included in your pass). I've been there myself but never taken my kids even though we live not far from it. I walked past it this morning at about 9am and there was a queue waiting for it to open. Baffling.

5. Kensington is fine as an area to stay (and obviously handy for NHM and Science Museum - which is fantastic), but as recommended above, the area around County Hall might be a bit more convenient.

6. I still think Camden Market is fun for a 10 year old, but food is really a bit of a rip off there now. Was just there a few weeks ago with the kids, we live really close but hardly ever go! Borough Market is great for foodies.

7. Museum of London is free and pretty good. Postman's Park and St. Paul's Cathedral are both close by and the Millennium ("wobbly") bridge not far. To the east the Sky Garden and the Monument are also in this area ("The City").

8. Public transport is generally good and pretty easy, but the Circle and District lines have been not great over the last year (another reason to perhaps reconsider Kensington to stay). Your son doesn't need a ticket for the tube or bus as he is under 11, as long as he stays with you to travel. If he goes anywhere by himself he will need a ticket. Don't forget to use buses as well as the Tube (tourists often don't venture onto buses, but you see so much more, though it can be slower depending on the route and traffic). You and your son should wear a mask on public transport (unless exempt, though I've been on the tube this morning and people are definitely wearing them less and less since "Freedom Day").

9. You could try a walking tour in the evening. The most well known is London Walk's "Jack the Ripper" walk, not sure if suitable for a 10 year old or not, but there are lots of other walks available.

10. During lockdown we took our kids on one of those self guided treasure hunt type things. We did Locked City's Covent Garden one. It's quite a nice way to explore the area. You get clues of things to look for texted to your phone and walk around trying to find them (plaques, statues etc) and see lots of things you would normally walk straight past.

11. HMS Belfast is good if he has any interest in military history. As is the Cutty Sark (though a bit further away in Greenwich).

12. British Museum is very good (but very big) especially if he has any interest in ancient Egypt. It's the sort of place I wouldn't spend too long with a 10 year old, just focus on a few galleries that you have a particular interest in. They have these "Museum Missions" where you scan the QR code and have to find things or take pictures with certain objects etc.

13. If you are passing through King's Cross there is a HP shop and Platform 9 3/4 photo op (but the photo point gets very busy later in the day). Not sure I would go to King's Cross specifically for this, but if you are passing through and your son likes HP...

That's all I can think of for now! I'm sure I should be able to think of tons more...
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Originally Posted by discoclare View Post
Lots of great suggestions already. We live in London, I'll just add a couple of things:

1. "he loves history hence the NHM". NHM is about animals/dinosaurs (it's good, huge amount to see). If he loves history my number one recommendation would be the Tower of London, a bit pricey but worth it IMO. Imperial War Museum and Cabinet War Rooms are also good, depending on his specific areas of interest.

2. Changing of the guards might interest him?

3. There is a new "horrible histories" boat tour on the Thames this summer. Can't recommend personally as I haven't done it but reviews look good. If he likes Horrible Histories this might be one to consider, if not I would highly recommend one of the boat tours with commentary as they are very entertaining, you see loads and learn a lot (City Cruises is the one we usually use - you can buy a hop on hop off day pass, there are loads of docks they stop at but they do stop in front of the Tower and also in front of London Eye/ Shrek's /Dungeons).

4. If time is pressed I would also leave off Madam Tussaud's. Don't understand the attraction (but understand you have it included in your pass). I've been there myself but never taken my kids even though we live not far from it. I walked past it this morning at about 9am and there was a queue waiting for it to open. Baffling.

5. Kensington is fine as an area to stay (and obviously handy for NHM and Science Museum - which is fantastic), but as recommended above, the area around County Hall might be a bit more convenient.

6. I still think Camden Market is fun for a 10 year old, but food is really a bit of a rip off there now. Was just there a few weeks ago with the kids, we live really close but hardly ever go! Borough Market is great for foodies.

7. Museum of London is free and pretty good. Postman's Park and St. Paul's Cathedral are both close by and the Millennium ("wobbly") bridge not far. To the east the Sky Garden and the Monument are also in this area ("The City").

8. Public transport is generally good and pretty easy, but the Circle and District lines have been not great over the last year (another reason to perhaps reconsider Kensington to stay). Your son doesn't need a ticket for the tube or bus as he is under 11, as long as he stays with you to travel. If he goes anywhere by himself he will need a ticket. Don't forget to use buses as well as the Tube (tourists often don't venture onto buses, but you see so much more, though it can be slower depending on the route and traffic). You and your son should wear a mask on public transport (unless exempt, though I've been on the tube this morning and people are definitely wearing them less and less since "Freedom Day").

9. You could try a walking tour in the evening. The most well known is London Walk's "Jack the Ripper" walk, not sure if suitable for a 10 year old or not, but there are lots of other walks available.

10. During lockdown we took our kids on one of those self guided treasure hunt type things. We did Locked City's Covent Garden one. It's quite a nice way to explore the area. You get clues of things to look for texted to your phone and walk around trying to find them (plaques, statues etc) and see lots of things you would normally walk straight past.

11. HMS Belfast is good if he has any interest in military history. As is the Cutty Sark (though a bit further away in Greenwich).

12. British Museum is very good (but very big) especially if he has any interest in ancient Egypt. It's the sort of place I wouldn't spend too long with a 10 year old, just focus on a few galleries that you have a particular interest in. They have these "Museum Missions" where you scan the QR code and have to find things or take pictures with certain objects etc.

13. If you are passing through King's Cross there is a HP shop and Platform 9 3/4 photo op (but the photo point gets very busy later in the day). Not sure I would go to King's Cross specifically for this, but if you are passing through and your son likes HP...

That's all I can think of for now! I'm sure I should be able to think of tons more...
Brilliant thank you for all your information it’s really kind of you to take the time!

We’re booked in the hard rock hotel now next to the Marble Arch 😊

Yes I’ve read about transport and Jacob being free. I’m undecided to get either an oyster or the 7 day travel card!

I’m definitely considering the hop on and off cruise or bus to see a lot.
Old 22 Aug 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
Brilliant thank you for all your information it’s really kind of you to take the time!

We’re booked in the hard rock hotel now next to the Marble Arch 😊

Yes I’ve read about transport and Jacob being free. I’m undecided to get either an oyster or the 7 day travel card!

I’m definitely considering the hop on and off cruise or bus to see a lot.
Ah I missed that. Oh that's good that you got a good deal there. If you do end up going to Madam Tussaud's you can walk there from that hotel if you want. Locally lots of nice places to eat around St Christopher's Place and Marylebone. If you like middle Eastern food you are near Edgware Road where you find lots of places open very late at night!

You don't need to get an Oyster card or a 7 day travelcard, you can just use contactless on your debit card (just touch your card on the reader) and it won't charge you more than the price of a 7 day travelcard (contactless is capped, it will know when you hit the daily cap or 7 day cap for Mon-Sun and stop over charging).
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Originally Posted by discoclare View Post
Ah I missed that. Oh that's good that you got a good deal there. If you do end up going to Madam Tussaud's you can walk there from that hotel if you want. Locally lots of nice places to eat around St Christopher's Place and Marylebone. If you like middle Eastern food you are near Edgware Road where you find lots of places open very late at night!

You don't need to get an Oyster card or a 7 day travelcard, you can just use contactless on your debit card (just touch your card on the reader) and it won't charge you more than the price of a 7 day travelcard (contactless is capped, it will know when you hit the daily cap or 7 day cap for Mon-Sun and stop over charging).
Excellent thanks so much 😊