Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 18 Sep 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Yk96
Gone all Goofy

Shopping and markets in london

Hello
I'm going to London for a few days in October. I know a couple of markets and shopping areas (borough, candem,Oxford street and convent Gardens) are there any other places that are a must do.
Just for purpose I haven't been to London in 15yrs, so I think a lot has changed.

Thanks in advance
Yk96 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Walk along South Bank past the Globe theatre or perhaps a wonder around Borough Market.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

Portabello Road market - I haven’t been for many years though, but it used to be interesting.
There’s also Westfield shopping centre, but if you’re only going for a few days, I wouldn’t bother as there’s lots to see in London.
I’d definitely go to selfridges and Harrods. Lots of tourists like liberty and fortnum and Mason too. Covent garden is a lovely place. Borough market good for food. I find Camden a bit run down personally, but if you like more edgy stuff it’s probably worth a visit.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
LostGirl
Imagineer

LostGirl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Camden is souless now. Been "cleaned up" and everything that made it Camden now gone. Lots of generic stalls selling run of the mill market fodder. No longer a magnet for the alternative. Such a shame.

LostGirl

LostGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

We came across Lambeth street market by accident when we went to see the Leake Street tunnel art. There was some good street food stalls, and I bought a couple of vinyl records. I'm not sure if it's on each day though

We really like Greenwich market as well, you can get a Thames clipper boat there.
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 10:53 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

We had a lovely afternoon visiting Borough Market for lots of different food and then up the Sky Garden - which is free and within walking distance, about 15 mins. You need to book tickets but we’ll worth it for the views.
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Brick Lane, market, food stalls/trucks, curry places & shops

although reading the above its pretty similar to Camden so not sure what it means its been cleaned up? Its still quite rough round the edges imo... the only place ive ever been approached & asked if I want to buy drugs !

Edited at 04:20 PM.
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Spitalfields for a bit of vintage and boho and if you do go to Brick Lane, which is really only any good on a Sunday then try popping along to Club Row. It’s a vibrant flower and plant market and usually very popular.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

If you're there on a Sunday Columbia Road Flower Market is lovely. In before times I found Spitalfields to be great for boutique type stalls - not been for a few years though.

I'd say Camden is a mixed bag, it isn't what it was, but it's still a bit funky - there are things you wouldn't see elsewhere there still, and the cheap generic hippy junk that was there in the 90s. We went a few weeks ago and it was a bit hectic for me, but I got some lovely cheap summer trousers. Did miss seeing all the punks and goths though.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List