Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jan 22, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Carpet colour advice please

Decorating for the first time in years! Going for grey/silver wallpaper and grey sofas, what colour carpets and curtains should we go for? Will grey too look too dull?
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

We decorated in all grey at summer. I don’t think it looks dull. Here is a pic to give you an idea of colours.👍🏻
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

We don’t have carpet anymore but have grey walls and grey curtains and sofas but we injected colour with a lighter rug and colourful cushions as all grey would look quite flat in our front room
ScoopsAhoy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We went for a neutral this time as I felt like if we changed the colour scheme it would always go.

Old 20 Jan 22, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

I think a grey carpet would be fine, and there is a huge choice too!

If I could offer an opinion... I would go for a more tightly woven carpet. You see all those photos in instagram that have beautiful vacuum cleaner lines on the carpet, but trust me... they do NOT last! Once you have feet on those lines, it begins to look a little messy... imho

We went with silver/grey for our new decor, and I love it, but I wish I had gone for a different carpet for the above reason.

I had hoped to post a picture, but for some reason, I can't
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
We went for a neutral this time as I felt like if we changed the colour scheme it would always go.

I have the exactly the same colour in my bedroom. It is more a gilver than grey.
It just a little bit warmer and more neutral than grey and as you say Louise, a good match for when you want to change the colour scheme.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the ideas - we do need carpet, our dog doesn’t do well on laminate flooring, and would have a field day with a rug! Will attempt to go out to have a look when DD at school. I hate all the choosing!
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Have you thought about LVT if your dog doesn't get on with laminate? I have it and my two dogs are absolutely fine. You don't hear them walking on it as you do with laminate and they don't skid about on it at all because it is slightly textured.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Thanks for the ideas - we do need carpet, our dog doesn’t do well on laminate flooring, and would have a field day with a rug! Will attempt to go out to have a look when DD at school. I hate all the choosing!
Don’t know whether you have a modern or old house but beware of uneven floorboards if it is old. The carpets that we inherited were in a dreadful state so we didn’t pay much attention to what was underneath 😩 They were also dark or Heather mix. We changed to a light wool short pile a greige with top notch underlay just over a year ago. The living room looks as though it has ripples in it even though it is stretched tight - run your hand/hoover over it and it is smooth. Apparently it is the floorboards showing through and the light reflect cos it is a light carpet. The bedrooms are the same😭 not quite as obvious due to not having the same amount of empty floor space. Carpet shop/fitters have relaid it and stretched it. We may have to have it boarded but don’t really want to go that route.

Anyway just a warning as apparently if I’d picked the silver it would have been worse!
Old 21 Jan 22, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I would go for grey - and agree with previous poster to go for a short pile carpet - especially with a dog. We laid this one from John Lewis 8 years ago and it still looks like when we put it down.