Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 22, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Heating tips

With gas prices now through the roof and set to go even higher in April, I thought we could share our top Dibber tips on heating/staying warm.

We generally use our central heating for 1 hour a day. 20 mins in the morning to warm up the office before work. 20 mins in the evening, and 20 mins before bed to warm the room. Heating is in eco mode on the boiler. It only goes on if we absolutely need ot though.

During the day we wrap up as much as we can with multiple layers. I use a hot water bottle at the foot of the bed (under the duvet), which works well.

No more than 1 shower a day, and water temp capped at the temp we need (no need for scalding water, ever!).

Thinking about getting a plug in smart storage heater for cheaper spot heating of rooms in use. Although not sure if the economy 7 tariffs are now worth it.

Edited at 10:52 AM.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

I was under the impression that keeping your home at a constant temp was better than heating it from low temperatures at time throughout the day so I’ll be interested to see what others say.
We have ours on throughout the day if we are in so if it drops to below 17.5 then the hive is set to kick in (not during the night though obviously) we have dual zones too so we can just boost the heat upstairs before going to bed.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I don’t know if this is true but I once read that your boiler works harder to heat a property if its only on for short bursts because it’s heating a cold area rather topping it up.
We do turn ours off over night but my husband and I are up well before the children so it’s turned on early morning and set at 17.5. It stays on that all day unless its really, really cold outside then it goes up to 18.5. So the house is a constant temperature and never feels cold. This works really well for us, its never cold or too hot 👍🏻 I don’t know if its his medication but my youngest really feels the cold so we can’t let it get cold anyway. We all shower daily but my middle son has two 😖 he ‘needs’ one in the morning before school and he trains every night so has a shower again after that.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
I was under the impression that keeping your home at a constant temp was better than heating it from low temperatures at time throughout the day so I’ll be interested to see what others say.
We have ours on throughout the day if we are in so if it drops to below 17.5 then the hive is set to kick in (not during the night though obviously) we have dual zones too so we can just boost the heat upstairs before going to bed.
Snap 😂😂😂😂
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
mine is for sure. I watch my units on my metre (its an odd system of bio communal heating but we pay per therm) - when I was away over Christmas and NY I didn't use a unit. I normally turn it on when I wake up around 6am to make a pot of tea and leave it on all day until an hour or so before bed - each room set at own temperature so I keep my bedroom cool but sitting room hot etc. Usually use c20 units a day at this time of year (1 for showers in summer) but when I returned early Jan it took me over a hundred units to warms it up (In a 12 hr period) so I will still turn off when I go away for a week or so but won't for weekends etc and remain on all day just for for 8hrs or so a night as that is the most economical
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We have ours on from about 4pm and the thermostat will turn it on and off as necessary until around 9pm.

Rarely have it on in the mornings as we all get too hot rushing around to get ready and out.

If it feels cold I’ll boost the heating for a couple of hours to take the chill off.

We all got oodies for Christmas and they’re excellent to snuggle in. We’d definitely pop a jumper in before cranking the heating up.

Ours isn’t a particularly cold house and once the hearings on it can feel very warm so easier to try a jumper first and see if that’s enough.

We’re in London so tend to have milder weather than elsewhere.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I'm amazed that, with current freezing temperatures overnight, 20 minutes in the morning would really make much of a difference.

I've just checked our Hive over the last week and our heating has been on c8 hours a day on average.

It first comes on between 4:30 and 5:30am, depending on how cold it is, to warm the house up to 19 degrees for when we get up around 7am. It then goes off an on throughout the day where it's set to keep the temperature no cooler than 18 degrees. It's then set to 19 degrees from 3:30 - 11:30pm.

I'm at home all day, but I don't need the house to be as high as 18 degrees as I tend to be in and out with the dog and going for a run, so I'm going to lower the daytime temperature a bit, so thanks for posting this thread and making me take a look.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The tips are a great idea but all depend on the age and type of house.

What will work well on a new build will be hopeless on an older house and probably useless on a Victorian house.

Also older people need a house to be warmer which I suppose is due to blood circulation, not sure.

Our heating goes on at 8.00am and goes off at 10.15pm. I start it off at 19 degrees and by the evening I have it up to 22 degrees. No way are we being cold.

However Mrs Morrow would set it at 25 degrees.

The stat was showing 16.5 when we got up at 6.00am. Brrr, hate the cold.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

In very cold weather we generally leave the heating switched on 24/7 and control the temperature with the thermostat, turning it down to 15 overnight. We find this better than heating the house from cold each morning. Each radiator has its own thermostat so the temperature for each room can also be controlled.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
shearwood
Excited about Disney

same as above , on 24/7 , keeps house warm and only need 3 radiators on , costs on average £50 a month
shearwood is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List