Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Jan 22, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

an earlier indirect or late Pm flight home to UK from Las Vegas...?

Hello Dibbers...
I am planning an autumn trip with OH, probably 4 nights in LA just to do Disney & an LA in a day Tour & 6 nights Las Vegas.Have not been to either before.

I am having a tentative look using the BA custom tool & if prices etc are OK would happily book a custom package as Ive priced out alternatives DIY have found them pretty hard to beat.

I cannot confirm definite dates at the moment as the NFL draft is not out til April - OH supports San Francisco 49ers & would like to see them play the Raiders in Las Vegas...so very eventually getting to the point...

BA do have flights direct from Las Vegas to LHR but leaving at 2130 - arriving UK time 1515. At the moment they are only a £2 more than various indirect options which leave throughout the day and arrive by 0900-1000ish. UK ...so cost in this instance is not a factor, although costs may change by the time I come to book.

OH says go for the direct , all I can think is that its going to be a long time until I can get into a bed again ! we have a 3+ hour drive from LHR after the flight...

What would you do ? early indirect flight as the holiday is kinda done or make the most of your last holiday day in Vegas & catch the late flight home?
Any insights or opinions most welcome !
Rachaelwoolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

The three hour drive home would make me tend to prefer the earlier one (though it’s possible that the later overnight flight might allow for better sleep on the plane)?

How do you find sleeping on a West to East flight normally?

We have had great last days in Las Vegas if you decide to take the later flight
Old 24 Jan 22, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I have no issue with indirect flights but for an extra cost of £3 I’d take the direct flight.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
The three hour drive home would make me tend to prefer the earlier one (though it’s possible that the later overnight flight might allow for better sleep on the plane)?

How do you find sleeping on a West to East flight normally?

We have had great last days in Las Vegas if you decide to take the later flight
Thanks KarenG
I have only flown to Orlando once return- but stopped off for a few days in NYC- no other USA adventures unfortunately. the only other long flights were Canada but that was 20odd years ago but I don't sleep well in anything other than a bed unfortunately which is my rationale for considering the early option. Im glad its not just me !
Rachaelwoolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I have no issue with indirect flights but for an extra cost of £3 I’d take the direct flight.
Thanks
I guess its less variables in the mix & potentially less to go wrong !
Old 24 Jan 22, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I would also go for the direct. Firstly direct obviously means you have more time to at least try and sleep. Getting in to UK later hopefully means you arrive at a time you would have been awake in UK, so hopefully more alert to drive. Getting in to UK later means less time before its UK bedtime.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
I would also go for the direct. Firstly direct obviously means you have more time to at least try and sleep. Getting in to UK later hopefully means you arrive at a time you would have been awake in UK, so hopefully more alert to drive. Getting in to UK later means less time before its UK bedtime.
Thanks Sam7
Having not done it or travel on a plane for more than a few hours with little time difference rarely I can't work it out
But this is common sense...Im being swayed to direct
Old 24 Jan 22, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Direct flight for me. Indirects on the return are easy but I never sleep well on flights so always prefer to arrive later so I'm not struggling through the day. If you're really concerned about the drive and have the time to spare, you could always book into a hotel near LHR. Get a decent sleep and then drive back the next morning.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Direct flight for me. Indirects on the return are easy but I never sleep well on flights so always prefer to arrive later so I'm not struggling through the day. If you're really concerned about the drive and have the time to spare, you could always book into a hotel near LHR. Get a decent sleep and then drive back the next morning.
Great
I'm converted -direct if we can get it !
Good idea too about the hotel although OH may be happy to drive as he is such a good sleeper...although he may well be smothered by fellow passengers on the flight on account of his ever impressive snoring !
and as karen G has found..we could miss out on a great last day !

Edited at 08:29 PM.
Old 25 Jan 22, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We always get the latest flight home we can, So next month we leave LA at 9.50 , two reasons for this .
1) It means by the time we are up in the air , its getting on for bedtime so we all usually sleep through the flight
2) We get a full last day , as it happens this year we will be driving from Phoenix to LA on the last day, but we will stop off at places and not have to rush about .

We also have a 3 hr drive back home from LHR .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List