Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 19 Aug 21, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Reservations are there for the foreseeable, if not permanently.

I haven't heard much about people rebooking on the day TBH. I don't believe there's a new group released for the afternoon, so if it's booked out, you won't be able to change your reservation. But you can probably still hop there.
It's my belief is that the reservation system will be there permanently because it helps Disney keep costs down. They can work out staffing, food and beverages, waste management and sorts of other bits of data they can analyse way in advance. They can follow the trends and adjust accordingly. To know exactly the numbers of who's visiting gives them a huge amount of benefits for planning ahead, especially when they can cap it to their choosing.
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
catki11
Apprentice Imagineer

Am I correct in thinking Genie will be part of MDE rather than a separate app? The video on Disney’s YouTube channel makes it sound like it is, but it’s not 100% clear.
Old 19 Aug 21, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by catki11 View Post
Am I correct in thinking Genie will be part of MDE rather than a separate app? The video on Disney’s YouTube channel makes it sound like it is, but it’s not 100% clear.
Correct. It'll be within the existing MDE. Nothing new, or separate to download. Just an addition to what we have already.
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

If Disney are looking to price people out so the parks are quieter and full of folks happy to splash the cash, then who are they thinking will fill all of the value resorts? Surely they're aimed at the more budget conscious visitor who wants to stay onsite?

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Having read through the posts and recovered from my initial dismay. I can see how business wise it makes sense. However don't tell me it's for my benefit and a better experience.

Thousands of customers will still go
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
catki11
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mostlybobbins View Post
Correct. It'll be within the existing MDE. Nothing new, or separate to download. Just an addition to what we have already.
That’s good to know, thanks. Better to have everything in one place, especially as DAS will be on MDE too!
Old 19 Aug 21, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
No misread of the room IMO. Rooms are selling out at full rack rate even with no on-site benefits, after hours events are selling out at twice the price that the previous parties were, can't keep enough merch on the shelves, etc. People are almost literally throwing money at Disney at every opportunity.

I think the backlash (which as someone already said, is coming from the vocal minority - the average guest probably has no clue anything was announced) and will settle down in a few days, then there may be another small spike when they release the tier 1 prices. And then people will start paying for it and it will become normal. Just like every other cost change that has happened over the years.

They might lose some Brits due to the cost over a longer stay but WDW itself won't really see that impact. They have more than enough domestic guests to meet targets.
I agree.

Every year Disney raises ticket prices, increases parking charges, starts charging for things that were free (eg. hotel parking), etc. Each year people moan about Disney being greedy. It's something I've constantly seen over the last 10 years. And yet the parks get ever busier. It's like the more Disney charges for things, the more people it attracts.

People will complain about having to pay for Genie+ and Lightning Lane passes. That's understandable, because they're now paying for something they didn't before. And it will put off a few people and they won't go back. But the rest will realise they still want to visit the Disney parks. They'll factor in the additional cost, perhaps choosing to spend a day or two less at Disney, maybe staying offsite for some of their stay, or maybe just paying a few hundred dollars extra. It'll just mean not Drinking around the World any more. Or maybe just skipping every other country.

When the new 50th Anniversary stuff starts in October, they'll watch YouTube videos about it and read all the chatter about it online, feel like they are missing out, and want to go back to their "home".

When Tron or the GOTG ride opens, they'll see that and want to experience it.

The majority of people will continue to go and, no doubt, the new stuff will attract a few more people to the parks. The parks will still be as crowded as ever and we'll keep on remarking that there's never a quiet time at the parks any more*.

(* except this week, which seems really quiet)

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Thousands of customers will still go
Tens of millions of customers will still go.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:07 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
catki11
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
If Disney are looking to price people out so the parks are quieter and full of folks happy to splash the cash, then who are they thinking will fill all of the value resorts? Surely they're aimed at the more budget conscious visitor who wants to stay onsite?
I wondered that too, unless people will choose to stay in a value rather than a moderate or deluxe so they can afford genie+. Saying that people may prefer to stay somewhere off site which is nicer for the same or less money.
Old 19 Aug 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by catki11 View Post
Saying that people may prefer to stay somewhere off site which is nicer for the same or less money.
Makes sense, especially if they drive. There is no incentive at all now to spend £6-10k on a deluxe Disney room for a fortnight.
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
I imagine it will be a domino affect, the people that could only just afford value hotels will now go offsite or not go at all, those that stayed at moderate may now be priced out of moderate and will go to the value hotels, and so on.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List