Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Aug 21, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

CV’s these days?

Hi - I could use some advice please!

My husband is currently hoping for a career change - he wants to become an apprentice truck driver.
I am in the process of sorting out a CV - the last one was from 2003 and is abysmal! 😂

What I want to know is how far back to I need to go - do we need a full past employment history back to when he was a teenager doing shoe repairs, and then when he was doing computer hardware Installation etc? It’s not really relevant but I guess shows his history?
More recently he has been a collection and network driver for Royal Mail - so much more relevant

Also anything else I should be aware of or any tips?

Im using the Word template - but it is very succinct and to the point - no room for waffle!

Appreciate any help! Thank you
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 21, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I have sifted through thousands of CVs over the years. The best advice is to put your self in the position of reading the CV. In fact in the position of reading dozens of CVs or more.
TBH. it is mind numbing reading the same stuff over and over again knowing that that most of id is inflated and contains the latest mumbo jumbo.
For a CV to even get properly read, it must grab the attention of the reader and stand out. Otherwise it will just go in the "more of the same" pile.
No one wants to read wordy waffle so being very succinct and to the point helps. Absolute maximum of two A4 sides. No one will read any more so if there is something important in pages 3,4 etc., it will never get notices.
Think of what makes the applicant different from the others - unique selling points. What have they done that the reader might consider special.
If there are a lot of applicants for a small number of jobs - then a CV must stand out to have ant real chance. Include relevant and recent experience. No one cares about ten years ago as things have changed so much.
You want to also leave "hooks" that should he get an interview, he is happy to discuss. Make it east for an interviewer to pick out and ask questions.

I appreciate that this is really difficult, but you want to give it your best shot. Always think about how it will be read and NOT how you want to write it.

Edited at 03:37 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 21, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Thank you - this is very helpful and makes total sense.

So in terms of including employment - would you not even put the full history? Or just keep it very brief and focus on the most recent?

Also he has had a necessary career break to be a carer for our two disabled sons - out of interest, is this something that would put you off potentially?

Will include in covering letter that he is now in a position to fully focus on career, etc and will try and put the skills learned whilst being in a caring role, but it is a gap in his work at the end of the day 😬

Thank you for taking the time to reply - I do feel pretty clueless!

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I have sifted through thousands of CVs over the years. The best advice is to put your self in the position of reading the CV. In fact in the position of reading dozens of CVs or more.
TBH. it is mind numbing reading the same stuff over and over again knowing that that most of id is inflated and contains the latest mumbo jumbo.
For a CV to even get properly read, it must grab the attention of the reader and stand out. Otherwise it will just go in the "more of the same" pile.
No one wants to read wordy waffle so being very succinct and to the point helps. Absolute maximum of two A4 sides. No one will read any more so if there is something important in pages 3,4 etc., it will never get notices.
Think of what makes the applicant different from the others - unique selling points. What have they done that the reader might consider special.
If there are a lot of applicants for a small number of jobs - then a CV must stand out to have ant real chance. Include relevant and recent experience. No one cares about ten years ago as things have changed so much.
You want to also leave "hooks" that should he get an interview, he is happy to discuss. Make it east for an interviewer to pick out and ask questions.

I appreciate that this is really difficult, but you want to give it your best shot. Always think about how it will be read and NOT how you want to write it.
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 21, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I would cover 10-15 years work history in the CV, no more than that. If the career break falls into that period, then he will need to mention it. As the past work experience won’t be directly relevant to the new career I would keep the descriptions of each role fairly light too.

I don’t always agree with the “2 sides” max rule (for a senior professional this is not sufficient to showcase skills and experience), but in this scenario it would definitely make sense.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 21, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Thank you - I will take on board your advice. Much appreciated.
At the moment it’s on 1 A4 side - keeping right to the point. Will add a little more relevant info in the covering letters.
He tends to do very well in interviews, so just need to get him to that point which I know is much harder these days.

Thank you again
Old 15 Aug 21, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Unless a teenager, I don’t think 1 page of a4 is enough, but I think 2 is plenty. Try to fill both pages with relevant and useful information. As Claudette says mine is longer than that, but I am an accountant and every job I have had since uni has been relevant.

I like, name, address, date of birth and phone number at top.

Then a paragraph with a bit of a summary about him, professionally, so his key strengths etc, organised, efficient etc etc

I like at the bottom hobbies and interests. I really get a feel of the person

You could put other jobs include but are not limited to shoe repair, IT installation etc.

Caring for your sons would not put me off at all. However if possible to slip it in that it’s no longer needed maybe, it may just allay any potential worries about time off required.

Good luck to him x
Old 15 Aug 21, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Thank you for your help
That is good to know about the carer duties - I have put that he is now in a position to fully focus on his career, but I am worried they might feel this could be an issue.
I submitted an application online today and it filled all the details in but it doesn’t allow for a covering letter to be added - I guess this is the modern way of applying for jobs these days!

Will get there eventually! 😂
Hoping the current lack of HGV drivers will provide more opportunities 🤞

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Unless a teenager, I don’t think 1 page of a4 is enough, but I think 2 is plenty. Try to fill both pages with relevant and useful information. As Claudette says mine is longer than that, but I am an accountant and every job I have had since uni has been relevant.

I like, name, address, date of birth and phone number at top.

Then a paragraph with a bit of a summary about him, professionally, so his key strengths etc, organised, efficient etc etc

I like at the bottom hobbies and interests. I really get a feel of the person

You could put other jobs include but are not limited to shoe repair, IT installation etc.

Caring for your sons would not put me off at all. However if possible to slip it in that it’s no longer needed maybe, it may just allay any potential worries about time off required.

Good luck to him x
Old 15 Aug 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

I was laid off about 18 months ago, and as part of the package, there was support from an external company who work a lot with me on my CV.

One of the big takeaways, especially as I'm looking to change direction, is that there are 2 types of CV, Chronological, which is what we generally think of when we think CV, and Functional. The Functional one focusses on a list of skills and competencies - what you did, rather than when and where - with the employment history as just a list of dates and job titles on the second page. This was what was recommended to me as more relevant for having been in one job for a long time and looking to change.

I have a master copy with a lot of detail and headers, then when I'm applying for a job I look at what they job description is looking for, and pick and choose what to put across.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 21, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

This is interesting - and the functional CV sounds very similar to the template I am using… it seems more suitable for a career change. However it feels weird not covering everything from school onwards but that is the way I was always taught to write CV’s - obviously not the modern way! I think this new version is much more suitable really

Thank you for your input

Originally Posted by Mo&Chris View Post
I was laid off about 18 months ago, and as part of the package, there was support from an external company who work a lot with me on my CV.

One of the big takeaways, especially as I'm looking to change direction, is that there are 2 types of CV, Chronological, which is what we generally think of when we think CV, and Functional. The Functional one focusses on a list of skills and competencies - what you did, rather than when and where - with the employment history as just a list of dates and job titles on the second page. This was what was recommended to me as more relevant for having been in one job for a long time and looking to change.

I have a master copy with a lot of detail and headers, then when I'm applying for a job I look at what they job description is looking for, and pick and choose what to put across.

/Mo
Old 15 Aug 21, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you need to emphasise the qualities and skills the employer will be looking for in jobs going back 10 years or so, then you can always add a line saying ‘full employment history available on request’
So just cover the dates he was there, and the job title, then elaborate where the skills are relevent, I would also add a little personal skills type section - so things like clean full licence, profficency in office programs, and any other relevent qualifications - in terms of schooling I would pop the school, and then his gcse & alevel subjects, and put including Grade x maths, grade X English, if he got the passes, assuming he’s a little passed schooling being indicative of his current employability (but the pass in English is likely to be important)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List