Grand Floridian 37 52.11%
POFQ 34 47.89%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Sep 21, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Grand Floridian or POFQ?

We're visiting WDW at Christmas and I'm having a hard time deciding on where to stay for the first 5 nights.

I've visited POFQ in the past but never stayed there. I thought it had a really nice vibe but I worry that the smaller rooms may be an issue for us (we'll have 2 strollers) I'm also used to having a balcony so I'm not sure how we'd get on without one. I like how small and accessible the resort is though. A standard room is £1172.

I've stayed at Grand Floridian at Christmastime before and found it really festive, the proximity to MK is also a massive draw and the decorations in the lobby are amazing. When I stayed here last time it just felt so Christmassy. I'm not sure about how nice the rooms are though as I'm sure I read that it was in need of a refurb? However, we stayed here when we took our DD1 for her first trip when she was 4 months old. We've since had another baby who will be just over 1 when we travel and I feel like I want to stay there for her first trip too, especially as we haven't been able to visit the States for so long due to Covid.

I just don't know if I can justify the cost for a room with no other benefits other than being close to the park. The decorations are incredible so there is that. A standard room here is £3026.

After our 5 nights we're moving to CCV for 8 nights so we'll still be at an MK resort.

Please help me decide what to do. Where would you choose and why?

Edited at 10:13 AM.
act1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I don't like the GF rooms, Christmas is about the only time I'd consider staying there. But because you have the CCV reservation and WL is also beautiful at Christmas, I would go with POFQ.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

We have this problem too, but with Art of Animation vs Beach/Yacht Club.

Similar reasons - we will have a pushchair too, we are used to a balcony and this is especially wanted now we have a little one who naps in the afternoon. We haven't been for 4 years due to pregnancy, baby and then Covid after going every year so feel I want to treat us!

However, we also have Animal Kingdom Lodge and Hard Rock Universal booked during this trip, so it's not like we don't already have luxury. The price difference is eye watering. And we spent a lot of our holiday savings on our house as I really didn't think the borders would be reopening any time soon!

However, Covid has also taught me that you can't rely on the future being how you planned it. I abolutely love the Beach Club pool and vibe and I know I'l pine after it if I stay at AOA, so we've decided to go for it and I'm so happy now I've made that decision! Which is why I'm advising you to go with Grand Floridian My justification is that we shall visit less often and do it in luxury. I don't mind waiting a little longer as I look forward to it more when I am staying at my dream hotels.

Hope that helps!
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Emily90 View Post
We have this problem too, but with Art of Animation vs Beach/Yacht Club.

Similar reasons - we will have a pushchair too, we are used to a balcony and this is especially wanted now we have a little one who naps in the afternoon. We haven't been for 4 years due to pregnancy, baby and then Covid after going every year so feel I want to treat us!

However, we also have Animal Kingdom Lodge and Hard Rock Universal booked during this trip, so it's not like we don't already have luxury. The price difference is eye watering. And we spent a lot of our holiday savings on our house as I really didn't think the borders would be reopening any time soon!

However, Covid has also taught me that you can't rely on the future being how you planned it. I abolutely love the Beach Club pool and vibe and I know I'l pine after it if I stay at AOA, so we've decided to go for it and I'm so happy now I've made that decision! Which is why I'm advising you to go with Grand Floridian My justification is that we shall visit less often and do it in luxury. I don't mind waiting a little longer as I look forward to it more when I am staying at my dream hotels.

Hope that helps!
Good for you! I hope you have a lovely time. When do you go?
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

We have stayed at both and really like both resorts, however, whilst our room at POFQ was smaller I personally would save what is a considerable difference in price and stay at POFQ, especially as you will be moving to CCV.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

The room didn't look that nice in a recent Tim tracker vlog, definitely needs a refurbishment.
Old 24 Sep 21, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
The room didn't look that nice in a recent Tim tracker vlog, definitely needs a refurbishment.
Can you post the link to that vlog please?
Old 24 Sep 21, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Not stayed at GF (Yet) but we love POR and POFQ, the theming, use of both resorts and the Boats (If there back on) to Disney Springs. if we want to sit out we just get a couple of chairs and sit on the walkway by the door to the room. Either way have fun!

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Based on the fact you will be at CCV later in the trip I would pick POFQ.

The cost saving is significant and POFQ is a lovely resort, I don’t think you will miss the balcony for 5 nights to be honest.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

POFQ. Lovely resort. Love being able to jump on a boat to Disney Springs. It's nice to walk around the resort too. Also, you're saving a fair chunk of money too... That alone would swing it for me (being a tight Yorkshire bloke! )