Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Nov 21, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Interesting article about testing.

Just came across this. If I’m reading it right it is saying testing 3-5 days post arrival does not have to be supervised. As we suspected.

independent/travel...-b1954556.html
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Briggykins
Helping Minnie

It also seems to suggest that you can't use the NHS test, which I understand quite a lot of us were planning to do?

Also I've never quite understood why the US government cares about the day 2 return test. You'll have left the country by then, why does it matter? Or is it a UK government thing?

Hopefully this might be less of a problem by the time you and I go, tho somehow I doubt it
Briggykins is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Charlangela
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Briggykins View Post
It also seems to suggest that you can't use the NHS test, which I understand quite a lot of us were planning to do?

Also I've never quite understood why the US government cares about the day 2 return test. You'll have left the country by then, why does it matter? Or is it a UK government thing?

Hopefully this might be less of a problem by the time you and I go, tho somehow I doubt it
I think thats just a "you can't because our government say you can't" but if I have some at home because we test anyway, how will they know if I take one away with me?
Pre Trip Report| Trip Report

Charlangela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

‘You cannot use free lateral flow tests for international journeys’.

Nonsense, of course you can. You can use them wherever the authorities where you are testing permit them to be used or should I say wherever the authority doesn’t ban their use. We have dozens of the things- constantly handed out to our kids at school to bring home.
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for the link mrsbenny... Oh dear, I hope Simon Calder is talking a fair ammount of misinformation rubbish.. looks like we should be checking the CDC and UK government sites on a daily - if not hourly, basis cos what Simon Calder states is hugely different to everything I've studied and understand so far *sigh*
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
Thanks for the link mrsbenny... Oh dear, I hope Simon Calder is talking a fair ammount of misinformation rubbish.. looks like we should be checking the CDC and UK government sites on a daily - if not hourly, basis cos what Simon Calder states is hugely different to everything I've studied and understand so far *sigh*
There seems to be a lot of misinformation from all the travel experts 😂.
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

I think the difference is when you apply for the free NHS tests part of the condition is that it can't be used for travel purposes. The main reason as far as I understand is that the government don't want to be paying for your travel tests, the other country for the most part doesn't care, and the chance of anyone finding out and doing anything is next to none, but you are told not to use them for travel.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
‘You cannot use free lateral flow tests for international journeys’.

Nonsense, of course you can. You can use them wherever the authorities where you are testing permit them to be used or should I say wherever the authority doesn’t ban their use. We have dozens of the things- constantly handed out to our kids at school to bring home.
Technically he's correct. The pre-departure test is your international journey test. The post-arrival test isn't actually a travel test. But he's worded it in such a way that it reads like you HAVE to use a clinic test for post-arrival, which is false.

If people aren't comfortable taking NHS tests with them, a home test kit from CVS is perfectly fine and $25 for two.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

The 3 hotels I have booked for my Christmas/New Year break have all emailed me that they offer testing at reception (free) albeit in CA not Florid I expect many hotels will offer same service. IE Check of Covid pass and test at checkin
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
I think the difference is when you apply for the free NHS tests part of the condition is that it can't be used for travel purposes. The main reason as far as I understand is that the government don't want to be paying for your travel tests, the other country for the most part doesn't care, and the chance of anyone finding out and doing anything is next to none, but you are told not to use them for travel.
exactly this

Officially what Simon Calder is saying is correct, that the free NHS tests are not for travel. This is why you have to pay for the Boots and other places tests for the official documentation for entry to USA and other countries and why UK people have to pay for the day 2 tests when you arrive back to UK.

My guess its for two reasons
  1. As dan223 has said, the UK Government don't want to be paying for your travel tests
  2. The free at home NHS tests are not supervised and as you are out of the country the test results can not be verified and put into the track and trace system.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List