Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 18 Dec 06, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post

The Trip that almost wasnt! - The Journey & Arrival

Date: Nov 23rd 2006

Starring

Jane: Partner, Age: Deleted, Height: 5'4, Size: Normal, Food: Boring, Paitence: None, Understanding: None
Keith: (ME),Age: 36,Height: 6'6",Size: Shed,Food: Anything Except Veg, Paitence: Stacks, Understanding: All Things
Angelina: DD 1,Age: 6,Height: 48",Size: Child like,Food: Junk, No Sauces, Paitence: Little if none, Understanding: only for herself
Eleana: DD 2,Age: 2,Height: Mini Tornado,Size: Deadly,Food: Anything Off Your Plate, Paitence: Whats That, Understanding: Dink,Dink
Jen: Mum,Age: Stone,Height: 4'5" in scooter,Size: Small Car,Food: Nothing Spicey, Paitence: OAP none needed, Understanding: OAP none wanted
Vic: Dad,Age: 60ish,Height: God Like,Size: Senisable,Food: Nothing Wierd, Paitence: Married to Mum, Understanding: Still Married

O.K, So its the Day before we leave and I (ME), sole B\';><y planner and organiser is making sure everthing is ready and sorted.
Money: Check
Paperwork: Check
Housesitter: Check
Time off Work: Check,Check
Flight On Time: Check,Check
Taxi Booked & Time Confirmed: Check,Check,Check

(Footsteps behind me,looking over my shoulder)

So when Jane had checked everything several times we went to sleep,
Taxi was booked to pick us up at 04:00 to arrive at Gatwick for our 08:00 checkin time (4hrs giving us time to stop on way for toilet/food breaks)

I wake up at 03:00, got in my car and went to pick the olds up, (They better be ready)
MUM: Good morning Son
ME: Alright enough of the pleasentarys, get your a? e in the car, we have a schedule to keep to

finally shovel them and there uneeded lugage in the car and get them back to my house without any incident. the police making sure that no traffic problems would slow down our passage for the mile from the deepest darkest banjo country of Highbridge to upperclass Burnham.

Arrive at 03:30, unpack car and start to pace for the arrival of the Taxi. If I had not given up smoking I be doing a impression of Ivor the Engine.

Anyway 04:00 comes and I line the troop up ready to pile them into the spaces Taxi that had been organised. 04:05, 04:10, its O.K, just give them a ring (No Answer),04:15, where is it,... 04:30, Im in my car in, drove round to where the driver lives, Im stood in the middle of the road shouting to wake him up, Dad is crowbarring the door open. NOTHING

Then there is a twitch at the window, "its OK dad put the Jaws of Life away there life in them there curtains. The driver finally opens his front door. I restrain from seeing if his head works like a screw top bottle, and remind him of his commitment to his chosen career.
He makes some stupid comment about the taxi being booked for the 24th, Idontthinksomeladdo, get dressed and get your Taxi around to my address before I call the fraud squad on you.
After being very simpathtic to the driver I drive home and explain the error of the drivers way. we wait and at 05:00 he arrives.
All plans of pre trip pics abbandoned, any stops on the way will be dropped and the taxi better be able to travel at light speed for us to get to the airport on time.

We throw everything into the Taxi and relise that we may have a struggle on the way back due to space.
First gear engaged, Turbo Locked, GO... GO... GO... GO.
We arrive at Gatwick at 09:15, the trip was very quite as none wanted to getinto whos fault the Taxi trip was.

We all rush Well those that can rush, up to checkin only to find that the flight had been delayed by 45 Mins
My Shedule is being right thrown out, So we now book in geti of the bags (what do you mean the wife and kids cant travel in the hold), Gatwick is such a nice airport to wait in unles you have certain members of your party having just woken up, wanting all your attention. I know terrible but there your parents, what are you going to do.

We finally board the plain at 12:15, get our seats, right were ready, Fly away, Captain,

Bing, Boing: We are sorry to say that we have a small problem with the plane, This was not the thing my wife wanted to hear, this being her first flight, and that she hates anything new or old in TCD case.
If it was not for the special combination lock on her seatbelt that I had installed & the nailing her feet to the floor, she would have been off the plane before the end of the announcement.

We sit waiting & waiting. Im Thinking All we need now is the wings have fallen off, end of holiday

Bing, Boing: This is the Captain speaking, due to some problems with air con, we will have to take the long way round via Greenland,Thailand, Australia to get there which means we will be up in the air a little longer than anticipated
"I dont care, just get in the air NOW", Im so hard in my mind.

We take off at 01:15ish to thunderous applause. (2 hrs late)
right the flight was your normal boring 10 hr flight, seen the movies before, earphones did not work, food was only edible based on the fact that we had not eaten prior to it. Feeling in my right arm had started to come back after the abuse (I mean tender care) my wife inflictated on it during takeoff. I didnt know you could scrape bone with womens fingernails.

18:15, we are decending over Sandford, with the knowledge that every passenger onboard has had a deep and meanful conversation with TAZ, and she had searched every nook & cranny of this 767 we were travelling on.

When we have landed Jane is telling me how wonderful it is to have flown and is trying to get me to book up our next holiday so she can fly again. Fickle are these things called females

As we leave the plane we make our way to the imigration line. now one of the airport staff sees we have issues with Mum 's mobility and gets a wheel chair for her. and opens up the right hand imigration line for U.S only. And we Fastpass to the front of the line. Dodgy stares, Daggers even, Honest its not my fault, quickly kids and we will be the first out to baggage claim. Were through imigration quick smart, bags collected and out the door to dollar before anyone can purchase a firearm.

ME Ive got a car ordered, get me the keys good man and be quick about it. and theres a tip init for you.
Dollar Rep It does not work like that sir
Me Well, youe just lost your dollar Tip.
Dollar Rep Driver Licence, Aggreement please sir, would you like Sat Nav for a additional Ch...
Me The Keys...
Dollar Rep ... arge of $20 a day
Me No thank you, Im a x lorry driver and have perfect navigation skills.
Dollar Rep $10 a day

We exchange plesenters a bit longer before I prise the info about where the car is parked from him. we make our way over to the car, hang on I did not order a bus. These cars are biggggg Chisyler Town & Country

Everything fits in, we all take our seating positions. and from my bag of planning I pull out fluffy dice for the mirror, my Jane luvs Keith windscreen sunsticker, my racing gloves, oh and a map with directions.

So after throwing the map into the back of the Tardis I set off following all those signs for Disney. what do you mean they have not rolled out the red carpet for us to follow, best follow the map then.
1 1/4hrs later we arrive at All Stars Movies, and I hardly had to raise my voice to get directions.

Booked in and locate rooms. Mooach about until 22:30,

theres no way we will wake up early tomorrow going to sleep this late.

To be continued...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 06, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tessdog
Imagineer

tessdog's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great stuff, looking forward to the one.
x

Disney Wonder Cruise, Residance Inn Seaworld, Bay lake tower Sep / Oct 2010
DVC Saratoga Springs, Vero beach, Animal Kingdom Villas Sep/Oct 2008
Disney Pop Century Sep 2006
Wyndham Orlando Resort Oct 2005
DLP Sep1992
International Drive Oct 1991
tessdog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 06, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkabell_87
Imagineer

pinkabell_87's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
great! sounds like fun ! keep em coming!

Alexis lily Mowat. My world. My life. My miracle. My everything.
08.06.12 4lb 8oz
pinkabell_87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 06, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
princess-pink
Imagineer

princess-pink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great start and brillant pics. I'd have been a nervous wreck at the taxi driver - hence why i rarely trust anyone else when travelling. Keep typing - quickly.
Old 18 Dec 06, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Great start, lovely pics
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 06, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Glad to hear your journey went well aside from the delay.
Old 18 Dec 06, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggersbestmate
Apprentice Imagineer

It's a good job you knew where your taxi driver lives!
Old 18 Dec 06, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Great report, warts n all!
Old 18 Dec 06, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Really enjoyed that - more please

Love Suexx
Old 19 Dec 06, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Am really enjoying these reports cant wait for next installment