Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Sep 16, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

This was my experience of using Preferred.
Although my booking showed in the app I didn't use it for anything as I only had an economy car booked. I went straight to the garage where my name wasn't on the board at all. I went to the booth and said I wanted to pre-pay for fuel. I handed over my licence and credit card and offered the BA voucher but the lady didn't want it as she said that was all in the system. I was allocated a Ford Focus, so a one group upgrade. There was $100 hold placed on my card (£77 in real money!).
The car was pretty new with 10k on the clock, a large chunk of which must have been traveling to Orlando as it had Maine plates.
On return the car was scanned back in and the receipt showed a zero balance to be paid and $29 in additional charges, which I assume was the fuel and will come out of the hold.
A very easy process with absolutely no attempt to upsell anything. I'm fact she seemed surprised I wanted to pre-pay for the gas.

Edited at 07:34 PM.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 16, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
This was my experience of using Preferred.
Although my booking showed in the app I didn't use it for anything as I only had an economy car booked. I went straight to the garage where my name wasn't on the board at all. I went to the booth and said I wanted to pre-pay for fuel. I handed over my licence and credit card and offered the BA voucher but the lady didn't want it as she said that was all in the system. I was allocated a Ford Focus, so a one group upgrade. There was $100 hold placed on my card (£77 in task money!).
The car was pretty new with 10k on the clock, a large chunk of which must have been traveling to Orlando as it had Maine plates.
On return the car was scanned back in and the receipt showed a zero balance to be paid and $29 in additional charges, which I assume was the fuel and will come out of the hold.
A very easy process with absolutely no attempt to upsell anything. I'm fact she seemed surprised I wanted to pre-pay for the gas.
Thanks for the detailed report. All great information.

I've never done it, but I'm always curious about the buying of a full tank of gas from Avis, so that was useful too.

A US Ford Focus has around a 12.4 gallon tank, at $29 (assuming it was empty when you took it back) that's $2.34 per gallon. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. You can pick up gas for under $2 a gallon (not sure if that includes tax either?!?). Even if it does include tax, the overall saving is like £3. So well worth not having to mess around with filling up before you drop it off IMO. Of course if you took it back full?!?

Edited at 07:27 PM.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 16, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I was paying around $2.06 for gas on the 192 and I paid just under $2 en route to Tampa. It had just under a quarter of a tank left when I took it back so I probably overpaid by around $12, which I'm not bothered about.
I also used the transponder for tolls so they got just under $20 out of me for that. It did make life a lot easier though.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 16, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
Thanks for the detailed report. All great information.

I've never done it, but I'm always curious about the buying of a full tank of gas from Avis, so that was useful too.

A US Ford Focus has around a 12.4 gallon tank, at $29 (assuming it was empty when you took it back) that's $2.34 per gallon. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. You can pick up gas for under $2 a gallon (not sure if that includes tax either?!?). Even if it does include tax, the overall saving is like £3. So well worth not having to mess around with filling up before you drop it off IMO. Of course if you took it back full?!?
The tank size is the same as the UK one of 55 litres which works out at about 14.6 us gallons and at 2.04 a gallon is roughly $29.

Not seen anywhere that has gas under $2.02 around the 192 area but we haven't gone driving around to find it any way. Not that we are that bothered with a few cents difference..

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 16, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
I was paying around $2.06 for gas on the 192 and I paid just under $2 en route to Tampa. It had just under a quarter of a tank left when I took it back so I probably overpaid by around $12, which I'm not bothered about.
I also used the transponder for tolls so they got just under $20 out of me for that. It did make life a lot easier though.
I used the transponder for tolls last time in Orlando, but I won't need it this time. If you plan to head out east at least once, then it's probably worth it.

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
The tank size is the same as the UK one of 55 litres which works out at about 14.6 us gallons and at 2.04 a gallon is roughly $29.

Not seen anywhere that has gas under $2.02 around the 192 area but we haven't gone driving around to find it any way. Not that we are that bothered with a few cents difference..
US Gallon around 80% of an imperial gallon.

GasBuddy had some in Kissimmee under the $2 mark. Not sure if any of it was on the 192 though.

I always have good plans to get cheap gas, but when I'm there I tend to stop at a name I know to be cheaper, rather than try to find the best price.

GasBuddy app won't install on my Android phone. I'm thinking it's US only?!?

Edited at 08:34 PM.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
karengi
Apprentice Imagineer

karengi's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Can anybody confirm what happens if you want a 2nd driver?

I'm hoping I can somehow prearrange that as well, and bypass the desk.

I'm thinking I'll go so far as to make the second driver also have a preferred membership if that expedites the process.

If not... then stuff it, I'm going with one driver
I am travelling on Thursday and just today signed up for a preferred account. I am hoping I'm not too late! I've emailed them with my BA car hire reservation number asking them to link it to my preferred account but haven't heard back as yet. I also queried how to enable the 2nd driver, I've read through the thread and I don't think anyone has said they know how to do that! I'll let you know if they get back to me if you let me know how you get on too
Villa in Westridge 2016 * OKW Oct 2014 *OKW Oct 2012 * SSR Oct 2010 * Lake Buena Vista Resort Oct 2009 * Pop Centry/Cypress Point 2007 * Villa in Westridge 2006 * Port Orleans RS/Orange Lake/Fort Lauderdale 2002 * Sheraton Vistana/Westage Vacation Villas 2001 * Silver Lake/Orange lake 2000 * Westate Vacation Villas 1988
karengi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyore
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

How did you email them? I used the website first to link our latest booking but didn't hear back. Then I messaged again through the app and I got a reply within minutes!

As for the extra driver, is it a spouse? If so that's automatic anyway with Avis. If you want to add another extra driver I believe you just mention it at the preferred desk and they will take the details
Old 3 Oct 16, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

I used the transponder for tolls last time in Orlando, but I won't need it this time. If you plan to head out east at least once, then it's probably worth it.

US Gallon around 80% of an imperial gallon.

GasBuddy had some in Kissimmee under the $2 mark. Not sure if any of it was on the 192 though.

I always have good plans to get cheap gas, but when I'm there I tend to stop at a name I know to be cheaper, rather than try to find the best price.

GasBuddy app won't install on my Android phone. I'm thinking it's US only?!?
I did convert to US gallons.
Having driven around a bit more there are the odd gas stations advertising $1.99 but whether that's just for cash or include card payments I don't know as some of the cheaper places charge more for card payments.

Cost us $3.50 in tolls from MCO to the exit for Animal.Kingdom Park and will cost us the same on the way back so we always make sure the transponder is switched off.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
I did convert to US gallons.
Having driven around a bit more there are the odd gas stations advertising $1.99 but whether that's just for cash or include card payments I don't know as some of the cheaper places charge more for card payments.

Cost us $3.50 in tolls from MCO to the exit for Animal.Kingdom Park and will cost us the same on the way back so we always make sure the transponder is switched off.
I saw a $1.92 in the Disney vicinity recently on GasBuddy, with $2 being prevalent.

Prices seem way down from 2014?!?

Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
As for the extra driver, is it a spouse? If so that's automatic anyway with Avis. If you want to add another extra driver I believe you just mention it at the preferred desk and they will take the details
Anybody done it at the garage in MCO?
Old 3 Oct 16, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread