Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Nov 18, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Also if you have never had a job and go to the US a lot they may wonder how you get your money to go. It could be used to flag up people with 'dodgy' income streams that they don't want in the US.

Whether they can actually check is another matter.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
It only asks this so that the border agent can ask you it as like a sort of security question (similar to mothers maiden name)

You could put down lion tamer or brexit cabinet secretary (both jobs with shirt tenure) so long as you remember what you said if asked
No it is not a security question, this is a forum myth! In fact this encourages people to lie.
You answer honestly on the day, not just repeat your Esta answer. Don't over think the answer it is NOT a test! It would be a very poor test anyway.

It is in fact a standard immigration question for many countries including UK.

Edited at 09:51 AM.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mouli1 View Post
reluctantly I ask this , don't want to start a heated debate .

what do I put down for job , I don't work but I am not retired, just having a few years off . so not unemployed in the sense of cant find a job .
I would answer honestly as unemployed if asking current job, or put down previous employer details. If you are asked on arrival, you just honestly explain the situation.

Job question is about being a legitimate genuine visitor not security test.

If you lie as suggested by others and state on arrival a job you do not do you could then get asked when are you due back from holiday, or other questions, and the lie spirals or you admit your first answer wasn't true. Either way suspicion builds as to why you lied.

It is not a test, just answer honestly on the day of esta and day of arrival. Esta is valid for 2 years, things change.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

When I put my former job, my DH said “but if they ask you, it’s not correct “ but if they had asked I would have said, I’m not working at the moment but my last job was... (as put on ESTA). As Welshjim says, ESTA lasts 2 years so many people change jobs in that period of time so information on form may not be correct. It’s important to remember what you wrote on form though, and I certainly wouldn’t make up an answer, simply put current job or if not working at that time, previous job.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Both of my parents are retired so, technically, 'unemployed'. They both entered their occupation from when they were working when completing the ESTA. It's not designed to be a trick question.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Thanks for all the replies .I am not technically unemployed as we sold our business and don't need to work but don't draw a pension.we sometimes use the term economically in active and yes very lucky !

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SpectroMagical View Post
Both of my parents are retired so, technically, 'unemployed'. They both entered their occupation from when they were working when completing the ESTA. It's not designed to be a trick question.
Technically they are retired, as am I .
And yes I put my previous occupation , as that is exactly what is asked.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mouli1 View Post
Thanks for all the replies .I am not technically unemployed as we sold our business and don't need to work but don't draw a pension.we sometimes use the term economically in active and yes very lucky !
You don't have a job so you are unemployed. The fact that you don't need to work is neither here nor there. You are technically unemployed.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
You don't have a job so you are unemployed. The fact that you don't need to work is neither here nor there. You are technically unemployed.
So what about my case? I am retired and get paid by the government , so I get paid for being a pensioner, therefore I’m not unemployed, I can’t claim unemployment benefits because of my pension.
If I was technically unemployed, I would be able to claim?

Or have I got it wrong and I should claim unemployment plus my pension?

It’s confusing .

As for the ESTA. It doesn’t ask if you are unemployed, just what your current or previous job is/was.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
So what about my case? I am retired and get paid by the government , so I get paid for being a pensioner, therefore I’m not unemployed, I can’t claim unemployment benefits because of my pension.
If I was technically unemployed, I would be able to claim?

Or have I got it wrong and I should claim unemployment plus my pension?

It’s confusing .

As for the ESTA. It doesn’t ask if you are unemployed, just what your current or previous job is/was.
The op isn't retired or claiming a pension though, so completely different to you. Once you reach retirement age and stop working, then you're retired. Before that you're technically unemployed, even if you don't need to work, as in the case of the op. So, no, you shouldn't also try to claim unemployment as your retired and claiming a pension.

However, it's all actually irrelevant in regards to the ESTA as there is no question about being employed/unemployed. It asked for current or previous employer, which still applies even if your retired (unless you never worked I guess!).

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19

Edited at 09:43 AM.
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List