Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Nov 18, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
KevinCosmos
Getting Excited

2019 - Travelling on Thanksgiving

I've booked my stay through Ocean Florida for 2019, travelling out on the 28th November which I just realised happens to be Thanksgiving next year.

Has anybody had any experience of travelling on this day and know what to expect in terms of airport queues and population on that day.

It also means that my first full day in Orlando will be on Black Friday, I assume the parks won't be any more/less busy than usual on a Friday since I don't believe the parks do any deals?

I expect Lyft and Uber to have surge pricing, but my hotel is a 30 minute walk from Disney Springs, so I could walk there and then get a Disney Bus to one of the parks.
KevinCosmos is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Can't help with crowd's but buses don't go direct from Disney Springs to the parks. Don't think they go to the monorail resorts until later in the day either.
Old 16 Nov 18, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

we always are there for thanks giving we go week before so we are already there the parks are packed but i would imagine it could be fairly quite as most americans are celebrating and have already travelled but just a gues by the way black friday yeeeh as my ann says my wallet starts screaming lol
bennyboy0751 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

We travelled home from San Fran the day before and it was fine. In la the roads were grid locked. Most travel is the day before to get home for thanksgiving

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Planty
Getting Excited

Following with interest as we too fly out on 28th November 2019. I just looked at it that I would rather be travelling on that day than fighting my way around a park.
Planty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KevinCosmos View Post
I've booked my stay through Ocean Florida for 2019, travelling out on the 28th November which I just realised happens to be Thanksgiving next year.

Has anybody had any experience of travelling on this day and know what to expect in terms of airport queues and population on that day.

It also means that my first full day in Orlando will be on Black Friday, I assume the parks won't be any more/less busy than usual on a Friday since I don't believe the parks do any deals?

I expect Lyft and Uber to have surge pricing, but my hotel is a 30 minute walk from Disney Springs, so I could walk there and then get a Disney Bus to one of the parks.
I'll be flying on a US domestic flight on Thanksgiving day this year. From what I've read, it appears that the airports might be slightly better on Thanksgiving day than the days just before or after Thanskgiving. There may or may not be surge pricing on Uber that day, depending on demand.

Generally the US Disney parks will be packed the week of Thanksgiving, as people take advantage of the holiday to go to Disney. So Black Friday is likely to be much more crowded than most other Fridays during the year (besides Easter and Christmas). The crowds should get better the week after Thanksgiving as people go back to work/school.

Be aware that Orlando is a very pedestrian unfriendly place like most of the US, and your 30 minute walk from your hotel to Disney Springs may not have sidewalks, easy pedestrian crossings, etc. I think there is a path that links the Disney Springs area partner hotels to Disney Springs, but not sure how easy it is to get from other hotels to Disney Springs.

In terms of getting a Disney bus to one of the parks - there are no buses that run from Disney Springs directly to the parks. There are buses that run one-way from the parks to Disney Springs after 4pm. But there are workarounds if you really want to do this (walking to Saratoga Springs from Disney Springs and getting a bus from SSR; taking the bus to Beach Club and walk to Epcot or Hollywood studios from there; taking the bus to the Contemporary and walk to MK from there, etc).

Personally I feel an Uber would be far preferable to a 30 minute walk then trying to figure out a workaround way to get from Disney Springs to the parks, and then back again later. You spend a bit more, but you save a lot of time and stress...
Old 17 Nov 18, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We flew last year on thanksgiving day and the airport was no more busy than any other time , we had booked into Florida mall hotel for a couple of nights as shopping was high on our agenda! It was perfect as we had no stress about parking and would do it again ! Traffic was manic and queues to get into parking at the outlets on Thursday night and the whole weekend were horrendous, can’t say for the parks as we didn’t go until the middle of the following week and found them to be quiet , have s great time xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 18, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
ABZDisney
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

We have flown back to the UK from Orlando & Miami a few times now & have always found the airports to be quieter than normal.
November 2014 at Old Key West & The Yacht Club
November 2012 at The Swan
ABZDisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 18, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We tend to always fly to Orlando on Thanksgiving as we find the fares cheaper than the days following - we are flying out this Thursday so will post if anything different. We have never found the airport or the roads to be busier, so don't worry about that.

As for walking to Disney Springs, putting aside that buses don't go to the parks from there, it is really easy to walk there. Which hotel are you at? We walk there often, past the Crossroads, over the road to Hotel Plaza Boulevard, which is a nice tree-lined walk and over the bridge into Disney Springs.

I didn't realise that flights had been released for Thanksgiving next year so I had better get looking ;-)
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanksgiving is really like UK Christmas day. So the actual day the airports and main roads (except to major attractions) are empty - every one is either inebriated or spending time with family (more likely both).

Just as with Christmas Eve and Boxing Day the days either side of thanksgiving are really busy as people get "in place" for the big day
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List