Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 8 Mar 18, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

That's what happens on the internet Nimbus. Discussion don't stay strictly on topic. Josh is another experienced person in crowd predictions although he doesn't do calendars anymore, and for those interested they can read the full blogpost including the details for January/February. It's another look from someone who knows WDW at similar topic at the complexity of reasons behind the increased waits

Edited at 01:54 PM.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

actually Len specifically excluded Easter week (as spring break) and last two weeks of the year in his comparing of January/February compared to last year. it was my error, not his

Another interesting point was that Bob Igor keep saying increased cost, less people in the park, better experience as less waits but this will not be true if they have done cuts to make significant increase of waiting times. I wonder if they will adjust staffing in the summer or will we be hit with big increase to already long times? It will be our first time to go in such peak time, and if January and February this year have longer wait than any month last year (apart from spring break and 2 weeks in the end of the year) what will be the summer like!

Edited at 02:48 PM.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
That's what happens on the internet Nimbus. Discussion don't stay strictly on topic.
I know. However, you seemed to be quoting that bit from Josh as if it somehow added something to the discussion about longer waits in Jan/Feb. It didn't. So, I wasn't sure why you brought it up.

Again, just to make it clear, I am agreeing with you. I'm not arguing with Len's (and maybe Josh's) suggestion that Jan/Feb have had longer wait times because of reduced ride capacity.

actually Len specifically excluded easter week (as spring break) and last two weeks of the year in his comparing of January/February compared to last year.
Originally, in your first post, you mentioned Jan/Feb was busier than Easter. I see you've amended the post now to remove that.

Although your first post still says, "The wait times this January and February were higher than any week last year including summer months". That's still incorrect and not what Len said. It's higher than any week excluding Spring Break/Easter and Christmas time.

Another interesting point was that Bob Igor keep saying increased cost, less people in the park, better experience as less waits but this will not be true if they have done cuts to make significant increase of waiting times. I wonder if they will adjust staffing in the summer or will we be hit with big increase to already long times?
The point Len's making is that Disney temporarily reduce the ride capacity (reduce numbers of staff and reduce numbers of trains/tracks running) during the expected quieter times whilst keeping ride capacity at it's higher level during the expected busier times. Hence why the quiet times have longer queues than the busier times.

And, of course, Disney are doing this to save a bit of money and increase profits. At a guess, I think they think that if people are happy to put up with the usual longer waits during the busier times of the year then they'll probably put up with longer waits during the quieter times as well.

However, what's strange is that this move goes against Disney's plan of introducing seasonal ticket pricing. Part of the reason of doing that is to try and encourage people to visit during off-peak times but the higher wait times might put people off from doing that. Still, I'm sure Disney has spent far more time, money and effort considering these sorts of things than I have.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 03:18 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
And yet the hotel/dvc building goes on and on and on so this situation is not going to get any better. They will price rise normal families out of the running and it will end up being a resort for wealthy people only - not exactly what Walt had in mind, such a shame its losing all its good points and personal touches . Used to feel so magical and special but hasn't really felt like that for a couple of years now.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

If you have a business where you charge more when its busy - wouldnt you want it to look like it was busy all of the time?

That was Len in his interview BTW - not me although I think its a thought provoking theory. Maybe Disneys statement that seasonal pricing is to even the crowds out isn’t entirely accurate

Edited at 04:07 PM.
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I know. However, you seemed to be quoting that bit from Josh as if it somehow added something to the discussion about longer waits in Jan/Feb. It didn't. So, I wasn't sure why you brought it up.
I felt it's relevant. I am sorry if this caused you confusion! It's another point of view on the topic of increased waits. I guess people reading the discussion and having interest in it can read the full blogpost

Nimbus: Originally, in your first post, you mentioned Jan/Feb was busier than Easter. I see you've amended the post now to remove that.
Yes, I did after I noticed I am wrong. I also made a post saying I was wrong, it was my error. The reason I edited the wording of the original post is to correct it. I wasn't trying to make myself look like I didn't make an error.

Nimbus: Although your first post still says, "The wait times this January and February were higher than any week last year including summer months". That's still incorrect and not what Len said. It's higher than any week excluding Spring Break/Easter and Christmas time.

What I meant isn't what I wrote. oops, I can't seem to get my s together in this topic!

I am wrong, my English is not the best and my reporting skills leave a lot to be desired. Can we move on please?

Let's recap. I was wrong in what I said. I said including Easter and this is not at all what was in the interview. The interview suggested that January and February this year are seeing higher waits than most weeks last year, excluding Easter and Christmas. I also added a quote from recent article that is not linked to January and February only. I hope this is acceptable. The reason was as I stated - increasing waits trend which I felt it's relevant and interesting topic.

Edited at 05:05 PM.
Old 8 Mar 18, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

I hope people currently at WDW provide some more info
on how are they getting on and what's their actual experience. Last time when we were at WDW was October 2016 and we had such amazing luck! It sounds very different right now. We were Disneyland for few days 2017 and had great luck too, I hope 2018 trip lives up to the previous trips

Edited at 05:09 PM.
Old 8 Mar 18, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I felt it's relevant. I am sorry if this caused you confusion! It's another point of view on the topic of increased waits. I guess people reading the discussion and having interest in it can read the full blogpost
Apologies. It's just that I wasn't sure what your point was and why you thought a comparison of wait times between this year and 4 years ago relates to the idea that Disney has recently reduced the ride capacity during Jan/Feb (historically quieter months) to save some money which, in turn, increased wait times. I hadn't realised you were just throwing in some extra thoughts and views on wait times. Sorry.

Anyway, what the quote from Josh implies is that the wait times have always been increasing - some parks more than others - whether due to yearly increases in visitor numbers or reduction of rides or something. Although that still doesn't address why the last two months are noticeably worse (whereas Len's explanation does).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by adamtoonarmy View Post
If you have a business where you charge more when its busy - wouldnt you want it to look like it was busy all of the time?
Yeah, but that means there are no quiet times and therefore no days will be "value" days and therefore why bother spending effort on introducing seasonal pricing. Every day will be a "peak" day. They may as well just keep one price as they have at the moment and increase that.

Seasonal pricing is about getting more people to come in the off-peak times to try and even out the crowd levels.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 8 Mar 18, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Apologies. It's just that I wasn't sure what your point was and why you thought a comparison of wait times between this year and 4 years ago relates to the idea that Disney has recently reduced the ride capacity during Jan/Feb (historically quieter months) to save some money which, in turn, increased wait times. I hadn't realised you were just throwing in some extra thoughts and views on wait times. Sorry.

Anyway, what the quote from Josh implies is that the wait times have always been increasing - some parks more than others - whether due to yearly increases in visitor numbers or reduction of rides or something. Although that still doesn't address why the last two months are noticeably worse (whereas Len's explanation does).

Thank you for clarifying what Josh implies.

Edited at 06:03 PM.