Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 8 May 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Miasmum
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Is Disney worth the money?

I'll probably get lynched for this question! I know it's very subjective but just wondering if people think it is worth the money they charge?
We are goin next year and given that we have 4 kids, the cost of the tickets would be pretty high!
Do people think it's worth it? Will we get on rides without huge queues? I know there will be queues but does the fast pass system work well?
I know only we can decide whether to pay the money for them but just curious about people's thoughts?
Miasmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
nannamoon72
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Miasmum View Post
I'll probably get lynched for this question! I know it's very subjective but just wondering if people think it is worth the money they charge?
We are goin next year and given that we have 4 kids, the cost of the tickets would be pretty high!
Do people think it's worth it? Will we get on rides without huge queues? I know there will be queues but does the fast pass system work well?
I know only we can decide whether to pay the money for them but just curious about people's thoughts?
Every penny!

We are a family of 5 and winced at the price of tickets (we went for the first time this year). We went at Easter and everyone said it would be too busy, we wouldnt get on much etc etc etc.

We loved it! Got on everything we wanted (even Flight of Passage), kids adored it. They loved the water Parks as well as the traditional theme parks. As adults we loved the photopass (this is the best thing ever we have so many lovely pictures of the 5 of us) and the food (we had previously visited Paris were the food was awful).

It was always me that wanted to go. Back home two days and husband was asking me to get quotes for next Easter and we were rebooked to go back within the week
nannamoon72 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
This is a question that only you can answer. Me and my partner have been quite a few times and all ways say yes it is 100% worth every penny . The fast pass system works well 90% of the time and if you plan it well then you will do fine longest wait we had was 35 minutes for buzz light year . We where lucky on toy story as they had just started the ride and we where in the right place at the right time we where allowed though the fast pass que dont know why . This was the last time we went a few years back .
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I'll probably get lynched for this question!
There are already many thousands of people who think it's too expensive. And that number grows every year as the price increases. There have been DIBBers saying that they are skipping Disney because the price is too much. So, the question is a reasonable one to ask.

Personally, I think it's worth the money. The tickets are very expensive but the Disney parks are the best theme parks in the world and we get a great deal of enjoyment visiting them. If I'm willing to pay 600+ per person on 9 hour flights just to get over to Florida, then spending 400 per person to enjoy some great theme parks for 2 weeks seems reasonable to me.

Will we get on rides without huge queues?
It depends on whether you decide to join those long queues or not.

There are plenty of rides without huge queues which you can do. And if we see a ride with a long queue (greater than 1 hour) and we don't have a fastpass for it then we skip it. There are always other things we can do. For me, no ride is worth waiting for more than an hour.

I know there will be queues but does the fast pass system work well?
It works reasonably well most of the time. You probably won't be able to get fastpasses for everything that you want, but will get fastpasses for some rides. I go into these holidays not expecting to do everything - especially not every new ride. You'll probably get to do 80% of what you wanted. And for the rest... well, there's always next time.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Doowop
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Yes, just yes.

The time spent running around with my daughter being a child myself is absolutely priceless for me. Dd has autism and it truly makes her happy and she doesnt have the issues there that we can have at other places, it really is her home
Doowop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mole83
Serious Dibber

me personally, no its not! but i'm a boring 30 something bloke.

I get the whole magic kingdom for the kids, but the other parks i don't see the point in personally. But its each to their own...
Mole83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Is it worth the money - no,
Will you queue for hours - yes,
Will it be hot and busy - yes,
Will you pay a silly amount of money for a burger or a water - yes.

Will you be on the ferry with 1000s of other people, hot and tired with crying children and have to walk 1 mile back to your car thinking what am I doing - yes !

Do I still pay and visit regularly ... yes 😂😂

Edited at 11:43 AM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
a11mark
Imagineer

a11mark's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
yes its expensive, it can be done a little cheaper by packing lunches and water, but IMHO I think it has vaule, there's not as many duplicate rides, experiences or shows as there would be over at universal.

If I was given the choice of one of them, I'd much rather pay for a Disney Park Hopper pass than a universal one. transformers and spider-man same ride, lots of 3d rides and most of the IP's are out of date (men in black, ET, mummy etc.)
Old 8 May 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
4andcounting
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Were a family of 6, theme park tickets alone for our next trip were over 4K 😖
BUT in my opinion worth every penny.
This will be my 13th trip (5th since having kids) and its still my favourite place on the planet.
The kids love it there and are so excited to be going back.
At the end of the day it comes down to personal circumstances and preference,
4andcounting is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

This is truly a tricky question! You will no doubt get a diverse range of responses. Should be an interesting thread.

At the heart of the matter is personal preference towards value. Value is situational, and each individual person (and family) decides independently what return from the parks, accommodations, attractions, dining, experiences, etc. exceeds whatever it cost them to visit (in time, money and energy).

For me and my family, sadly the answer is now no. Disney is no longer worth it for us. Ask me 5-6 years ago...I would have been an evangelist and passionately convincing you that WDW is the best option for family vacations for a variety of exciting reasons. Nowadays though, I warn people to avoid WDW - or do my best to help prepare hopeless first timers that ask for advice (yes...I'm the office 'Disney guy').

Over the last decade, my family has been fortunate to visit many times - and I think because of our frequent visits spread over a long period of time the downward trend in service and overall experience at WDW is painfully obvious.

Everyone's mileage will vary - and that's the beauty of personal choice in where to spend discretionary holiday cash. For me though, my most recent trip to WDW was the last for many years to come. I left at peace with the memories, but very also sad seeing what is happening with overcrowding, crazy FP+ driven waits on lessor attractions, dumbed-down menus, up-charges for virtually everything, reduced EMHs, run down rides and the general six-months-ahead-of-time nonsense that must be endured to secure free dining, premium FP+s, etc. The 'work' (and it really has become work) to book and optimize a Disney vacation just is not worth it any longer. For me, it isn't even purely a cost factor. Sure it is expensive - but if the vacation was mostly enjoyable, I could easily justify the spend. The reality these days is that the parks themselves are not nearly as enjoyable as they once were. Blame the crowds, lack of new innovation, FP+ system, continued conversion of what used to be 'free' over to hard ticket (the list goes on)...it isn't just one particular thing; it is the blending of many many things that have negatively impacted the actual park experience (in my view).

There are plenty of other options out there - and once we broke from the Disney bubble we realized how much we enjoy traveling elsewhere, taking cruises all over, and the advantages of Universal for our Florida fix should we need one.

Rant over...just my opinion...as promised 'your mileage may vary'. If you made it this far, thanks for listening to my opinions!
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List