Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 8 May 18, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sarahsmiler View Post
First time poster, long time reader. I agree with the pp who said that a few years ago, yes but now, no. I went myself as a child/teenager three times in the late 80s and early 90s. I took my young boys in 2007 and in Oct 2017 we went again with 7 yo daughter in tow.

Let's just say that I was flabbergasted at the overcrowding. Magic Kingdom was unbelievably busy, and that's not hyperbole. It was unpleasant and not fun with so many people. The park is run down and I think it now only draws such crowds due to the cult like following of the Disney brand. My 7yo did an hour and wanted to go back to the pool.

Hollywood studios was like I remember it from 20 years ago, total waste of money. I paid thousands for my family of five... I was so angry that as soon as I got back to the hotel I googled thinking it can't possibly be just me. I came across a theory that the increasing prices are designed to out price people thus reducing the crowds. I don't know if that's true. It's a totally different experience that it was 30 years ago...and even 10 years ago it wasn't that busy.

Florida is a wonderful destination for a family holiday, but I won't ever visit Disney again.
Your post is spot on. We have been going since the early 90's and know a different Disney.

We came back from a trip this weekend, it was our first stay in Disney for six years. After the last visit, we said we won't be coming back until something radical changes. That change for us was Pandora, what a disappointment that the whole area was, a colossal letdown.

The third day in we decided to go to Epcot. We headed toward the Land. My daughter commented on how run down everything looked on the walk up, I had already come to this conclusion. As we walked into The Land Pavillion, I couldn't believe what we saw when we got there; the first thing I noticed was the carpet - it was rank, you could see the dirt on it and it was well worn (it would be, it was there six years ago). Everything inside The Land well worn and tired.

I could go on but won't out of respect for the people who have yet to go.

Universal, however, what an operation they are growing there. Three new Hotels in three years. They're doing a stellar job in the Parks and have just bought up 150 acres of Land and have settled a legal dispute for the use of Land already purchased. Good things are coming.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
It’s as cheap or expensive as you want to make it . We were going to Majorca next year but Florida was £1500 cheaper ( without any park tickets ) . Saying that though I found an invoice yesterday for 2015 that showed universal/Disney combo tickets were £1900 for 5 of us , next year they are coming up just over £3k. That’s some increase !
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Pantaloons
slightly serious Dibber

You can understand why people are feeling the pinch

2017 - ATD Orlando Freedom Ticket - 645 GBP/pp
2019 - ATD Orlando Freedom Ticket - 745 GBP/pp

I dont forsee a reality where my partner and I would pick anything other than All Star Resorts if we are going back. Cheap suits us, especially somewhere we only sleep (and hide from a hurricane)

Saying that - I did see a 2 person room in Art of Animation for 1500GBP for 14 nights in Sept 2019, and at 100GBP more than All Stars, I would have been tempted.

Experience is likely the biggest saver. Would I get the Orlando Freedom Ticket again - no. I wouldnt be bothered missing SeaWorld / Aquatica and Busch (Best coaster park) again. Id rather save my money and Uber fares and stay around Disney / Universal.

I honestly cant imagine how families consistently go so often with the price increases - but its easy to understand when its often a holiday like no other.
Pantaloons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
RealLifeMermaid
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We’ve been 2 dozen times now so obviously we are big fans but sometimes we don’t visit WDW at all and even if we do, it’s for two days max. I hope to have children of my own in the next 5 years and in all honesty, I think I prefer Disneyland (California) as an option for small children. I found it to be more affordable ticket wise and the park experience was more magical, calmer and less crowded. I’m not a fan of the big rides or rollercoasters so the lack of them in comparison to WDW doesn’t bother me. I find parkhopping time consuming whereas DL and DCA are in walking distance of each other. The shows were better (YouTube Frozen at The Hyperion). Of course Anaheim isn’t as nice as Orlando but you don’t have to stay there. LA is close by and there are plenty of nice places for day trips. They have brilliant shopping, outlets and other theme parks like Universal. LA traffic is a nightmare though!

So that’s my long winded way of saying don’t count out California as an option!
RealLifeMermaid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Doowop View Post
Yes, just yes.

The time spent running around with my daughter being a child myself is absolutely priceless for me. Dd has autism and it truly makes her happy and she doesn’t have the issues there that we can have at other places, it really is her ‘home’

Have you read ‘3500: An Autistic Boy's Ten-Year Romance with Snow White’ - its a fab read and really heart-warming x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Whilst vastly increased in price the park tickets for 14 and 21 days still represent excellent value per day for four theme parks, two water parks and Disney Springs. Flight costs are nothing to do with the Disney element and hotels in Orlando can pretty much cost what you want them to. The food however is monstrously overpriced. We still go every year, stay in a moderate or deluxe hotel and eat every meal on site because we love it! That said. Kids are 16 and 19 now and I’ve said we won’t go back for four years. Four cars to run and Uni fees for one then two will have to take priority for a while now.
Old 8 May 18, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
xcited
Excited about Disney

It's a tricky one! With the increase in costs of park tickets, I now think it's only worth it if you plan a Disney exclusive holiday, to get maximum value for money. This is what we are doing next time we visit. Previous visits we did universal too, last time we only did discovery cove and SeaWorld parks.
There is definitely something magical and addictive about Disney which will keep drawing in the crowds. However compared to a Alton towers day ticket, a Disney 14 day ticket is very reasonably priced, for the variety of parks and experience.
Old 8 May 18, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
For us yes but only every 3 years, we go every year but aside from a single night at the Christmas party we have avoided Disney.

After a 3 year break we have purchased 14 day tickets for this year, we are skipping universal that we have done for the last 3 visits.

The only thing we do every time is discovery cove, sea world and bush gardens, the ultimate discovery cove ticket is amazing value for money.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

I don’t think Disney is expensive. But I do think it is worth every penny
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

I did a quick calculation based on a spreadsheet I knocked up at the time (sep/oct '17), and if we'd flown economy (which we didn't) it would have cost around £175 each per day. That's a 10 person villa (for only four of us), with a 7 seater SUV, every park ticket incl. Discovery Cove, Busch, SW... etc, and eating out three times per day.

That seems so ludicrously inexpensive that I can't believe the calculations are right?!?
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List