Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 19 Aug 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for your feedback. There is no way on gods earth I am creating any spreadsheet for my holiday, I spend 226 days a year in front of them!

In so many visits I have done everything i have ever wanted to do. The important rides, I will get FP+ or use the DAS pass if my son is riding.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

I think perhaps one of the big things to take away is to have multiple spare/duplicate days so you aren't restricted to one day per park to do everything, that way you can proceed at your own pace and revisit places where stuff was closed or you didn't have time for it at your leisure. The only downside of this approach is you have to be prepared to spend a lot of your time in queues for stuff. I kept it below 3 hours a day by doing some careful planning. If you're not careful, it can be far more.
Old 19 Aug 18, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ratmanscoop View Post
I think perhaps one of the big things to take away is to have multiple spare/duplicate days so you aren't restricted to one day per park to do everything, that way you can proceed at your own pace and revisit places where stuff was closed or you didn't have time for it at your leisure. The only downside of this approach is you have to be prepared to spend a lot of your time in queues for stuff. I kept it below 3 hours a day by doing some careful planning. If you're not careful, it can be far more.
The secret is September. Really quiet. Avoid EMH parks and be sensible.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kev Harrison View Post
That's when I'm going but I don't have children. People who are tied to school holidays aren't able to go then unless it's late August going into the first few days of September.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
That's when I'm going but I don't have children. People who are tied to school holidays aren't able to go then unless it's late August going into the first few days of September.
I’m quite excited, that when my DD starts school next year our LEA is switching to 2 weeks for October half term, in exchange for only 5 weeks summer holiday. You cannot believe how happy I was to find this out.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
kazzykay
slightly serious Dibber

i am with you on this, this will be the first year I am going to do some fastpasses, but what a headache, hate the thought of it but think with it now being busier we are going to need it on the most popular rides
kazzykay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Do what works for you. For us, we have only been able to afford to go twice, in 2010 and 2014, and it will be quite q few years before we can go again. So I want to stuff those two weeks full of every ride, show, meal, etc - as Aerosmith said, I don’t wanna miss a thing! And I don’t want to spend half my time in queues.

For us in Nov 2014 FP+ worked brilliantly. We got on all the headliners with no queue, only had 15 min waits maximum for other things, and were still able to change our plans many, many times on the day.

Likewise ADRs. Meals are a huge part of our holiday. We haven’t even got a trip planned and I could easily tell you my 14 ‘must eat’ restaurants and probably what I want to order!

If you want to be relaxed about and don’t mind if you don’t get to do everything, that’s fine. There is no right or wrong, just what works for you.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
The idea that my holiday and reservations need planning so tightly after 4 years of hard work and work scheduling to save up makes feel feel so unhappy.
You don't have to plan things so tightly. In fact, you don't have to plan things at all if you don't want to.

Remember that the DIBB is a place where Disney theme park fans come to discuss things in depth and, as such, you tend to find more planners on here than you would normally. Many people on here like to plan, and hence there are a lot of planning discussions. It doesn't mean you have to tightly plan your whole holiday.

Just do what you're suggesting - book fastpasses for the big rides and go with the flow for the others. Fastpasses for most rides are bookable on the day, so you can simply book the secondary rides whilst you're there. Same goes for restaurants.

If only a small amount of planning suits you better, then go for it.

BTW, last time we went, a friend of ours who worked for Thomas Cook also decided to go. It was very much a last minute thing as she could get standby seats (or whatever they are called) on the plane for a reduced price. She planned *nothing* other than what clothes to take - she booked her hotel at the airport whilst waiting for the flights over to Orlando, she bought her tickets whilst out there, she did everything on the fly. She had a great time.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kellsbells
Imagineer

I don't know when your last visit was but I think you might be surprised at how busy September is these days. We have been going that time of year for a long time and the last 5 years or so the crowds are much heavier than they used to be. I would say 2013 is the last time I saw it really quiet in September.

Not saying that should change anything for you but just thought I would mention

kellsbells is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by kellsbells View Post
I don't know when your last visit was but I think you might be surprised at how busy September is these days. We have been going that time of year for a long time and the last 5 years or so the crowds are much heavier than they used to be. I would say 2013 is the last time I saw it really quiet in September.

Not saying that should change anything for you but just thought I would mention
About 4 years ago. Late September into October. The crowds are low compared to the really busy times, we have been at Xmas - now that's busy.

I use experience.
Don't go to parks on EMH days.
Use touring plans to find the quietest days.
Don't do parks at the weekend.
Get in early and leave before it gets too busy.
Leave and rest for the afternoon.
Have fluid plans.
In how many visits, I have never not got a dining reservation or on a ride I want, so don't stress it.
Only have FP for the rides that warrant it. Looking on here, FP are available for everything still.
Be prepared to split up your group, not everyone wants the same thing, why double up time, when you can go separate ways and do what you want. My wife may go and look at the gardens, whilst I take the kids.

Stay at Universal, free express passes for everything and early entry.

Edited at 05:23 PM.