Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 24 Aug 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by neatfrk View Post
I used to love WDW planning and relish in updating all of my detailed color-coded spreadsheets. Now however, the thought of being on hold literally hours to try and score free dining, waking up at 5am to line up my FP+ selections, and logging on precisely at 180 days to perhaps maybe score decent ADRs... well, I could go on but it is all just too much for me to consider for a 'vacation'.
The fastpass window opens up at 12pm, not 5am. So don't wake up at 5am because you might be disappointed.

And you don't have to do all those things you mention in order to visit, and enjoy, Disney. You can if you want to but it isn't necessary. I have never done any of those things you mention. Similarly, you can be online as soon as Universal release their hotel rooms or book a table at a Universal restaurant as soon as their calendar becomes available, but you don't have to.

You can plan as much or as little as you want. But that's another thread.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I love both. Whether equally or not, I enjoy both Disney and Universal.

I love the Spider-man and Simpsons rides. And I also love Big Thunder Mountain and Test Track. I like the different atmospheres at both. I appreciate the theming at both. The Harry Potter parts of Universal are incredibly well themed. So are parts of Animal Kingdom. I appreciate both for the different experiences they bring whilst also realising that neither is perfect. I like the fact that they are different and that they complement one another. For us, both resorts offer something for everyone; my daughter enjoyed Universal when she was 3 years old and I enjoyed Disney when I was 46. We have paid large sums of money to go to both of them since we first visited Orlando and we'll probably continue to pay large sums of money to go to both in the future. Which, I guess, says everything.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

The fastpass window opens up at 12pm, not 5am. So don't wake up at 5am because you might be disappointed
I live in the US...
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Surely there are less thrill rides at Universal compared to Disney?

We had to go to SeaWorld to get a proper rollercoaster fix after staying at Universal RPR last year. From memory, Universal has Hulk, RIP Rocket and The Mummy
Doesn't it all depend on what you like?. I don't do coasters as it sets my vertigo off. I'm not interested in Star Wars, have never and probably never will see Avatar so they don't make me want to go to Disney. We loved DisneyWorld when our children were young before FP and Disney Dining but now it all seems too regimented for me. But that's the thing it's what I want and what interests me. When/if I am ever lucky enough to have grandchildren I will be taking them to Disney without a doubt. Until then I will stick to Universal and Portofino Bay and the water taxis. I think all of the parks in Florida are an amazing days entertainment for the price they charge and I feel very lucky to be able to afford to go there.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by neatfrk View Post
I live in the US...
Ah, ok. Sorry. Yeah, if you're on Mountain Daylight Time (or whatever the timezone is called in the central part of the US) then you'll have to get up at 5am. It's even earlier on the west coast - 3am?

But 12pm for us Brits (or, at least, those of us who live in the UK).

Of course, you don't have to get up at 5am to book your fastpasses but that's up to you.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 24 Aug 18, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

If we were to go back it would be to do on site at Universal.

The hotels, pools, ease to get to parks , FOLP and attractions at Universal are a good balance and pace to us.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Well although I was pleasantly surprised by Universal, if it wasn’t for the Harry Potter area, I wouldn’t really rate it that highly. Dragon Alley I’d impressive but I thought Hogsmead was a little underwhelming. The rest of the park is ok, but it’s not as high ranking as Disney for me.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DiscoD6381
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Universal has some brilliant bits but some of it lags behind, trouble some bits are so good it shows up the other bits. I agree with some of the nostalgia comments around Disney but that's kind of the point of Disney, it's how it's set up. Love both sets of parks and have done holidays that have done one or the other or both. Just depends on what you enjoy and what your looking for.
DiscoD6381 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
As a couple Universal was our favourite. Now we have a baby, it's Disney. They are both amazing places and each has their strengths.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

Universal is fun but Disney is heart warming and sentimental and imo is where it wins. Everyone has a memory attached to something Disney whether it’s how a film made them feel or a memory from a park or a song. It’s childhood legend, universal will never have the nostalgia impact
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List