Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 14 Nov 18, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Runforthehills
Trying for More Ears

Discount for Universal Passholders visiting Disney

We have just returned from a couple of weeks in Orlando with family and, as we have already booked for September next year, we all upgraded to annual passes for both Universal and Seaworld.

The day before we came back our grandson had popped into the restrooms just outside IOA while we waited outside and told us he had heard a couple of American gents discussing the discounts on Disney tickets that Universal passholders can get.

I have tried to google this discount but had no luck at all so I wondered if anyone else had heard this.

It does make some sort of sense as passholders may be unlikely to visit "the opposition" without some additional discount but, then again, what an 11 year old thinks he hears in a public restroom may not be the best source of information!

Edited at 12:37 AM.
Runforthehills is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Never heard of this and would doubt they would as Universal and Disney are such direct competition but who knows. Would be very interested to know though for future reference.
Old 15 Nov 18, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Gaz Lear
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Mobile

Nah not true. Why would Universal pay money for people to spend their dollars at their biggest competitors
Old 15 Nov 18, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
limmy
Imagineer

limmy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It might not be Universal making up the difference, they may do something at their discretion. I wore the wrong trampoline socks to another chain of trampoline park and they swapped them over for free for me. They do the same the other way around too.
They may have been talking about Floridian residents discount? But then they wouldn't have needed to mention US. So who knows.
DCL 2019
limmy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
SuperCSG
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Gaz Lear View Post
Nah not true. Why would Universal pay money for people to spend their dollars at their biggest competitors
Because it may attract Disney guests that would otherwise not visit. Not saying it will happen but there is a commercial decision to be made by both parties.
SuperCSG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I've never heard of any discounts on Disney tickets for Universal Annual Pass holders.

Originally Posted by SuperCSG View Post
Because it may attract Disney guests that would otherwise not visit. Not saying it will happen but there is a commercial decision to be made by both parties.
But, based on what the OP said, you have to already be a Universal Annual Pass holder in order to later get benefits on Disney tickets. If anything, that would encourage Universal guests - who have already paid to visit Universal - to visit, and give money to, Universal's direct competitor. That's not going to happen. The only deal that would seem feasible is some sort of reciprocal deal - i.e. those with Disney tickets could get discounts on Universal tickets and vice versa.

Now, at one point, Universal and Seaworld used to work together to provide deals on one another's tickets. They used to have a joint ticket - the Orlando FlexTicket - although they stopped that a year or two ago. But Universal and Disney have never worked together as far as I can remember. Disney seems to be doing all they can to stop people leaving the bubble.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 01:31 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
SuperCSG
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Clearly, it only works if there is a reciprocal arrangement
SuperCSG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Have never heard of this discount either. Could it possibly have been discount on Universal tickets (like for HHN) that passholders could get?

People do get very mixed up between Disney and Universal though. I once had a friend insist that he had visited Disneyland (LA) on a very crowded day and paid for the Fastpasses and that was the best decision he made that trip. It was only after I said I was fairly sure Disneyland had never offered paid Fastpasses that he went, "oh, maybe it was Universal then"...
Old 15 Nov 18, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

I'm not sure why people think there needs to be a reciprocal agreement.
Disney may decide to target Universal Passholders and therefore offer deals whilst Universal choose not to...Disney can offer any incentives it wants to whoever it wants to as part of their marketing strategy and it has nothing to do with Universal.

Having said that I'd be surprised if it were true but my point is it doesn't have to be reciprocal
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gaz Lear View Post
That's not what the OP said...it's Disney discounting their tickets

Edited at 06:11 PM.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List