Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

View Poll Results: Who is your preferred car rental company and why?
alamo 638 75.95%
hertz 41 4.88%
budget 17 2.02%
dollar 24 2.86%
avis 80 9.52%
sixt 13 1.55%
other 36 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 840. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Aug 18, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Have always used Alamo, no issues with the skip the counter.

This year we're using Avis (with preferred) so hopefully a similar experience, only 3 of us going so we've got a smaller car booked but hoping can find something in the swap line
Old 9 Aug 18, 06:22 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I used Alamo Disney Car Care Centre this year- best car hire experience I've ever had. When dropping off I was on a personal bus being taken back to resort in 5 minutes.
Alamo used to be terrible. Then they were taken over by Enterprise. Enterprise is a high quality company, that is why Alamo is now transformed.
Enterprise themselves are just as good, so don't be afraid to use them also. They were about the cheapest option I could get in NYC last year, and I bought a separate annual car hire excess policy for about £100 last year. This worked out about £100 cheaper at the time than using Dollar via a UK broker, and was much better.
I also used Enterprise in Portugal last year, best price again, but this year they were more expensive so I went elsewhere.
Costco Car Hire has now started in UK which offers Enterprise (albeit I think some of it will be Alamo) with the insurance included so check them out also if a member.
Old 9 Aug 18, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

I've already voted for Alamo but would do it again if I could.

I had a 1 day hire in this last trip as I had use of my parent's car so only really needed a car for the last day and getting back to the airport. I picked up at Holiday Inn on the 192. They didn't have a great selection and didn't have any standard cars (I looked at availability before I went in so knew I was going to be in an Altima an SUV or an Impala which would all have been upgrades. The guy at the desk gave me the V6 Impala which was really good and is classed as a Premium Car so a 2 level upgrade.

As it was only a 1 day rental I didn't prepay for fuel so had to refuel before dropping off. I hadn't used much in that day so was trying to guess how much to put in. We stopped at the Speedway at Hunters Creek just of the 417 to refuel and guessed at $5. I really hate that you have to prepay and then go back in for change if you paid too much. $5 took us to the line but probably wasn't enough. Got back to MCO and after missing the car rental return turnoff (I swear I do this every year) the needle was below full.

The Alamo return agent commented that I was below full but he wouldn't be charging me as it was close enough and handed me a receipt with nothing extra to pay. I swear if it had been Budget they would've cut me open and topped up the tank with by blood.

It's the little things that go a long way with me and Alamo just seem to do a lot of things right by their customers. It's why I would pay a little more to hire with Alamo over any of the other suppliers.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Have used the majority of them... normally go for the cheapest option ... only company would probably not use again would be Budget... was not happy with their car or the service... Dollar have been excellent for me ... always got a great car and always excellent service (I'm a Dollar Express member but maybe i'm just lucky ! )... have been with Alamo 3 out of the last 4 trips... not because of their skip the counter (which is great ) but because I got a great deal through Auto Europe... with them this year in our Cal-USA trip...

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 18, 01:34 AM  
Link to this Post
disney4me
Proud to wear my Ears

VIP Car Hire

Has anyone used this company? I would appreciate your views. We have a car booked with them out of the Disney Car Care centre (why do I keep calling the Disney Day Care centre)?
disney4me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 18, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Lorbs
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Alamo. Better vhoice of cars
Lorbs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 18, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Incarniac
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Alamo, Avis, Hertz - sort of in that order, but it does depend on price (and as a result last few hires have been through Avis via BA).
Incarniac is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
xcited
Excited about Disney

Alamo for us. New vehicles, skip the counter, no messing or stressing with cashless tolls, and a decent price.
However last 2 trips we have been allocated a car rather than having a choice which is part of the fun.
Old 12 Sep 18, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Incarniac
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by xcited View Post
Alamo for us. New vehicles, skip the counter, no messing or stressing with cashless tolls, and a decent price.
However last 2 trips we have been allocated a car rather than having a choice which is part of the fun.
Hmm, interesting - do you know why? And how did it work, did you have to go the counter?
Incarniac is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
disneytrio
Imagineer

disneytrio's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
As things stand with their newer fleet, the option to skip the counter and most importantly the ability to pick your own car - Alamo
Exactly the reason why we always go with alamo
disneytrio is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List