Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Sep 16, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post

So why not make an official complaint to Avis? It may get you a free upgrade or refund or something. It's the agent who is at fault and you should bring this to Avis' attention.

avis/car-rental/conte...navId=T5M12S00

I would recommend you sign up to Avis Preferred. It cuts out all that nonsense at the counters. You go to the garage, pick up the car you ordered and drive to the exit. They look at your licence, scan a barcode and away you go. No queues, no up sales, no items you didn't order.

Edited at 06:08 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
So why not make an official complaint to Avis? It may get you a free upgrade or refund or something. It's the agent who is at fault and you should bring this to Avis' attention.

avis/car-rental/conte...navId=T5M12S00

I would recommend you sign up to Avis Preferred. It cuts out all that nonsense at the counters. You go to the garage, pick up the car you ordered and drive to the exit. They look at your licence, scan a barcode and away you go. No queues, no up sales, no items you didn't order.
Can you do this at all/ most Avis rental sites Geoff? Wondering re LAX. We are Avis Preferred and I think we were directed to a desk at Newark last year.
Old 26 Sep 16, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
As Dibbers we spot these posts and think ''ah yes the desk clerks at it again'' Are we surprised - No!

However I wonder how many 1000's of people get caught out each and every year. Disgraceful practice but it will continue until they stop commission selling which they won't.
I can't remember if it was a Dibb, or another forum, member who posted her husbands experiences of working at MCO for one of the big suppliers... they train them this way MrT, it's all about making additional money for the company and a bit commission for the agent. Apparently they are expected to 'earn' a certain percentage of commission each month.

If that desk agent had spoken to me in that manner I'd have pulled him over the desk by his tonsils and ask him what part of NO was it that confused him, the N or the O... I will not tolerate this BS upgrade milarky under any circumstances and start by making that perfect clear to them, they usually get the message, prepare the $0 to pay contract, I sign and I'm offski.

Admittedly this is dated 2008, and I have no idea if it's true, but either way when read many may think, 'I resemble that'... 6 Confessions of an Alamo car rental agent... consumerist/2008/01/15/6...-rental-agent/
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
$80 for a tank of petrol is too high for pre-purchase

Are you sure he didn't add PPI insurance also. A few years back before I started using AVIS preferred I got this at Sanford. The price for the tank was too much for the size of car and so i declined quoting the size of the tank. Oh, she just noticed it also included PPI. When she took that off I went for it (only because I forgot to fill up the year before) and it was now reasonable. $80 seems a little high.
I'd check your agreement to make sure another optional extra was not added as well as petrol.
fredflintstone is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Can you do this at all/ most Avis rental sites Geoff? Wondering re LAX. We are Avis Preferred and I think we were directed to a desk at Newark last year.
At some airports you do have to go to a desk but it should be for "Avis Preferred" customers not general bookers. We had to do this at Seattle and they just handed us a slip with the details of the car location in the garage. The exit procedure was as I describe above.
Old 26 Sep 16, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

At some airports you do have to go to a desk but it should be for "Avis Preferred" customers not general bookers. We had to do this at Seattle and they just handed us a slip with the details of the car location in the garage. The exit procedure was as I describe above.
Many thanks Geoff
Old 29 Sep 16, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Libbyimo View Post
We were BA this year with avis , the guy behind the desk couldnt have been nicer ,didnt have the car we booked ,upgraded us to a massive suv thingy at no extra cost , we must have been lucky.
Ha ha. Yes we were with BA.

Our avis guy thought he was salesman of the year!
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Goodisoner
Apprentice Imagineer

Hey Geoff have you ever used AVIS at Fisherman's Wharf? If so what was the procedure?

Joint profile for Mr and Mrs Goodisoner.
Staybridge Suites I-Drive 2011, Homewood Suites I-Drive 2013,
Old Key West August 2015,
West Coast, Vegas & Orlando 2017.
Goodisoner is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goodisoner View Post
Hey Geoff have you ever used AVIS at Fisherman's Wharf? If so what was the procedure?
I know where it is (Anchorage Square, 500 Beach Street) but have never used it. We have considered it though for future trips where we don't need a car in SF itself.
Old 30 Sep 16, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I will keep this in mind when we use Avis next August, thank you
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread