Notices

Old 9 Mar 17, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

How great that you've booked another trip just like that! My friends stayed at AKL last year and they really liked it.

Looking forward to hearing all about your plans and the trip itself.

ps that Star Wars photo is brilliant!
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
How great that you've booked another trip just like that! My friends stayed at AKL last year and they really liked it.

Looking forward to hearing all about your plans and the trip itself.

ps that Star Wars photo is brilliant!
Thank you! Yes we are really excited to try AKL, even though we've never actually visited.

Ahh the Star Wars photo... it's definitely the gift that keeps giving!
HelenJNT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Given that we aren't going for quite some time, I don't know how often I'll be able to update this report, but a fair few things have happened in the past week, so here we go.

1. We've bought our Universal tickets! I knew I wanted to get these at some point in March to avoid the inevitable price rise in April and when I saw someone on here had posted a link to an Orlando Attraction Tickets pop up sale, I thought "carpe diem" and bought them. We got 2 x 14 day tickets with access to Islands of Adventure, the Studios, and Volcano Bay for £430 so whilst not a mega saving, I think it was about £15 off the current list prices elsewhere, every little helps, right?

The tickets arrived really quickly, only took a couple of days. Impressive! So now I have to read up on Volcano Bay. First impressions are that it looks pretty cool but there's no way in the world you'd ever get me on one of those trapdoor chute rides. #stayawayfromthattrapdoor
Should make for an interesting day of the TR anyway as I hate getting my face wet and had a bit of an unpleasant experience in the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon in 2010...and we haven't been back to a water park since!

2. I was waiting impatiently for our booking to link to the My Disney Experience app, and it wasn't, we kept getting error messages, which I thought was odd as it had always worked ok before. I waited a week, then phoned Guest Care, in what was a distinctly unmagical experience. The chap on the phone asked me why I was bothered about linking it when we hadn't even hit 180 days yet (erm, just because, OK?) and told me there was an issue with my reservation number so he'd have to log a call with back office to fix it. Before I could ask what the issue was, he told me "there's a survey at the end of the call" then put the phone down on me! Now I appreciate that they are probably mad busy sorting out the CBR and CS guests and probably don't have much time to devote to some daft woman wanting to link her booking so far in advance but you know, no need to be rude.

I logged on to the app again yesterday and it's all there (well, except for the tickets and memory maker but I'm hoping they'll rock up in due course). And we've been issued with an entirely new reservation number - I have NO idea why - so I'm glad I called as I'd be pretty peeved if I was trying to book ADRs and nothing was working.

3. Food.
As I've said, it's too early for ADRs but we're making a rough plan.

A wants plenty of BoG breakfasts as he was obsessed with their cronut last time.

We're also going to book the Fantasmic dining package which we do on every trip. We'll be returning to Mama Melrose with some trepidation as it wasn't brilliant last time but it's a clear $40 cheaper than the Brown Derby (cost is king right now) and I've not heard a good thing about Hollywood & Vine. Plus the latter is a Disney Jnr (whooooo?) character breakfast. Part of me wants to book it for the amusement of you folks to read about us awkwardly navigating our way through it, but no. At least I know I like the Caesar salad at Mama Melrose.

I think I'm going to book Sanaa for Thanksgiving. I suspect everywhere will be rammed so we'll prob get to a park, do some fast passes then head back to the resort for a nice evening meal. Hence why I wanted everything cued up for ADRs, I bet Thanksgiving tables will be hard to get. Hopefully not Sanaa though, it's a bit off the beaten track.

We're also contemplating doing a Rivers of Light dining package but I need to read up on those.

That's about it as far as the food planning goes. I researched Victoria & Alberts as a potential for A's 40th but we both decided we'd have fuller luggage this year with jumpers & stuff not to warrant packing formal clothes for one evening. As those if you who read my last TR will know, we don't "do" formal on holiday - but wished we had when we pitched up to the California Grill looking like hillbillies.

4. Shopping.
I just can't help myself. I knew I needed to sort out the footwear thing this time after getting a bit upset when trying to walk miles in Sanuk sandals last year. Great for a short potter about, terrible for 16+ hours of marching on warm concrete.

So fellow dibber RedRach & I researched walking flip flops and we both bought some of the Skechers Go ones. I've shuffled round the house in them a bit and they seem really comfy but Rach is going to road test them on her April trip so I guess I'll know then.

Lisa (Lollipop) has also convinced me that it won't kill me to wear trainers - I'm not a trainer kind of girl - so I'm keeping an eye out for a pair of lightweight running shoes too.

Andy and I also currently have many tshirts sat in a basket on Red Bubble. The ones I've got my eye on are these:

As for his? You'll have to wait til the TR to find out.

Oh, and I bought this jumper yesterday. Rude not to, right?

So that's about it. Amazing what can happen in eight days, isn't it?

Oh...there are also some early plans afoot to meet up with some folks that you'll recognise (no, not Mickey and the gang) one day when we're out there... which is exciting... but more on that in the trip report itself. Got to keep some things up my sleeve I'm afraid.

Thank you to everyone who's been reading and commenting so far, I really appreciate it!

More soon...

Edited at 11:38 AM.
HelenJNT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Ah what a great update, I love how quickly this has all come together!

Those t-shirts are just the best, I think both are totally needed! And some nice lightweight trainers, I promise they will see you right... I swear by my Nikes, Converse in the parks are officially the work of the devil!

247 days to go, I'm too excited for this!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Ah what a great update, I love how quickly this has all come together!

Those t-shirts are just the best, I think both are totally needed! And some nice lightweight trainers, I promise they will see you right... I swear by my Nikes, Converse in the parks are officially the work of the devil!

247 days to go, I'm too excited for this!
Well, I don't muck around, haha. Holiday shopping is the best (even for trainers). Wont be long til the hanging shelves come out in the spare room again!
Old 12 Mar 17, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Buffton
Apprentice Imagineer

Finally catching up with this! Exciting plans. Lovely time of year to go. Sanaa sounds like a good plan for thanks giving. I expect magic kingdom restaurants will be rammed on that day! Thanks for writing up. Looking forward to hearing more about it!
Lizzie x
Buffton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Buffton View Post
Finally catching up with this! Exciting plans. Lovely time of year to go. Sanaa sounds like a good plan for thanks giving. I expect magic kingdom restaurants will be rammed on that day! Thanks for writing up. Looking forward to hearing more about it!
Lizzie x
Thanks for reading! We're looking forward to trying Sanaa after reading rave reviews. So glad it'll be on our doorstep.

Yes, Thanksgiving is going to be an experience! Still, it'll beat being at home/at work!
Old 12 Mar 17, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Ace update H!

So exciting to have your US tickets! I can't wait for your review on Volcano Bay! Looks pretty cool!

Hehe please get that Ariel tshirt. It's golden!

xxx
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm with you on those trap door water rides...no way!

Great update .

And Lisa's right, can't beat the comfort of a good pair of Nikes !
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Redrach1903 View Post
Ace update H!

So exciting to have your US tickets! I can't wait for your review on Volcano Bay! Looks pretty cool!

Hehe please get that Ariel tshirt. It's golden!

xxx
I can't believe how fast they came!

Yes, I am sure I'll get the tshirt! It's me all over. Haha.