Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 6 Aug 23, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
It was from the tavern at Yavapai lodge - he’s quite hard to pleaser sometimes but enjoyed it.

We didn’t no unfortunately- we were well looked after by our hosts so didn’t really eat out much in San Francisco.
We are staying at the Yavapai (again).. so Elk it must be!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 23, 05:37 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

First thing today we did the 17 mile drive around Pebble Beach. Unfortunately the weather was very overcast and some of the sights were not as good as they could have been.

Then we drove to San Luis Obispo to break up the journey to LA. I had booked one night at the Madonna Inn and I’m so glad I did. What a wonderful hotel this is - so unique and quirky. It’s not cheap but I’d managed to get a night for £172 (+resort fee) using the defence discount card.
If you’re in the area it’s definitely worth a stay - I did think it would have been nice to do two nights…
Our room was the Imperial family- each room has a different theme- one super king and a double a divided off room.

There’s a lovely pool and cakes in the bakery are to die for - forgot a picture so nabbed one online.

Tom was tired so Chas and I went to the town for a wander. We saw the famous “Bubblegum Alley” which is probably the most revolting thing I’ve seen in a while (couldn’t help pulling a face!)but had scores of tourists buzzing around!

We had a quick dip and then a cheap dinner in IHOP just next door - we’re easy to please and it was pretty good for the money.
I bought a sneaky bottle of rum in town and had a couple or rum n lemons in the room…
Updated for 5-6 August
babbymint is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 23, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Alcatraz is great, seeing how all the prisoners were kept, those cells are tiny 😬
Shame you didn’t get on a Cable car though
Sausalito is beautiful we go there every time, especially to the bakery
That pink cake looked so so good 🙈😋😋

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 23, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

San Francisco
Today we spent time in Golden Gate park - I really wanted to see the Japanese gardens. It was quite hard to park but we managed it eventually and walked a mile or so. The gardens are really lovely - my friend went with us and has spent 20 years in Japan and said they are very authentic.

We had a quick snack there of Udon noodles which were tasty but not particularly filling - forgot to takes photos.

Then we drove over the Golden Gate Bridge but it was so foggy that we couldn’t even see the top of it! This is apparently the norm for San Francisco.

It’s so weird though, more or less as soon as you get over the bridge the weather changes to lovely sunshine. Sausalito is a lovely little seaside resort, we had a wander around, bought some souvenirs and had an ice cream. Really lovely.
I am guessing that it was a ‘Laperts’ Ice Cream?
I have a bit of a weakness for Ice Cream and Laperts was certainly very good!
Better even than the very best cake, ClaireNJ!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 23, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

First thing today we did the 17 mile drive around Pebble Beach. Unfortunately the weather was very overcast and some of the sights were not as good as they could have been.

Then we drove to San Luis Obispo to break up the journey to LA. I had booked one night at the Madonna Inn and I’m so glad I did. What a wonderful hotel this is - so unique and quirky. It’s not cheap but I’d managed to get a night for £172 (+resort fee) using the defence discount card.
If you’re in the area it’s definitely worth a stay - I did think it would have been nice to do two nights…
Our room was the Imperial family- each room has a different theme- one super king and a double a divided off room.

There’s a lovely pool and cakes in the bakery are to die for - forgot a picture so nabbed one online.

Tom was tired so Chas and I went to the town for a wander. We saw the famous “Bubblegum Alley” which is probably the most revolting thing I’ve seen in a while (couldn’t help pulling a face!)but had scores of tourists buzzing around!

We had a quick dip and then a cheap dinner in IHOP just next door - we’re easy to please and it was pretty good for the money.
I bought a sneaky bottle of rum in town and had a couple or rum n lemons in the room…
The Madonna Inn is fabulous. Whether you walk away impressed or otherwise, it is for certain that you will never, ever forget it.
Really sorry to see that fog has obscured so many of your days, thus far and am hoping that things clear up for you. Of course, there is sometimes smog in LA 😩

Needless to say, I am really enjoying this trip report!

Edited at 08:14 AM.
Old 8 Aug 23, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Really enjoying following along. Bit of a shame about the foggy weather though.
We go in September but are only doing San Francisco and Anaheim.
Old 8 Aug 23, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Alcatraz is great, seeing how all the prisoners were kept, those cells are tiny 😬
Shame you didn’t get on a Cable car though
Sausalito is beautiful we go there every time, especially to the bakery
That pink cake looked so so good 🙈😋😋
The pink champagne cake was simply devine!
babbymint is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 23, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
Really enjoying following along. Bit of a shame about the foggy weather though.
We go in September but are only doing San Francisco and Anaheim.
My friend says that is typical for August but that September is the best month to go. San Francisco is peculiar- it seems to have its own micro climate- the weather there was very much like the uk.
Old 8 Aug 23, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The Madonna Inn is fabulous. Whether you walk away impressed or otherwise, it is for certain that you will never, ever forget it.
Really sorry to see that fog has obscured so many of your days, thus far and am hoping that things clear up for you. Of course, there is sometimes smog in LA 😩

Needless to say, I am really enjoying this trip report!
Thanks CFB - we’re in LA now and weather is very pleasant, not too hot or smoggy at the moment 🤞

Edited at 05:43 PM.
Old 8 Aug 23, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I am guessing that it was a ‘Laperts’ Ice Cream?
I have a bit of a weakness for Ice Cream and Laperts was certainly very good!
Better even than the very best cake, ClaireNJ!
Do you know I’m not sure, I’ll have to look at my cc bill. It was delicious though - and not cheap!