Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 12 Oct 19, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

Is it time reality tv ended?

I was talking to people at work about 90s Saturday night tv against nowadays and they all agreed that since 2000 when Big Brother hit our screens the whole of the free view channels is full of reality tv, game shows or repeats.
Like for Example 90’s I sat down watching:
4:30 Final Score with my dad
Around 5:30 Big Break we all watched
6 Generation Game or Challenge Anneka
7 Noel’s house Party
8 Lottery
10 Match of the day

Now I just watch Final Score and Match of the day if my team has won. Tv for me has gone from a family viewing to Women viewing. Tonight I watched neverending story on Netflix as there was nothing to watch on tv.
Like I watch UK Gold a lot as bbc and itv don’t make comedy programs anymore.

Edited at 11:48 PM.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Billy Beatnik
Imagineer

Hate reality tv. Fed up of all the ‘celebrity specials’ of tv shows, we never have a clue who they are. Seems like you only have to be seen on tv one or twice and you’re a celebrity. Then again, it’s all the brain dead morons who watch these shows and give these people their celebrity status. I’m going to stop here before I really get started!
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lorrie36
VIP Dibber

Yep, get rid of it, I won’t miss it.
I’m no grouch, but so many of these “stars” think they are owed something.
Those that should be recognised are people who do real jobs... I’ll stop now too 🙊😜🤣

lorrie36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

Mobile

I don’t understand the “from family viewing to women viewing” comment.

Port Orleans Riverside ~ Oct 2012
Hard Rock Hotel (no Disney!) ~ Aug 2016
New York, Sheraton NY Times Square ~ Feb 2017
Santorini, Dana Villas ~ Aug 2017
Yacht Club ~ Sept 2018
Caribbean Cruise, P&O ~ Mar 2019
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2022
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2023

Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Get rid of the lot... other than I’m a celebrity get me out of here’. I never tire of seeing how former ‘stars’ will do quite literally anything for a chance of another slice of the cake.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

Depends what you class as reality TV, I quite like reality programs that give an insight into something like Heathrow or the Emergancy services.
Anything that focus on the word Celebrity, like get me out of here, made in chelsea, love Island and so on I find to be mind numbing dross, cheap and easy to make.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by themeparksandy View Post
I was talking to people at work about 90s Saturday night tv against nowadays and they all agreed that since 2000 when Big Brother hit our screens the whole of the free view channels is full of reality tv, game shows or repeats.
Like for Example 90’s I sat down watching:
4:30 Final Score with my dad
Around 5:30 Big Break we all watched
6 Generation Game or Challenge Anneka
7 Noel’s house Party
8 Lottery
10 Match of the day

Now I just watch Final Score and Match of the day if my team has won. Tv for me has gone from a family viewing to Women viewing. Tonight I watched neverending story on Netflix as there was nothing to watch on tv.
Like I watch UK Gold a lot as bbc and itv don’t make comedy programs anymore.
Agree that reality tv has gone too far but do you think it’s only women viewing it?!
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
I think there is too much reality tv, but equally I wasn’t overly keen on the “family” viewing from years ago. The difference was then there were only 4 or 5 channels to watch, so that’s what you watched.

Now, with You Tube etc, people seem more interested in watching other people’s lives than actually living their own

Edited to add - men watch reality shows as much as women. We only watch Strictly and (occasionally) XFactor as OH watches it.

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?

Edited at 08:39 PM.
vanlou is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
As long as people keep watching the rubbish (personal opinion), advertisers will keep paying premium rates so TV companies will keep showing it!

I hate reality TV, but it is my choice, so I don't watch it. You have the same option
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Agree that reality tv has gone too far but do you think it’s only women viewing it?!
Sorry didn’t mean nothing against Women but men would only watch Reality tv if there partners or wives watched it. Our sky planner got Strictly, 4 in a bed, Coach Trip, Bake off, Don’t tell the bride and the hunted. Out of all them I just watch Hunted and Coach trip and even that done my head In this season with it been on a hour instead of half hour.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List