Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Mar 11, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post

dress with train ... practical for garden wedding?

After my nightmare finding the dress I loved in a shop anywhere... I have seen another one but it has a small sweeping train but im not sure how practical it is?

what are your thoughts on having a sweep train for an outside garden wedding followed by a meal elsewhere?

do you think it would be a pain?
do you think it would get stepped on by other people?
wouldnt it get really dirty?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 11, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

I think it depends on how grassy the garden is and how long the train is. I had quite a longish train on mine and although I didn't have a garden wedding I had a garden drinks reception and photos on the beach. Yes it got dirty, but underneath. It also got trod on a few times but that was later on on the dance floor. I'm probably not selling the idea to you very well! Lol. But my point is that most dresses tend to get dirty no matter what the terrain is, you can't see it on the pictures and people are very good with brides trains I found and no matter what type if wedding you have the dress is bound to get dirty on dusty floors and such like. I got married in a castle and the floor was concrete and so I picked up some dust underneath. Most dresses also come with a loop on the back which you can either slip around your wrist or use to pin the train up when you are dancing or walking between photo shots. I love dresses with trains - you get an awful lot of behind shots as well as front and the trains look so amazing walking down the aisle I think. If I had a garden wedding I would still have gone for a train as they glide when they need to, look fab in pics and are so weddingy.
You can get them cleaned after of course which you'd need to do no matter what dress you had.
I don't know if that helps!
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 11, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for the reality check Alkel you're right, any dress will get grubby regardless!
Was it difficult to get in and out of cars?
also my wedding breakfast will be in a public restaurant in florida as we are only going to be a tiny wedding party so you think that will be more difficult?

I will show you the dress it might help you picture the size of the train

Edited at 02:17 PM. Reason: ops
Old 6 Mar 11, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post

the non train option is ...

Old 6 Mar 11, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Wow, firstly beautiful dress! It's perfect for a Florida wedding I think. No, it was ok getting in and out of cars BUT I did pick a car with a big back seat as I also had a hoop - would you have a hoop underneath? I'd say not looking at the dress but I'm not sure. My wedding montage is in this forum somewhere if you scroll down and you can see me getting out of the car if you want to see it in action. Lol.
I still think you'll be fine in a public restaurant with the train but other Orlando brides might be able to advise on that one. Oo you know what might help you - have a look at thd trip reports at the top, that way you can see other Florida brides and their dresses. I think you'll be fine myself and I can totally see why you want the dress. :-)
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 11, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

I just saw the 2nd dress - both very pretty. Have you tried them on? Which one do you prefer?
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
Old 6 Mar 11, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
angel81uk
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I've chosen a dress with a similar length train so I say go for it! I was concerned as mine is quite a delicate lace and getting married on the boardwalk I'm kind of worried about it snagging. I talked to the shop about my concerns and they said they're able to either alter the dress to remove the train altogether, or keep the train for the ceremony and sew some ties/buttons to the inside of the skirt which can be tied together to bustle the skirt. I think I'm going to go for the bustle option as it's the best of both worlds, I can have the train for pictures etc but them bustle it up for walking around afterwards to stop it getting too dirty/damaged/trodden on etc.
10 Nights SSR October 2016
angel81uk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 11, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
I just saw the 2nd dress - both very pretty. Have you tried them on? Which one do you prefer?
Yeah good idea i will scour the trip reports

I just luurve the vintage look of the first one but think the second one will be more practical.

I havent tried either on, I have found them online at very good prices there not from china there both from ranges that are not available now

But on the plus side there not mega expensive. The first one is from a shop where I can sent it back if I dont like it, so that would be ok. The second one is less money but more of a gamble as I cant send it back.

Edited at 03:09 PM.
Old 6 Mar 11, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by angel81uk View Post
I've chosen a dress with a similar length train so I say go for it! I was concerned as mine is quite a delicate lace and getting married on the boardwalk I'm kind of worried about it snagging. I talked to the shop about my concerns and they said they're able to either alter the dress to remove the train altogether, or keep the train for the ceremony and sew some ties/buttons to the inside of the skirt which can be tied together to bustle the skirt. I think I'm going to go for the bustle option as it's the best of both worlds, I can have the train for pictures etc but them bustle it up for walking around afterwards to stop it getting too dirty/damaged/trodden on etc.
first congratulations, A boardwalk wedding would be amazing!
thats a great idea about the bustle - have you had that done already - do you have pictures of bustle and non bustle?
Old 6 Mar 11, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
angel81uk
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by me love stitch View Post
first congratulations, A boardwalk wedding would be amazing!
thats a great idea about the bustle - have you had that done already - do you have pictures of bustle and non bustle?
I haven't had it done yet, I just had the call a couple of weeks ago to say my dress has arrived so I'm just waiting to have the fitting.

This is my dress though

And this link shows some different bustle styles that I'm going to take along to the fitting
weddingbee/2009/03/03...ng-the-bustle/
10 Nights SSR October 2016
angel81uk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread