Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Apr 12, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Snorkelling Masks at Discovery Cove

Hi all,

In prep for our upcoming trip I booked youngest DS onto a 'learn to snorkel' course ... he was desperate to do it. When we got there he was handed a mask, got in confidently and then got straight back out again. What followed was some very patient lifeguards trying to find a mask that fits his narrow face. By half way through he was throwing a fit and in the end gave up.

Do the masks at DC always fit? Should I try and find one beforehand that does fit him, and if so then would he be able to use it? Today has shaken him, and as our trip is a surprise I will have to work hard to get him to have another go before we go, or will he find the DC masks OK.

I know I am being over fussy, I just want to avoid meltdowns where I can!

Caj
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 12, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerbell1971
Apprentice Imagineer

tinkerbell1971's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
hi, the masks can be made bigger or smaller on the strap so we had no problems. My dd is small and we just arranged the strap to fit her face. Don't worry i am sure everyting will be fine. xx
tinkerbell1971 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 12, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
finnsmum
Imagineer

finnsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Guidebook Photos: 1
when we went to DC there were two masks one for kids and one for adults.
Old 14 Apr 12, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post
JoC
Serious Dibber

How old is your son? as this may make a difference - we didn't find a problem when DS's were 3 so unless his face is really narrow you should be fine
Old 14 Apr 12, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
He's 9 and very particular! You guys have reassured me. Hopefully he will be so blown away by it all that he will just get on with it!
Caj
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 12, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Hammetts
Excited about Disney

The staff are fantastic at DC - don't worry you will find they have all the sizes and all the colours!

DW, DS1 and I all need perscription glasses full time - they even have perscription masks to cater for that as well!

You will have the time of you life!

Regards

1999 Sequoia Lodge - DLP
2003 Hotel Saphir - DLP
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2007 Sequoia Lodge - DLP
2009 Port Orleans Riverside/Sanibel Harbour Resort/Marriott Clearwater Beach
2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Hammetts is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 12, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sorry but I have to disagree!
They have 2 sizes of masks - adults and children.
They also have prescription masks.
They are all adjustable on the strap but so would have the ones he tried on at his snorkelling lesson.
My son is also very particular and after trying several types at home, (including a Discovery Cove one that I bought off Ebay), it became apparent that he could only cope with the ones that do not have two separate pieces of glass for the eyes as he found the bar down the middle too distracting. I eventually found him one that worked perfectly for him and he had several months of practise in the bath before our holiday.
The result was, we had a fantastic day doing loads of snorkelling at DC and in the pool villa.

If he is that particular that it caused a problem in the lesson, do not leave it to chance. Find one that works for him and he is happy with before you go. You have spent too much money on the day to have it spoilt because he can't get on with the snorkel.
Having said that, I would add that a snorkel is a lovely bonus for DC, not a necessity. He can use goggles of go without altogether and still have a great time.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 12, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread