Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 16 Mar 21, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

asian cooking thread

thought i'd start a thread dedicated to asian cuisine.

whats your favourite dish/recipe?

today i was winging it. i finely diced:

1 medium onion
1 stick celery
1 carrot
1 orange pepper
4 jalapenos
2 birds eye chillis
in a frying pan for 5 mins, then added finely chopped dried galangal, finely diced garlic, a tablespoon of minced garlic & ginger, a teaspoon of lemongrass paste, a glug of fish sauce and a big dollop of thai sweet chilli sauce to balance it all out

I added in chopped fresh basil leaves and coriander stalks, and 5 chopped spring onions at the end.

there was way too much base mix for one meal, so i took out half of it and put it in a tub for the freezer, then added a can of coconut milk to the pan and combined.

it needs to cook down by a third, i'll be doing that once the fish is nearly ready.

i got a whole monkfish tail out the freezer this morning, coated it in half a leftover jar of thai red curry paste and dropped the bag into the sous vide water bath. it's now cooking at 155f for an hour or so (when we're ready to eat)... when its done, i'm going to pour the juices into the pan of curry, and split the fish down the middle (it should just pull off the bone whole after an hour in the bath)

then throw in a handful of giant shrimp, which i've marinaded in cajun seasoning and thai sweet chilli sauce just before serving.

just need to chuck the rice cooker on after i get out the bath, finish and serve

i'll update later with the finished meal, but expect plenty more recipes as i make them. next up may or may not be mutton rendang, or schezuan chicken depending on my mood

please share your favourite dishes/photos here too, i'd love to get some inspiration from others!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 21, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

We love our curries, we’ve recently bought The Curry Legend kit, it’s a recipe book and 4 pots of spice mixes, we’re very impressed with it, we’ve tried about 6 of them now and they’re very authentic x
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Supersuzie
Helping Mickey

That looks delicious Wanye!

We love making summer rolls and trying out different ingredients in them and making different dips for them. They are so fresh and light and the combination of coriander and mint is really tasty. We get the rice paper sheets and rice noodles from the Chinese supermarket and our favourite filling is smoked salmon and prawns.

They are really fun to make too and we tend to roll one at a time, eat it and then roll the next, kind of like fajitas.
Supersuzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 21, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Mmmm... that sounds and looks amazing. Would love to see the finished meal
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

damn that was good!

ok, so about 15 mins before i took the fish out the bath, i started reducing the sauce down, and added some extra veg (green beans, sugar snap peas and petits pois) and toasted some chopped salted peanuts

take the fish out the bath, and pour the curry paste fish stock into the pan

the fish was cooked enough to just pull each half of the tail off the bone whole, but not have it fall apart

check that MASSIVE SHRIMP! they are the big costco ones (13-15 i think)

and the monkfish... beautifully cooked. you cant really go wrong and overcook it with sous vide

got a pot of the veg/curry base for the freezer, and another pot of the finished sauce, which ive clearly labelled as "thai red curry sauce for fish" for another time

daaaaaaaaamn. from never having had monkfish before to cooking two PROPER BO! dishes in a couple of weeks. i'm inpressed and will definitely be buying it again...

Edited at 10:02 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Looks fantastic... wish I could cook.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List