Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jun 21, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
bwfc4ife
VIP Dibber

Hope they don't go. Maybe it's just me, but the magic band is a little something extra that makes me feel part of it all. I usually carry on wearing it when we get home for a couple of days too because I don't want to take it off
bwfc4ife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Over time I suspect Disney will encourage people to use their mobile phones and the Disney app where possible. However, they will also still sell MagicBands for the foreseeable future.

Just in case anyone wasn't aware, you no longer get MagicBands for free when staying onsite.

Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Our next trip is Jan 2022 and we will get Star Wars Magicbands as part of the deal from ATC, however we have to go to Disney Springs to pick them up, something I don’t necessarily want to do early in the holiday. Whilst I realise we can unlock our AofA room using the My Disney Experience App, I wonder if our old bands will work for local RFID tapping purposes, if not the longer range ride photo functionality?
Yes, they should still work for the short range tapping stuff. However, they won't work for the longer range stuff, such as ride photos. You would have to tap your old MagicBand on the screens after the ride to link the photos then.

Originally Posted by Shades View Post
I have read mixed opinions on this. The bands are the old style (non-capsule) and are from 2016 so the batteries are probably kaput by now.
The batteries will be kaput. But the short range RFID tap-to-enter/link functionality doesn't require batteries.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
halloweenbaby2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
we've got the deal for this November and i think it was mentioned somewhere, poss the small print. Bit annoying that we've got to travel to springs on our first night but they're included in the cost so we'll take them

I've just checked here attractiontickets/en...tels/MagicBand

How to collect your Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge MagicBand

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge MagicBands will not be posted to customers in advance of their holidays and must be collected from Planet Hollywood at Disney Springs.
Your Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge MagicBand can be collected at any time during your holiday and is not needed to get into the Disney Parks. However, should you wish to use your MagicBand as your admission ticket or your Disney hotel room key, please collect at the start of your Orlando holiday.
Thanks for that. Don't you just love the small print!
Luckily we are doing Universal first this time so we have a few days before we need to pick them up.
halloweenbaby2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
I read yesterday that the next thing to go might be Magic Bands. Has anyone else heard this? I’d be pretty disappointed if this does happen - they are so handy and gives the kids autonomy.
I wouldn't mind if thye were removed, they are pointless nowadays.

We already have :

1) Cash
2) Credit/Debit Card
3) Phone Payments

I go nowhere without my phone, neither do my kids so why would I need another payment method

Best to move these payments to a phone
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
A&S&O
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I wouldn't mind if thye were removed, they are pointless nowadays.

We already have :

1) Cash
2) Credit/Debit Card
3) Phone Payments

I go nowhere without my phone, neither do my kids so why would I need another payment method

Best to move these payments to a phone
All of which have to be removed from pockets / bags and aren't waterproof. We find Magic Band to be so useful.
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW, 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLP x3, 2015 DLR + DLP x2, 2016 WDW + DLP x2, 2017 WDWx2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2, 2019 WDWx2, 2022 WDWx2, 2023 DLP x2. 2024 DLP x2, WDW. 2025 planning WDW.
A&S&O is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
The MagicBand isn't another payment method.

It allows you to charge items to your room account and then you pay off your room account using cash, your credit card or debit card, or whatever.

The MagicBand is more about convenience. It's there on your wrist so you just hold up your wrist to tap to enter. And it's waterproof so you can take it with you when swimming.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
The MagicBand isn't another payment method.

It allows you to charge items to your room account and then you pay off your room account using cash, your credit card or debit card, or whatever.

The MagicBand is more about convenience. It's there on your wrist so you just hold up your wrist to tap to enter. And it's waterproof so you can take it with you when swimming.
I can see your point, but I also suggest that my credit card is waterproof
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Also the MB isn't just about payment. It's to get into the parks, into rides, into your room. It will enable certain things to happen in rides (eg special messages with your name - I don't know if this still happens? It did in some rides for a while I think.)

You will be able to use your phone, or even your Apple watch, to do all those things if you want. So a MB is not essential. But it will always be there on your wrist, never need charging, never need getting out of a bag or a pocket - plus they come in lots of great designs so make a good souvenir.

I'm not surprised Disney are not pushing them any more. Giving them free with every visit was an environmental nightmare (particularly for Americans who might go every couple of months). And there is a reason every other Disney park in the world decided not to bother with MBs, when you can do everything with an app instead.

But still ... I like them, and will probably buy one.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I can see your point, but I also suggest that my credit card is waterproof
True. Assuming you are happy just to carry your credit card around - either in your hand, in a pocket of your swimming shorts, or tucked into your bikini - whilst you go swimming.

Having something securely strapped to your wrist that allows you to pay for things as well as open your hotel door when you return (and a couple of other things) is a little more convenient.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 16 Jun 21, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I'm not surprised Disney are not pushing them any more. Giving them free with every visit was an environmental nightmare (particularly for Americans who might go every couple of months). And there is a reason every other Disney park in the world decided not to bother with MBs, when you can do everything with an app instead.

But still ... I like them, and will probably buy one.
I will continue to use my old MagicBand when at Disney in Orlando. We stay off-site, so they only get used for park entries & FP+. Just very convenient as it's on your wrist and completely waterproof - unlike a phone (I could use the Apple Watch though as that is waterproof). I just dread the thought is being facing the wrong way, i.e. backwards on the Kali River Rapids - don't want my iPhone 12 Pro getting drenched.

Am sure I read somewhere that the reason MagicBands were not rolled out to other Disney parks is because the Florida project went significantly over budget.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List