Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 7 Jun 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahmarie173
Apprentice Imagineer

help needed - newly diagnosed diabetic

hi all

i'm debating getting a freestyle Libre for my trip and getting the Miao Miao and linking them - has anyone had any experience , good or bad reviews im intrigued.

also i'm looking for best sugary snack to carry around with me as I have never done this before ( its my first year as a T1D) I have no clue what or how much to bring!

my anxiety regarding my new diagnosis hasn't been great so i'm hoping for as much information, help or advice possible.

thank you all x
Old 7 Jun 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Cosworth
Apprentice Imagineer

Always carry Jelly Babies, 5 are recommended if you have a hypo (recomended by a diabetic nurse).
Sorry, can't help about the Libre and Miao Miao, have no experience of them.
Look on "diabetes.co.uk" for useful information and join the forum to ask specific questions as the members are very helpful and have a lot of experience to share.
Cosworth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I don't have diabetes, but I follow Emma Porter on Twitter. She talks a lot about her type1, the ups and downs and how she deals with it. Her story is here thelowcarbkitchen/type...etes-my-story/ if you are interested
meboo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

T1 Diabetes

OP
Our daughter is T1 for the last 30 odd years, and her eldest daughter (No.1 Grand Daughter) also T1 for the last 5 years, just booked their 3rd trip to Orlando for next year, if memory serves, you are allowed extra hand luggage (for all your T1 requirements) just check with your airline, and they have had no problem with the pumps apart from a day or two adjusting to the time difference, but if you want a bit more information if you PM me I will ask her for some more details... happy planning!
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Ohana Disney
First POST

At the airport go to the special assistance desk and ask for a sunflower lanyard. It shows the staff you might need extra support and you don’t need to explain anything to anyone. We got fast tracked through security which massively helped my 11 yr old type 1 as she didn’t have to queue. Might help your anxiety too.
Ohana Disney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List