Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 13 Feb 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Great thread thanks all! am hoping to get a Northcote Gourmet boxed meal for my parents its their 50th wedding anniversary next month, and it looks like a fabulous idea.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 21, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Great thread thanks all! am hoping to get a Northcote Gourmet boxed meal for my parents its their 50th wedding anniversary next month, and it looks like a fabulous idea.
Northcote is amazing. It will be my first meal out once restrictions start to lift!
I’m sure they will love it. My cousin got the Gourmet Box last month and said there was tons of food and they struggled to get through it all!
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 21, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

heres what i wrote on facebook/twitter about it last night...

Just had the first round of #mommabains Curry takeout. Amazing!

If I were to rate them in order I'd go:

Lamb keema... Wow! Stunning! I want to try making that myself, always been underwhelmed by keema dishes previously, but this was rammed with flavour

Then I would choose...

Aloo Gobi - the bite of the cauliflower did it for me, it's pretty close to the keema, so a good veggie choice. Then close behind was...

Saag aloo - it's rare to have potato that isn't just a soggy way to bulk something out, it's the star ingredient

Finally, the Lentil dhal. It's only in last place because its just lentils... But it's cooked by a team of 2* Michelin chefs, so it's all relative anyway

And finally, the samosas. Crikey! I'll definitely be getting more from @TheCodsScallops soon... Beautifully balanced! (these were only available for collection orders as far as i know)

The best thing? There's enough leftovers for another crack at it later! Don't want to ruin it by eating too much, so that'll do for late night munchies 🙂

mommabains/

shop opens again this coming friday for either collection from the restaurant (nottingham near the showcase) or for courier delivery on the following friday. i thoroughly recommend it!

my review on their fb page:

until they can reopen, I thoroughly recommend the momma bains takeaway cook at home box as a way to support them. for the same price as a nice normal curry from a normal place you can currently get 4/5 truly amazing pouches of boil in the bag Indian food handmade by a Michelin 2* chef and his team!

enough for two with a generous amount leftovers for later in the evening AND a butter sauce bag for a whole extra meal later in the week.

it's worth stumping up the extra for some samosas as well, they are the perfect starter.

all you need to do is provide rice and breads. as easy enough task for anybody! the rest just get warmed up in a pan/microwave/water bath

treat yourself, you can thank me later 🙂
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 21, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Your curry looks lovely. I will set myself a reminder to go on the website when the next box goes on sale.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Wanye that looks superb!

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Thanks Wayne, I've set a reminder to order on Friday.

I'm working from home at the moment but in normal times I visit Nottingham quite often. I'll be getting samosas as soon as I can!
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by wanye View Post

Lamb keema... Wow! Stunning! I want to try making that myself, always been underwhelmed by keema dishes previously, but this was rammed with flavour

Then I would choose...

Aloo Gobi - the bite of the cauliflower did it for me, it's pretty close to the keema, so a good veggie choice. Then close behind was...

Saag aloo - it's rare to have potato that isn't just a soggy way to bulk something out, it's the star ingredient

Finally, the Lentil dhal. It's only in last place because its just lentils... But it's cooked by a team of 2* Michelin chefs, so it's all relative anyway

And finally, the samosas. Crikey! I'll definitely be getting more from @TheCodsScallops soon... Beautifully balanced! (these were only available for collection orders as far as i know)

The best thing? There's enough leftovers for another crack at it later! Don't want to ruin it by eating too much, so that'll do for late night munchies 🙂

mommabains/

shop opens again this coming friday for either collection from the restaurant (nottingham near the showcase) or for courier delivery on the following friday. i thoroughly recommend it!

until they can reopen, I thoroughly recommend the momma bains takeaway cook at home box as a way to support them. for the same price as a nice normal curry from a normal place you can currently get 4/5 truly amazing pouches of boil in the bag Indian food handmade by a Michelin 2* chef and his team!

enough for two with a generous amount leftovers for later in the evening AND a butter sauce bag for a whole extra meal later in the week.

it's worth stumping up the extra for some samosas as well, they are the perfect starter.

all you need to do is provide rice and breads. as easy enough task for anybody! the rest just get warmed up in a pan/microwave/water bath

It all looks amazing Wanye. I was wondering what level of skill would be required as I know you are a very competent chef. Looks very straightforward - even I might be able to manage
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 21, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wanye View Post

Then I would choose...

mommabains/

It looks like a good spread. I looked at it last week when you posted the link but the lamb keema put me off (as it contains the devils own food, peas). I hope it is something different next time, DH would enjoy it.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

if you dont want to shove them all in the microwave or put in 4 separate pans to reheat, i asked Sat himself how best to do it sous vide, and he said 75c for 15-30 minutes. you could easily achieve this in a large pan of water on the hob and a thermometer rather than a proper sous vide stick

saves on washing up too!

here's the menu for next week...

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
It all looks amazing Wanye. I was wondering what level of skill would be required as I know you are a very competent chef. Looks very straightforward - even I might be able to manage
no skill whatsoever needed. if you have zero skill, just get a couple of bags of microwave rice, and a couple of pre-made naan breads or roti's. i made a bit of effort and cooked my own rice (1 cup of xxl basmati, 1.5 cups boiling water with a ham stock cube dissolved in, and a teaspoon of turmeric in the rice cooker for 15 mins or so, but you can do exactly the same in a large pyrex measuring jug with a plate/cling film on top in the microwave for 8-10 mins) and cooked some frozen onion parathas. the pakoras were just warmed in the oven on a baking tray at 150c for 10 mins or so (along with a couple of fresh bhaji from the local indian supermarket)

so easy!

Edited at 01:24 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I’ve got my cook at home box from a local restaurant to have tonight, I picked it up this morning and it’s very well presented with clear instructions etc.
I did go to Lidl to buy some olives, a bit more bread, some cheeses etc, only because the portions do look very small, I’ve been on a diet since November so I’m used to eating less. But DH might swallow the portions whole so just trying to bulk it out a bit.
Will report back later