Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 6 Mar 21, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
bex0309
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
If you have any questions about going with a baby please feel feee
To ask. We took George when he was 7 months old. Sadly, due to the flipping pandemic we’ve not been back and have cancelled twice.
We are aiming for NOV 22 now. Kids will be almost 6 and almost 4.

Eek.
Thanks - that is so kind of you. Would you consider a split stay? Or do you think that would be too disruptive?

We may not be able to get BLT for the whole trip, so we may end up needing to split accommodation and could be a chance to try both a studio and a 1 bed.

Fingers crossed you can plan your next trip without a cancellation - it is so tough. We were hoping to go this year as it is our 10th wedding anniversary and we got married at Disney's Yach Club, but it just wasn't meant to be.
Nov 2011: OKW & WDW Wedding! Sep 2010: Coronado Springs
bex0309 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
blackbird
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by bex0309 View Post
We are DVC members since 2011 and haven't been to WDW since the pandemic and now have a 17 month old and another one on the way.

As the vaccine roll out is well under way here, we were thinking we may be able to travel next year to WDW.

We've only ever travelled to WDW as a couple and would appreciate some guidance on rooms for four of us. Our home resort is BCV, so we'll book there at 11 months and then we were thinking about trying to switch to BLT at 7 months, for easy access to the Magic Kingdom.

The question is whether we go for a studio or a one bed? We've stayed in a one bed at OKW and AKL and loved the extra space, but we only have enough points for 12 nights in the one bed or 23 nights in a studio.

As this will be our first time travelling with children, is this a no brainer, should we go for the one bed?

Any hints, tips or thoughts on our 1st trip as a family would be much appreciated!
I think it's a choice between space or nights 12 v 23 I know which I'd take but everyone is different.
blackbird is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Thanks - that is so kind of you. Would you consider a split stay? Or do you think that would be too disruptive?

We may not be able to get BLT for the whole trip, so we may end up needing to split accommodation and could be a chance to try both a studio and a 1 bed.

Fingers crossed you can plan your next trip without a cancellation - it is so tough. We were hoping to go this year as it is our 10th wedding anniversary and we got married at Disney's Yach Club, but it just wasn't meant to be.
We didn’t because the thought of packing up, moving and being without a room for the day put us off.

Disney will transfer your luggage for you so that makes it a bit easier but if your new room isn’t ready till 4 it’s a bit of a pain. Of course it all depends on what your family is like and how old they will be. Our daughter NEVER naps in her buggy so we would have needed to take her back for our break. But again, we are also really strict with their routines, others aren’t. It’s courses for horses.

1 beds are much easier to come by than studios so you would probably be able to get what you wanted with a split stay.

If you stay at OKW or SSR your points will go much further than bay lake. Or the hallowed value rooms at AKV but without owning there is like finding hens teeth.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

We did think about that but worried it might be an extra disruption for the children - or seeing as how everything will be new to them will that not matter do you think?
I don't think they'd see it as a disruption, just as something new. You'll head out to the park in the morning and go back to a different room. Just make sure you have everything you need on you, but as they're so young you'll be used to having to carry large bags.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Only you know your kids and now flexible/adaptable they are.

Our daughter would be fine. Our son would not.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
JaguarSkills
Proud to wear my Ears

Just my 2p worth at that age surely they will just be in travel cots?

Go for the 23 nights!
JaguarSkills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

You're right - there is all the extra equipment to think about!
Let’s work out what you will have in a studio room baby wise:

2 travel Cots
Double buggy/2 singles
2 high chairs
Suitcases(a couple will slide under the bed)

Tbh. I think a bay lake studio might be a push. They are small anyway plus they have the coffee table/ottoman which you won’t need. Maybe ask housekeeping to take it away? Then you might have room.

You’ll need some room for them to wander around, you can put the cots up and down but that will soon get boring.

What about OKW where the studios are much bigger? Could you each sleep with one child in a bed then you wouldn’t need the travel cots? Or at bay lake one child on each bed /sofa bed with an adult.
Old 16 May 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
bex0309
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks everyone for responding. We are going to book 8 nights in a BCV studio and then 8 nights in a BCV 1 bed, then at 7 months we are going to try and move the 1 bed to BLT, as someone very helpfully said, the 1 bed will hopefully have more availability.

I know there were suggestions of moving to a less pointy resort, but we love our home resort and think our son, who will be 2.5 when we go, will love Stormalong bay! Plus, the proximity to MK at BLT, knowing that we will have to plan much shorter days, is so attractive that I think it is worth it this time.

We are going in May, which I know is not a peak DVC time, so fingers crossed we can get that BLT room!

If it turns out we decide that we probably will need to stay in 1 beds going forwards, then we may need more points! Which, when we have to start taking school holiday time breaks, we knew we might have to anyway!
Nov 2011: OKW & WDW Wedding! Sep 2010: Coronado Springs
bex0309 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We often share a studio, but I wouldn’t go back to a Bay Lake Studio with 4 of us. They are exceptionally small.

I think your plan of half and half works well. We like to do this when we have the points.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Thanks everyone for responding. We are going to book 8 nights in a BCV studio and then 8 nights in a BCV 1 bed, then at 7 months we are going to try and move the 1 bed to BLT, as someone very helpfully said, the 1 bed will hopefully have more availability.

I know there were suggestions of moving to a less pointy resort, but we love our home resort and think our son, who will be 2.5 when we go, will love Stormalong bay! Plus, the proximity to MK at BLT, knowing that we will have to plan much shorter days, is so attractive that I think it is worth it this time.

We are going in May, which I know is not a peak DVC time, so fingers crossed we can get that BLT room!

If it turns out we decide that we probably will need to stay in 1 beds going forwards, then we may need more points! Which, when we have to start taking school holiday time breaks, we knew we might have to anyway!
Good luck getting BLT, it may be worth budgeting for a lake view, the standard views are usually the first to go.

little tip, request an outer rim room, they're significantly larger than the inner.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List