Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 15 Mar 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDose
Serious Dibber

Disney Disability Access System - Abusing the system

For those whom are not aware of the DAS, it allows those with disabilities to receive a return
time to a ride where, upon their return, they can then use the Fast Pass entry. They DO NOT queue jump, but instead receive a return time that matches the current wait time for the ride.

Recently I've been watching live streamers on YouTube who hold annual passes who aren't disabled. Both of these ladies state that they have family members whom are disabled, but these family members never attend the parks with them. Day in and day out they can be seen reporting to cast members and receiving return times for themselves and their perfectly abled entourage.

Though I appreciate that they're not queue jumping, surely this an abuse of the system and not what it was intended for. With the suspension of Fast Pass+, isn't this just another way for dishonest people to report a supposed disability to guest relations and gain entry perks to rides?

What are your thoughts. Do you think 'good luck to them' or do you think it's unethical at best?

Edited at 03:01 PM.
DisneyDose is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I think they shoukd be reported - and then banned of caught abusing the system, although Disney wont enforce this 🙁

When we were there we saw abuse of the system with the disabled person not riding but a whole family skipping through. 🙁
Old 15 Mar 21, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

Mobile

DAS is for hidden disabilities. Not for mobility/wheelchair users.

How would you know which person out of a group qualified for the DAS pass?

We usually have it, and nobody watching would ever know which person in our group qualified for it. It could also be that more than one person in the group. They aren't necessarily cheating the system.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

I haven‘t given it too much thought, but on using system previously, the qualifying guest taps in first with their magic band, and Mickey goes blue...the rest of the party then tap in and Mickey goes green, like for a Fastpass Return. So unless they are borrowing their relative‘s magic band, which is Finger print linked for park entry ..so ought not to work unless the guest is in the Park and has photo attached, am not sure how they are able to abuse the system. Hopefully they aren‘t... :-(
Old 15 Mar 21, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ILoveDaveLamb View Post
I haven‘t given it too much thought, but on using system previously, the qualifying guest taps in first with their magic band, and Mickey goes blue...the rest of the party then tap in and Mickey goes green, like for a Fastpass Return. So unless they are borrowing their relative‘s magic band, which is Finger print linked for park entry ..so ought not to work unless the guest is in the Park and has photo attached, am not sure how they are able to abuse the system. Hopefully they aren‘t... :-(
My thoughts are the same as yours, my daughter has the DAS pass, her photo is taken when it is set up at the beginning of the trip. Anyone who are linked can go and get a return time but the person with the DAS has to ride and enter first and then the rest of us can scan afterwards.

I would like to think that people who are on you tube and advertising it do have the DAS pass for a valid reason but have not shared that with everyone.

The DAS system was changed to make the wait times the same - to try to stop people abusing the system.

For us it is great and really does help, when fast passes are available in the past we have always booked our 3 and the DAS is used on anything else with a queue time that our DD would not manage. When we went in 2015 it was November/December and quite quiet (after thanksgiving) and the queue times were short enough that we did not use the DAS so much, however when we have been in August we have used it more.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 21, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mariesmith View Post

We usually have it, and nobody watching would ever know which person in our group qualified for it. It could also be that more than one person in the group. They aren't necessarily cheating the system.
the group had to go and get the DAS magic band and the man came to gate so they could get on and then when the family were through he told CM he wasnt going to ride,
Old 16 Mar 21, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I do use DAS with DD when we need to but try to utilise FP first, we would never use it to ride something she was not going to ride, but yes the abuse still continues, but not as advantageous as the old system though as you can only have one ride active at a time. It is invaluable to DD who has a few hisden disabilities. X
Old 16 Mar 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mariesmith View Post

We are the same. No one sees the hidden disability for which I have two but obviously just look like I’m trying it on. I didn’t even want to get the pass to start with and did the first full day 8 hours without. By the end I just had to or I would just make myself worse.

I do think that abusing the system blatantly is wrong but I don’t think Disney can challenge it. I did see a cast member questioning a mum of someone who had the pass once while I was waiting to talk to the cast members and I think it was something to do with siblings riding not quite sure though but the cast members said it wasn’t process and turned them away for that.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 766
Very Serious Dibber

We are going in 2022 with mY daughter and SIL for the first time. My SIL has had back and neck surgery and finds standing still and sitting for long periods very uncomfortable. We are thinking of getting him the pass that enables him to virtually queue so he can continue to walk around whilst waiting to ride. Would this mean that our whole party (five adults and one three year old) can virtually queue and ride with him or would it only apply to my SIL and one other?
Thank you - have never had to consider this before.

Proud DVC owner since 2007
I own at Animal Kingdom Villas and Bay Lake Tower
Tinkerbell 766 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Baltic
Getting to know the DIBB

I am in no way trying to say, that you should not go to the guest relation and ask for a DAS.
But you may don't want to hear that, but Disney usually considers that as a mobility/stamina problem and would advise to use a mobility device like a rollator or wheelchair.
Baltic is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List