Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 3 Apr 21, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Help please -baking time

I have a nice recipie for choc cake, but last time i cooked it in new oven it burnt slightly on outer edges before it cooked in middle@ 180 degrees for 20 mins, do i need to lower temperature for longer? They are 8inch sandwich tins? Any help appreciated! X
Old 3 Apr 21, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Are you cooking it on the fan setting? If so lower it to 160 fan.

What does the recipe say?

Edit:-

Checked a couple of recipes and looks like 160 fan or 180 regular.

janespatisserie/2018...hocolate-cake/

Do you have an oven thermometer so you can check that the oven's heating to the expected temperature? I become a bit obsessed with mine so if you're that way inclined don't get one

Edited at 04:11 PM.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 21, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Thanks i think i need to invest in a thermometer! Yes its a fan oven! Im still trying to adjust from my old oven which used to take a week to warm up!

I will try 160, recipie did say 180 but it was a handwritten recipie so didnt say whether it was fan oven.
Old 3 Apr 21, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Mobile

Try 160 fan then. Chances are that'll be the issue. Good luck 🙂
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 21, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

180 seems quite high even for a conventional oven.
The recipe I use is 165 conventional. I never use the fan for cakes

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 21, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I am going to try lower this time, not sure i can turn fan bit off ?
Old 4 Apr 21, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

generally, if a recipe calls for a temperature but doesn't specify fan, then lower the temperature by about 20%.

Vanillapod, Im going to try another type of heating rather than fan for cakes. Do you use bottom heating only?
Old 4 Apr 21, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ncmurray View Post
generally, if a recipe calls for a temperature but doesn't specify fan, then lower the temperature by about 20%.

Vanillapod, Im going to try another type of heating rather than fan for cakes. Do you use bottom heating only?
I use top and bottom heat but no fan. I’ve always found my cakes have a horrible top with the fan but that’s personal opinion

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I use top and bottom heat but no fan. I’ve always found my cakes have a horrible top with the fan but that’s personal opinion
Having seen your bakes I'm going to follow your lead. I'm very much a beginner.

Have you tried using cake strips. I made and used some last week to make a Victoria sponge. The cake flat but very pale (not sure if that's due to the strips or the fact that I used 2 deep tins) so I left it in the oven a bit longer to get some colour on it. I found it dry. The family said it wasn't but I don't trust them 😂
Old 4 Apr 21, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
This is spooky, but the very second that I looked at your post, the timer on my oven went off and my cake is baked!

Unfortunately, I forgot not to use the fan and try top and bottom heat

Hopefully it will turn out well