Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Apr 21, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
bouncybeth79
slightly serious Dibber

Vegas/Grand Canyon help needed

Hey all

We have 4 nights booked at Vegas at the end of our 3 week trip to USA.
Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get to the Grand Canyon? We wont have a car so will need to go via a tour provider - can anyone give me any recommendations of who to go with and would you book now or when you are over there?
Old 18 Apr 21, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We've been to the grand canyon 3 times, organised tours with Papillon and Maverick plus we have driven there and stayed overnight - highly recommended to see sunset/sunrise if your itinerary allows

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

I am so jealous, I think Vegas is my spiritual home .

We went with Papillon and did the sunset tour - it was spectacular and a highlight of our holiday - only topped by our wedding .

Edited to add, we booked and paid before we left as we are actually a bit scared of helicopters so we knew if it was paid we would do it.

Edited at 10:43 PM.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Firstly, there are different parts to the Grand Canyon. West Rim is the closest and this is where the helicopters from Vegas go and land. You can also get to it by road in about 2.5-3 hours and it has the sky walk. It is a spectacular view but it is not the one you will have seen in the movies, it's about a quarter of the size and a couple of hours is all that is needed there.

The South Rim is the one you will have seen and is either a flight away, or a 5-6 hour journey by road. You really need 5-6 hours minimum there and ideally see a sunset or sunrise.

You can get tours to either, but typically only get a couple of hours there. That's a lot of sitting on a bus for not enough time for the South rim, but people do it.

Edited at 10:50 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

We booked in the UK before travelling through Viator. Easy hotel pick-up and drop-off. Coach trip to South Rim (you will never get me in a helicopter). Fantastic day, 12hrs+, but our driver was so brilliant and helped the time pass. Stops enroute & lunch included.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
bouncybeth79
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by cheekydeeky View Post
I am so jealous, I think Vegas is my spiritual home .

We went with Papillon and did the sunset tour - it was spectacular and a highlight of our holiday - only topped by our wedding .

Edited to add, we booked and paid before we left as we are actually a bit scared of helicopters so we knew if it was paid we would do it.
Sunset tour sounds amazing!
Old 19 Apr 21, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’ve done a day trip from Vegas, we used Viator , there’s all sorts of tours. One of the group didn’t fancy helicopter so we flew up on a sightseeing plane , every seat was a window seat and then travelled to the Rim edge by jeep. (Ironically the jeep got a flat and to the horror of our helicopter hater they flew us back out , luckily once in the air she loved it)
The coach trip is really long (too long for me for a day trip). It’s well worth seeing , really spectacular , we are going back this year (hopefully) but are hiring a car and doing it as part of an Arizona trip , staying at the Canyon for two nights before heading for Vegas afterwards this time.

Edited at 07:57 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

I can't tell you who it was with as booked via ba, but as part of our honeymoon we did a plane trip overnight. So left lv in the afternoon, did sunset bus tour at south rim, overnight at gc in a wooden cabin, and then early start for a sunrise bus tour. Then free time till around lunch time (we arranged helicopter tour for this time ourselves). the airplane was small maybe, 15 seats, so a bit nerve-wracking but was a good way of getting sunrise/sunset if time limited so not wanting to drive/bus all the way out to gc from lv.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We used This viator/Grand-Canyon-...-Park/d815-ttd
cartoonp is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

We are doing the Maverick Wind Dancer trip.
We are doing this on Christmas Day with the champagne picnic lunch. This is a surprise for my hubby and it looks amazing.
Collection from the hotel and helicopter all the way there, lunch in the canyon and then helicopter all the way back.
I thought this would make a fab Christmas Day.

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List