Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 28 Apr 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Family cooking & family favourites?

Do you cook as a family?
If you cook as a whole family or you cook for your family, what is the ‘family favourite’ dish?

I am currently watching the big family cooking showdown, which is great but I must admit I am so envious of all these family traditions being passed down generations.
Growing up an evening meal consisted of fried spam, smash & tinned peas. Or, findus pancakes, smash & peas. Nasty things like that. Nothing prepared and cooked from scratch.
A roast was only ever served on Christmas day. My sister and I were never allowed in the kitchen as we was under her feet.
My husband grew up on home cooked meals, he is always reminiscing about the meals and cakes. Unfortunately his mum passed away 20 years ago.
I cook from scratch but we don’t have a family favourite. I really want to start involving the kids in the kitchen. I may start doing a Saturday afternoon cooking and baking session for us all ☺️
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Our family cook together favourite is chicken, ham and leek pie.

I chop the leeks and start them softening in the frying pan, add chopped up chicken , DH smells it cooking and asks if I need the spuds made into chips for the actifry and DD 18 chops the ham and likes crumbling in the stock cube. DD20, if home, will assemble a veggie protein equivalent and add some of the leeks. Then cheat time.. lay out a jus roll sheet of puff pastry, put filling on one half, fold it over and crimp. DD puts the egg wash on, DH seasons the chips. Easy meal.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Me and my mum cooked a lot together, lasagne, stew, curry’s, cakes, roasts, pasties and pastry’s, apple pie and crumble. We made Christmas cakes and mince pies, all mine when they were little helped cook and my dd used to make wonderful cakes on her own. Now they are not interested, my son coming back from Canada said he’ll cook me some meals when he returns. Dh never does but does do me a fry up about once every five years! We never all cook together
Old 28 Apr 21, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Chicken and stilton roulades, paella, chicken crusty bake (cheap and so tasty), chicken potatoes and tomatoes bake (Jamie Oliver), homemade pizza.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We eat together more often than not. Only me cooks though ( bone of contention !)
My mum was a very traditional Northern cook and everything was made from scratch. Mum made lovely pies and her rag puddings were amazing. My dad wouldn’t eat anything as sophisticated as pasta and rice ! Mum and I did occasionally enjoy a Vesta chow mein with crispy noodles !

We tend to stick to all the usual- pasta, curries, stews, cottage pie, casseroles. I love my slow cooker ! My homemade Nandos is always a hit- chicken, corn on the cob, grilled halloumi, spicy rice

Have you tried Gousto boxes ? We get them occasionally if we want to try something a bit different. Everything is measured out and the recipes really easy to follow.
If you want your children to help maybe look for a children’s cook book and let them choose meals. Not sure how old your children are, we used to use an Annabel Karmel recipe book but that is for quite young children.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 21, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We always cook and eat together, its so important to us.
I am from a big Irish family and DH is Sicilian so its always cook together and eat together.
Invariably its Italian food as hubby is a chef and the reason I can never lose two stone haha.
Pasta usually we eat , all kinds, typically dishes he grew up with and now passed onto our sons who also love cooking.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 21, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I have an unexpected night off from work tonight so as my husband is working til 10 I’ve sent my adult son to get a leg of lamb (husband won’t eat lamb ) for the two of us.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

My boys all cooked and baked with me as I did with my mother
They can cook 2 extremely well the other can but rarely does but he makes a great
Pot of soup or omelettes
Their kids cook with them and with me although we are still at the stage with some of them it’s things they can prepare safely on their own
Tonight it’s homemade pizza the bases are not the best circles but they had fun and scoffed the lot
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 21, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
When my parents were married I was fed great food as my dad is a good cook. when they divorced (I was 12) and I have to live with mum I had the sam culinary experience as you Floridatilly! My mum is the only person I have known to be able to burn fish fingers on the outside yet they are raw/frozen inside !

I must have inherited my dada cooking gene though (thankfully!) and I love to cook and bake. My DH gets involved if we BBQ and my 2 DS occasionally gets involved too. I had my DS17 cooking ribs with me the other week.

Probably the dish they all get involved in is when we make homemade pizza. Its great fun to do together. We have done homemade pasta as well and they loved taking part in that.

Meals where you ”pick and mix” are also quite interactive and easy to get them involved in the prep for, eg: Tacos, Wraps. Or an italian type board (salami, cheese, olives that sort of things). Build your own icecream sundae is also always a hit.

Other than that its probably me doing most of the cooking.