Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 15 May 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Is 250 points a good place to start?

Hi everyone
I've toyed with the idea of DVC before but we could meet make the maths work, but now with children starting school we know we'll be locked into school hols for the foreseeable and so having some more long term certainty over price appeals more. Plus we are less likely to now be able to take advantage of cheap offers and deals in term time, and who knows about free dining etc!

Anyway, I've just about landed on 250 points being what we'd need to get a 1 bed for a week to 10 days annually or longer every other year, having looked at the points ranges for AKL, OKW, SSR primarily. We'd be happy to do a few nights in a studio if there was availability, but would like a 1 bed, and know it's harder to get studios.

We'd also be happy to mix and match with a studio at a cheaper resort, or an off-site or cash stay to have a few more points for a higher point resort for a shorter time. I also think we'll start to add universal or other destinations into our Florida trips as the children get older.

We'd be travelling mostly the Feb or Oct half terms or the last weeks of August.

Does this feel about right? I've done lots of spreadsheets but the large variation in range of points and room types has me fluctuating from needing 150-350!

Thanks in advance!
Old 15 May 21, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by piglet100 View Post
Hi everyone
I've toyed with the idea of DVC before but we could meet make the maths work, but now with children starting school we know we'll be locked into school hols for the foreseeable and so having some more long term certainty over price appeals more. Plus we are less likely to now be able to take advantage of cheap offers and deals in term time, and who knows about free dining etc!

Anyway, I've just about landed on 250 points being what we'd need to get a 1 bed for a week to 10 days annually or longer every other year, having looked at the points ranges for AKL, OKW, SSR primarily. We'd be happy to do a few nights in a studio if there was availability, but would like a 1 bed, and know it's harder to get studios.

We'd also be happy to mix and match with a studio at a cheaper resort, or an off-site or cash stay to have a few more points for a higher point resort for a shorter time. I also think we'll start to add universal or other destinations into our Florida trips as the children get older.

We'd be travelling mostly the Feb or Oct half terms or the last weeks of August.

Does this feel about right? I've done lots of spreadsheets but the large variation in range of points and room types has me fluctuating from needing 150-350!

Thanks in advance!
Piglet- There is no hard and fast rule. I started at 160 and went to nearly 400 with add ons. So 250 seems a reasonable number. The 1 beds are great and of course usually give you plenty of choice at 7 months.

I’d maybe buy a 150ish and a 100 ish contract as smaller contracts sell quicker if you sell. They’ll cost slightly more and more closing though.
Old 15 May 21, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We have 173. We sometimes do studios. Sometimes 1 bed. Depending on how often we travel. I’d like more points but we make our points work hard and I wouldn’t want more dues to pay.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 21, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We only have 100 points so are one of those terrible owners that bought to stay in studios.

Having said that since 2010 we have done all of the following:

1. Treehouse at Saratoga
2. 2 bed at Bay Lake Tower
3. Grand Villa at Bay Lake (only 1 night)
4. Plus studios at Saratoga, Bay Lake, Animal Kingdom lodge and Hilton Head

The point... you can totally make 250 work 😁
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 21, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We started with 265 & stayed in 1 beds for 17/18 nights in May or August every other year when the kids were younger.

Well we actually started with 165, planning 12 nights 2 years out of every 3 in studios, but that only lasted 1 year, we added a further 100 points on after our first stay when we realised we wanted 1 beds.

Sometimes we’d fly on a Saturday, have the high point Saturday night offsite & stretch the points that way.

The flexibility is the brilliance of DVC, you make what you have work for you.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 12:40 PM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 21, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

I have 210 and stay in studios- with careful banking and borrowing I can manage 2-3 trips a year in a standard Studio at BWV. I have found my points give me the perfect due cost to amount of holiday days I need.

Everyone is different so do what you think works for you but remember more points = a bigger dues bill each year and that lands at the worst time as well - Jan
Old 15 May 21, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. The advice I had from my Guide back in 2003 was look at what Resort you want, how often per Year you want it, what Month you want it and then add 10%.

We bought in with 300 Points and at the time it seemed a lot. But then the add on bug bites you.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 06:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 21, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We started with 150 because that’s what we could afford and we made it work for us
Old 16 May 21, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
JaguarSkills
Proud to wear my Ears

We've bought 180 which we worked out would be close enough to get us 3 weeks, 3 out of every 4 years in a studio in SSR. We will up the points if needed and it doesn't work out but was a good starting point for us.
JaguarSkills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

We had 160 at Kidani (but sold in 2013). This gave us 2 weeks in September usually in a standard view studio, or a split stay occasionally with an upgrade for a couple nights. This was perfect for us (as a couple). I suspect 250 is a very good start, probably near what we'd want if we bought again now.