Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 18 May 21, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Julie
Proud to wear my Ears

Negative PCR Tests

I have booked a cruise with Royal Caribbean for August. They're asking for a negative PCR test result from the unvaccinated under 18's.

I've been looking at how to obtain a PCR Covid test in my area and I'm really surprised at some providers that say you collect the test kit, do the test at home, seal it and return it to the pharmacy for them to send off to the lab.

How can this be acceptable? Nobody is witnessing the person doing the test. There's no proof that the sample provided is the actual sample from the person named on the test. I spoke to someone at the pharmacy and raised this point. I'm wondering if these type of send away tests might not be seen as valid by some cruise companies/ airlines.

Also, the cruiseline states that the test should not be taken less than 72 hours before the sailing time. So there are far fewer testing centres available that can return results in a shorter time frame. One clinic in my area is asking for £150 with 12 hours' result, or £200 with 3 hours' result.

I just wanted to let people know that if you are hoping to travel, getting a PCR test is looking to be quite tricky!
Disney Julie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
lollina
Excited about Disney

If it states the test shouldn't be taken less than 72 hours before the cruise then surely it could be more than 72 hours before, meaning you wouldn't have to pay for the quicker turnaround test?
Old 18 May 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Julie View Post
I have booked a cruise with Royal Caribbean for August. They're asking for a negative PCR test result from the unvaccinated under 18's.

I've been looking at how to obtain a PCR Covid test in my area and I'm really surprised at some providers that say you collect the test kit, do the test at home, seal it and return it to the pharmacy for them to send off to the lab.

How can this be acceptable? Nobody is witnessing the person doing the test. There's no proof that the sample provided is the actual sample from the person named on the test. I spoke to someone at the pharmacy and raised this point. I'm wondering if these type of send away tests might not be seen as valid by some cruise companies/ airlines.

I just wanted to let people know that if you are hoping to travel, getting a PCR test is looking to be quite tricky!
Why would you get someone else to do your test - you wouldn’t know if they would test positive?
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
Why would you get someone else to do your test - you wouldn’t know if they would test positive?
I’m guessing it would be if someone thought they might test positive (having been in contact with someone / having symptoms etc) and were desperate for the chance to spread their covid around a cruise ship, they might ask someone without symptoms etc to take the test for them, in the hope it would come back negative.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Or maybe (thinking less cynically now) someone might be worried about their child having to take a PCR, so they take it for them.

Having said that, I thought you had to film yourself taking it if doing so remotely, and presumably they’d ask you to zoom in on a code or something to prove it’s the same test that you’re sending off. It all seems so complicated, however it’s done.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025

Edited at 11:20 PM.
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 21, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

DCL are backing it up with at lateral flow test at port.

Aren’t most PCR tests done at home now anyway?

Don’t see the problem myself, there’s no way there will be enough facilities to provide this service in person once travel gets going.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 21, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Most PCR tests are now done at home but as others mentioned quite a few require either you to have a virtual appointment to verify results or to to film the test taking. If you want to commit fraud you could yes quite easily but it would be fraud and you would be probably fined if you were caught doing it. Plus the lateral flow at the port should ensure that those people who might consider this option wouldn't.
Old 19 May 21, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Julie
Proud to wear my Ears

I've seen, what I consider to be the right approach- where clinics see your passport as photo ID, then witness you taking the test. The sample is then processed at a lab. But I didn't realise that also, you can just get a testing kit and do it at home, then the pharmacy posts it to the lab. I think this could be open to abuse. It also makes me question why an expensive PCR test would be needed, with people paying over £100 , when at the port, a lateral flow test, in front of an official is carried out anyway.
The problem with all methods of PCR tests is the time taken to process the results. At the moment Royal Caribbean is saying test should be taken no earlier than 72 hours before sailaway time. For the cheaper send away lab tests, they're quoting 36 hours for your result. But they also say if the test sample is void, they will return your money as the result would be inconclusive. By the time you find out the test is void, there's not much time to get another one.
Disney Julie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List