Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 22 May 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Iceland to win!
Old 22 May 21, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Iceland to win!
I hope so too. Gutted for them not being able to appear in person. I loved last year's song and this year's is really good.
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 05:45 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
I hope so too. Gutted for them not being able to appear in person. I loved last year's song and this year's is really good.
It’s so different I love it! He has such a good voice too
Old 22 May 21, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Sorry for the delay, family crisis happening at the moment. But in the nick of time, here's the review of Semi-final 2:

And it’s back again to the hastily-decorated BBC studio to say hello to Scott, Sara and Chelcee, who I apparently mis-spelled last time. I still have no idea who she is though, but tonight she is wearing double denim – or should that be multiple denim, as it’s a patched-together trousers and jacket made from many pairs of recycled jeans. Is this a subliminal plug for the Great British Sewing Bee and its recent recycling week?

The introductory act is a singer who’s decided to dress as Morticia Adams, singing a doomy song with lots of folky twiddling. She’s not the interesting part, however. That accolade goes to the ‘award-winning breakdancer’ whose moves are so fast that it’s a while we spot that he has a disability. According to the official blog he has a shorter right arm with no elbow joint, and a total of 5 fingers, 2 on the right and 3 on the left. He is also missing his right hip, has a shorter right leg and a prosthetic foot. It’s to the credit of the show that no mention of this is made at all, and the focus is rightly on his amazing moves. I could have wished for a happier song, but no complaints on the movement front.

And hello again, hosts in height order! Still don’t know why we need four of you though.

As previously, I will only post recaps of the 6 acts which didn’t qualify for the final. I will save describing the other 10 for Saturday night.

We can vote tonight, by phone or with the snazzy new app, which also allows you to ‘cheer’ for the act by sending hearts. And so we begin with …

San Marino – qualified.

Estonia – he’s a star of the stage, apparently recently playing Danny in Grease. He should have stuck with that hairdo, as the current one is a bit messy. During the performance, the back projections show some lightning strikes – maybe greased lightning? The song is a plodding and forgettable mid-tempo number. Next please.

Czech Republic – this guy is bringing the boy-bling in a yellow sparkly jacket with red roses on it. The song is called Omaga, which is nothing to do with people in red hats, but rather a shortening of ‘Oh my God’. If he has indeed been addressing a deity, his prayers for a decent melody and a passable voice seem to have gone unanswered. The amateurish choreography and minimal production values make the whole thing look like the Prague Youth Club’s annual concert.

It’s time for a quick break so Edsilia, in her vibrant green outfit, can plug the Eurovision app, and Nickkie, dressed in some serious bling, can introduce the next country, which is…

Greece – qualified.

Austria – this is a dark song in every sense. The singer, a guy in a black suit with seriously sparkly edges, delivers a dramatic and bitter ballad called ‘Amen’. Both of us at home decide it sounds like something Freddie Mercury would have sounded amazing belting out, or alternatively something Muse might like to cover. It’s definitely a grower – which in Eurovision terms means it’s sadly doomed.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Poland – the singer is a blond guy with sunglasses and black fingerless gloves. He reminds me of the cartoon character Johnny Bravo and is similarly over-confident. He’s promising ‘the ride of your life’ but despite the cycle lamps held by his backing singers, it feels more like we’re stuck on the hard shoulder waiting for a tow.

Ad break, so back to the BBC studio where Chelcee introduces an item on the UK’s entry, James Newman. We see his vocal coach and choreographer, and also his creative director – so if you have any comments on the staging on Saturday, you will know where to send them. Then back to the arena for some more filler with Edsilia and Jan before we see…

Moldova – qualified. Iceland and Serbia also qualify. I should mention that Iceland can’t perform live due to one of their members having tested positive, so instead we see footage from the second rehearsal.

Georgia – beardy bloke, doomy ballad, no discernible tune and a voice that has us rushing to put the kettle on.

Albania and Portugal both qualify.

Another ad break, so Chantal introduces us to past winner Helena from Greece, filmed on the rooftop at a very unflattering angle. That’s taking social distancing a bit far, I think. Bring this woman a thermal blanket! And please tell me they’re going to let her come back indoors before Saturday?

Then Edsilia and Nikkie introduce…

Bulgaria – qualified.

Finland – qualified.

Latvia – one of several contestants this evening who’ve seemingly put Beyonce, Lady Gaga and Kylie in a blender and seen what comes out. Unfortunately the vital ingredient she’s lacking is the ability to sing in tune. The emerald green dress and Cleopatra collar can’t disguise the fact that this number is truly dire.

Chantal and Jan then introduce…

Switzerland – qualified.

Denmark – please tell me this is a spoof. We’re transported to the 80s for a cheese-tastic disco entry. One guy has a grey velvet jacket over a white polo-neck, and the other has a vibrant purple jacket over a string vest – yes, really. As for the song, let’s just say we’re not quite in ‘Ja Ja Ding Dong’ territory but it’s not far off. Half way through, I decide they are completely sending themselves up, and I surrender to the cheese.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
And that’s the last song. While the voting system is introduced we have some commentary from our BBC hosts, and this is as good a time as any for me to say that Sara Cox should have a permanent spot on the team. Her dry humour has really given me some much-needed giggles tonight.

After a recap, we go to the interval act – ‘Close Encounters of a Special Kind’ which doesn’t sound at all like one of those dodgy videos you find on certain channels, does it? Chantal tells us that it’s described as ‘two young men in a story about resilience and opening up to each other’. Unfortunately I thought she said ‘Brazilians’ so I’m rather confused by the lack of samba costumes for a minute or two. Instead we get a piece based on Albinoni’s Adagio, a topless guy in a twirling silver skirt, and a boy on a BMX stunt bike. They’re surrounded by running dancers in black tops and red trousers. As usual with interval acts, this takes pretentiousness to new heights, and is camp even by Eurovision standards, but it’s still impressive. Although the dancer does remind me of Rylan, so perhaps he’s not actually off sick but moonlighting as a topless dancer. And the lad on the bike is a dead ringer for Joe Lycett.

In case you haven’t heard enough of this year’s acts, we now have a plug for the official DVD and CD, and a reminder of past editions as we see various people dancing to past songs. I should warn you that this feature contains scenes of Jedward. Then Jan and Chantal close the voting, and it’s time for another recap before going back to the BBC studio for a chat with ‘Eurovision expert’ Fernand Frimpong Jr (nope, me neither). Then a rather pointless feature with soundbites from past winners, which largely serves to remind us how good some of them were and what a long time ago they happened. And also reminds me that I can still hum them, unlike last year’s winner. Duncan Laurence seems like a really nice guy, and I’m sorry to hear he has tested positive and won’t be performing live on Saturday – that must be a real kick in the teeth for him. But I still don’t rate the song – sorry Duncan.

Next a quick interview with the UK’s James Newman, whose long leather jacket will doubtless be flying off the shelves after Saturday. He sounds slightly hoarse which is worrying – save your voice for Saturday, James!

Nikkie introduces us to the first of the remaining three automatic qualifiers, France. Then Edsilia interviews James Newman, who explains the song’s title ‘Embers’ to the international audience before a quick clip. And then Nikkie talks to the Spanish entry before a quick promo for Saturday (as if anyone watching this doesn’t know Saturday is happening?)

As on Tuesday, big boss Martin Osterdahl confirms that everything is in order and ‘we’re good to go’. Expect T-shirts with that phrase to start appearing soon. And then the qualifiers are announced and it’s time to pack the snacks away until Saturday’s marathon. See you then!
Old 22 May 21, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

I thought the UK entry James was dire, the outfit he had one-not good, the staging- what?! Switzerland for the win for us definitely. DD who is a francophile has been on Instagram today singing the swiss entry - she actually prefers this to France this year- in the past she was big fans of (and still is) of Bilal and Madame Monsieur. I didntbwatch semi 1 DD predicted 8/10 of the 2nd semi final. I actually quite liked Denmark but DdD tells me often I am stuck in the 80s, did think that Latvia would qualify- didn't like Bulgaria. Cant wait for 20 mins to watch 😁😁
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
TinksandFlynn
Excited about Disney

Love Eurovision! We have our homemade flags ready; score sheet and food.
Dd likes the German entry and really loves the Iceland group
TinksandFlynn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 21, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
THE FINAL! Review starts here:

Let’s face it, even if you didn’t watch you probably know the result by know, including the UK’s placing. But let’s jump into our time machine and go back to 8pm last night, when hopes were high and the arena was full of 3500 people just hoping for a night out. And what a night it was.

We get straight down to it, with a set that looks like some kind of giant kitchen appliance that turns out Eurovision contestants while showing their country’s flag. The Eurovision dancers are sporting futuristic versions of those coloured sashes you used to wear at school to show which rounders team you were on. And the hosts have glammed up for the occasion, particularly Nikkie, who has evidently decided to come as her favourite Quality Street (the big purple one, since you ask). And with minimal fuss we’re into the first number, which is…

Cyprus – the first of tonight’s Gaga/Beyonce/Ariana ripoffs, this time stealing a Gaga song outright. There will be a European rhinestone shortage after tonight, for sure. There’s a catchy chorus of ‘I gave my heart to El Diablo’ (wasn’t he a Mexican wrestler?) but the rest of the song is messy.

Albania – various clouds of coloured gas attempt to enliven this would-be Bond theme. Silvery bling and an unexpected belly-dance riff can’t save it.

Israel – the sort of thing Jess Glynne and Clean Bandit like to do, with added pretzel hairdo. She sings the highest note ever sung in Eurovision, apparently a B6. Isn’t that a plane?

Belgium – ‘mean and moody’ could describe the song and the performers; for Buffy fans - this belongs in The Bronze. Not my style, but you have to give them props for the line ‘Don’t you ever dare to wear my Johnny Cash t-shirt’.

Russia – she begins the number in a huge model of a traditional dress. What’s Russian for ‘exterminate’? Then she emerges in a red jumpsuit, still with an enormous gold bow in her hair. Think Rosie the Riveter going to a wedding. The song ‘Russian Women’ apparently challenges stereotypes and is rather controversial in her home country. It’s a bit lost on us, apart from the folky bit with amazing harmonies.

Malta – she’s called Destiny, she’s 18 and she won Junior Eurovision. Another ‘blingy bumpy song’ but her strong soul voice and obvious charisma mean she rises above the rest, with a self-empowerment message that recalls Netta’s ‘Toy’ a few years back (but without the waving cats this time). We like her.

Portugal – classy stuff from a band that look like they’re waiting for Kid Creole to turn up, but sound like a late Beatles song. A string-laden ballad full of dreamy chord changes is fronted by a guy with an impressive white-soul voice. Another favourite of ours.

Serbia – yawn, more blingy girls, this time three of them in moth-eaten black outfits. There’s a Charlie’s Angels vibe to these three, but the song is lost behind the frantic hairography.

Time for a break. Nikkie introduces a film of some Dutch drag queens dancing to Eurovision hits (no, I don’t know why either) and we see the Junior Eurovision winner. At least this year she hasn’t had to travel to the venue just to say hello. I really do wish they would let them sing! Then a few more soundbites from past winners, which seems to be all the rage this year.

UK – bless him, James seems a really nice guy and he’s written a decent song. His voice sounds underpowered though, and I wish we had sent a singer with a killer voice and more stage presence. The two giant trumpets aren’t enough to make this stick in people’s memories. Its theme of ‘lighting up the room’ from the embers of last year’s abandoned contest goes down well in the hall, though.

Greece – she’s wearing a purple catsuit with bits cut out of it – evidently recycling again. The song is a forgettable 80s number and the ‘invisible man’ green screen effects are amateurish.

Edsilia and Nikkie give us a bit of pointless filler before introducing…

Switzerland – a young lad who is evidently the Swiss answer to Kurt Hummel. He moves like a dancer and has an impressive falsetto. The minimalist staging puts his voice front and centre, and his understated ballad – sung in French for a change – goes down well in the hall.

Iceland – such a shame they weren’t able to perform live as one member tested positive for covid earlier in the week, so they are watching from their hotel room tonight. Instead we see footage from the second rehearsal. Last year’s entry ‘Think About Things’ was a maddeningly catchy breakout hit about the singer’s baby daughter. This year he’s written a similarly disco-themed number about his wife. What’s next, the family dog? Seriously though, these guys are fun. They’re like a geeky version of the von Trapp family throwing a kitchen disco. They even manage to bring their hand-held keyboards into a circle surrounding them, but this number is the antithesis of the big spectacular staging seen elsewhere – it’s deliberately low-key and low tech, and none the worse for that.
Old 23 May 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Spain – ooh look, a moon on stage. No, not that kind, although this guy does look like he belongs in a production of Grease. Standard boy band ballad which makes no impression at all.

Moldova – a Marilyn clone in a silver showgirl outfit, backed by men in suits and sunglasses threatening to do ‘Gangnam Style’ at any moment. We’ve had the highest note at Eurovision and now we have the longest. Shame it wasn’t a well-sung one.

Germany – think Aqua with the quirkiness dialled up to 11. A cheery guy with a ukulele and a dancer wearing what looks like an x-rated prop but turns out to be a giant hand giving a peace sign. We spend the whole number hoping she turns around and inadvertently shocks the British viewers, but she’s obviously been warned and doesn’t. The jolly, jaunty song sounds like something from a kids’ show and is called ‘I Don’t Feel Hate’. After this, many will, including the next act. I end up loving it despite everything. Maybe it’s affection for a fellow ukulele enthusiast.

Finland – these guys certainly do feel hate. The first heavy rock of the evening and a complete contrast to the previous number. The song talks about ‘the dark side’ and you can imagine it featuring heavily on Kylo Ren’s playlist. The lyrics include ‘put your middle fingers up’ but apparently the organisers wouldn’t let them actually do that. Rather galling after the previous entry’s ‘v-sign’ costume. What is it with fingers tonight?

Edsilia pops upstairs and knocks on a couple of doors in order to chat with some of the commentators from various countries, and then Chantal and Jan fill in time for a bit until…

Belgium – a young girl with a Billie Eilish-influenced ballad called ‘Growing Up is Getting Old’. It’s apparently a tribute to her father who has motor neurone disease. Commendable, but I’m not a fan of whispery vocals, and at this point in the evening it’s a bit of a downer.

Lithuania – the IT department annual disco, featuring a James Corden lookalike and a lady who dances like your auntie at a wedding after too much prosecco. I think their dance style is deliberate. At least I hope it is. And in keeping with the ‘finger’ theme, the lead singer has a tricky little ‘finger dance’ where they make an E and a V (for Eurovision, apparently). Go on, give it a go. As for the song – oh, there was a song? I missed it.

Ukraine – true Eurovision, splendidly bonkers. It features traditional throat singing, ethnic twiddles, an outfit that (as Graham remarks) looks like the remains of Orville, and dancers waving Tron-style light discs in front of bare white trees. All about spring or something, apparently, but who cares? Passionate, crazy and utterly unique.

France – classic example of France doing what they do best. Pure Piaf, from a lady who seems to have forgotten to put a blouse over her basque. She delivers an impassioned ballad called ‘Voila’ with minimal special effects and a suitably intense performance. A big favourite with us.

Azerbaijan – yet again Ariana meets Beyonce, without the singing power of either. Ethnic twiddles and a strident refrain of ‘Mata Hari’, but much less memorable than the previous Eurovision song of that name.

Norway – imagine ‘Good Omens the Musical’ if it was written by Boyzone. The lead singer is dressed as a cross between an angel and Stacee Jax from ‘Rock of Ages’. It’s a standard boyband song complete with cheesy key change, but he’s engaging and the staging is fun.

Netherlands – not sure about his blue and black trousers, and why is he singing ‘you don’t like broccoli’? It’s a Labi Siffre-style anthem that will land well with many viewers, and he has a decent voice, but it’s all a bit worthy.

Italy – obviously big fans of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. The song is called ‘Zitti e Buoni’ which I thought was a pasta dish but apparently means ‘Sit down and shut up’. Ah, irony. They are very loud and very strident. Not really my cup of espresso, but obviously great in their style, and it’s nice to see some more rock in the contest.

Sweden – he has a decent enough voice and the song is upbeat, but I find myself singing ‘You’re goin’ down, I’m yellin’ timber’ over the chorus. Moving on…

San Marino – the singer starts off behind a huge gold headdress. A typical Euro-banger with added US flavour, courtesy of rapper Flo Rida, who looks bemused by the whole thing. The song is called Adrenalina, which would be a great name for a Drag Race contestant.