Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Apr 24, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Bevawelly
Excited about Disney

Any recruiters on here?

Hello all,

I have just been made redundant, and need to find another job asap.

I am a bit out of the loop in terms of how the job market is at the moment so I am hoping for some advice from any recruiters on here please.

I have been applying for jobs on Linked In, but every role I see that is suitable for me has over 100 applicants within hours of it going live, so I am getting nowhere fast and wonder also if my age (51) will be working against me.

I have also been looking on Reed, most of the other big jobs boards (Total Jobs, CV Library) seem to have all of the Reed jobs on them as well so lots of duplicates from what I can see.

I have signed up with a few local recruitment companies near me, but they don't have a large volume of jobs and hardly any that match my skillset and are near enough to me.

I'm looking for work along the lines of accounts/payroll/office manager/PA, either local to me in Surrey, or hybrid in London as I would only be willing to commute to London 1 day a week (2 days max).

I would really appreciate any advice, I have a solid CV and have only been unemployed for 8 days since my early twenties.
Bevawelly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 24, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I would look to similar roles in the NHS. .. and there are many.

Certainly our Hospital has many vacancies advertised on indeed and of many disparate types/ skill sets.

The wage (provided you are prepared to work weekends and other unsociable hours) is good, as is Annual leave, Sick pay, Job Security and most of all… Pensions.

I only went into the NHS for a month or two whilst I sought another investigative contract.. and 11 years later, have no regrets at all.

Our trust advertises on indeed.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 24, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

I would also recommend the NHS, for all the reasons listed above - lots of jobs going: the link below is filtered to Band 4 but have a play around with it

jobs.nhs.uk/candidate/se..._4&language=en
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 24, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bevawelly
Excited about Disney

I have looked at NHS jobs - someone suggested it and I thought it was a great idea.

However, the only jobs I saw that did not require prior experience in a medical environment and/or skills I do not have would have meant taking a £12k pay drop which I am not in a position to do.

I would be willing to take a drop in salary - but I need to at least cover my outgoings...

Thank you for the thought though both of you
Bevawelly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 24, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bevawelly View Post
I have looked at NHS jobs - someone suggested it and I thought it was a great idea.

However, the only jobs I saw that did not require prior experience in a medical environment and/or skills I do not have would have meant taking a £12k pay drop which I am not in a position to do.

I would be willing to take a drop in salary - but I need to at least cover my outgoings...

If you are looking for payroll / accounts roles I’d be surprised if you genuinely need experience in a medical environment.

Apply anyway and explain why your skills are transferable.

Also, look at civil service jobs. You might find some on indeed or linked in but probably not all.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 24, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bevawelly View Post

Sorry about your situation it must be very hard at the moment BUT I would suggest you don't simply say that job doesn't pay enough.

Surely, any income is better than none so perhaps apply for a lessor job that you can move on from if something better comes up but at least you will have an income to pay bills, mortgage and food.

Sometimes these times are a good time to restructure and restart. Just a thought!
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 24, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bevawelly
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
If you are looking for payroll / accounts roles I’d be surprised if you genuinely need experience in a medical environment.

Apply anyway and explain why your skills are transferable.

Also, look at civil service jobs. You might find some on indeed or linked in but probably not all.
I was just looking for any role at all, there weren't any payroll/accounts type roles though.

I'll look at Civil Service jobs as well, thank you.
Old 21 Apr 24, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Bevawelly
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Sorry about your situation it must be very hard at the moment BUT I would suggest you don't simply say that job doesn't pay enough.

Surely, any income is better than none so perhaps apply for a lessor job that you can move on from if something better comes up but at least you will have an income to pay bills, mortgage and food.

Sometimes these times are a good time to restructure and restart. Just a thought!
Thank you - I do appreciate your thoughts.
Old 21 Apr 24, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Some large organisations don’t use agencies or even sites like Indeed etc - don’t forget to check NHS as above, Police, councils and Education facilities such as universities - I am PA Admin in a uni and work from home 2 days per week.
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 24, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Take a look on charityjob.co.uk as there are some great jobs on there.

I would also recommend, if you do see a job on Indeed / LinkedIn / Reed etc check if it is also advertised on the company website and if there is another way to apply, and then also call up and see if you can speak to someone to find out more about the role. If you make a good impression on the call they will then be looking out for your application coming through.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List