Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Nov 19, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Diz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Bringing puppy home - updated with photos

On Tuesday we collect our 8 week old Labrador puppy and I am not sure what to get to bring him home in the car. We have about a 50 minute journey.

I have a crate and will be crate training at home m. Should I take that? Although it is a bit big for the car

Have been looking at dog seats/seat belts and a whole array of stuff you can buy

Want to make the journey as stress free as possible for him

Any advice gratefully received

Edited at 09:12 AM.
Diz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Mobile

Personally I would just go with another person holding him wrapped in a blanket. He will be quite scared and nervous and want to be secure with you rather than rattling around a cage.
For when he’s bigger we use a proper dog harness belt.

Such exciting times! There is a thread recently about new dogs and coping strategies so check it out for other ideas x
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Same as above. I would just wrap him up in a blanket that smells of his mum
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dreamadream View Post
Personally I would just go with another person holding him wrapped in a blanket. He will be quite scared and nervous and want to be secure with you rather than rattling around a cage.
For when he’s bigger we use a proper dog harness belt.

Such exciting times! There is a thread recently about new dogs and coping strategies so check it out for other ideas x
This is what we have done with both our dogs.
Op, hope everything goes ok, I hope you post some pictures.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Diz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks all DH will be coming to pick up puppy so blanket and on his lap sounds like the way to go. After a few days I had thought I would take him out with me in the car doing school drop off to get him used to noises etc. Any recommendations on what to use then?

Will definitely post some photos!
Diz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post

I would definitely not only wrap a puppy in a blanket, he needs to be secured in case of an accident and you could invalidate your insurance.

I have brought my puppies home in crates but they were much smaller pups than your lab. I would therefore get some kind of a seat restraint, our dogs have a combined cushion / harness thing now, I think that would work with a lab pup and somebody could sit beside him to keep him company.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
I have just got a puppy and had a 2-3 hour drive for her. I bought a soft sided crate to bring her home in. She now uses it to sleep in and for car journeys.
Get some Vet bed and hopefully the breeder will give you something that smells of the mother.

Good luck with your puppy lab's are a great breed.
Old 22 Nov 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Don’t forget puppy pads just in case!
Old 22 Nov 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Diz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I would definitely not only wrap a puppy in a blanket, he needs to be secured in case of an accident and you could invalidate your insurance.

I have brought my puppies home in crates but they were much smaller pups than your lab. I would therefore get some kind of a seat restraint, our dogs have a combined cushion / harness thing now, I think that would work with a lab pup and somebody could sit beside him to keep him company.
Thank you so much off to pet shop today so will have a look at what they have. Looked on amazon but I really want to see anything I get.
Old 22 Nov 19, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

When we got our border cross terrier a good few years ago I had him on my lap whilst OH drove home but he was tiny and scared, and pee'd so Definately have puppy pad on your lap too. Our lurcher when we got him last year he was a lot bigger and we had a longish journey with him, he was a rescue so was grateful for full on human contact but he laid beside me and I fussed him plenty and had a lead on him which we secured with seat belt, we have RAC approved dog harnesses for them now in car we got from Halford that were a good price and do the job
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List