Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jan 16, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post

1 week Mini Van Hire & Florida Keys Tolls

Hi

We are going to Florida in April, 4 adults and 1 child + cases, so I am planning to rent a mini van (we have had Town & Country in the past and found it a good size, even though it feels like you are driving a big sail .

We only need the car a week as we are joining a cruise from Fort Lauderdale, so picking up at Miami Airport where we arrive and going to drop off in Fort Lauderdale Airport 7 days later where the cruise departs.

I have priced through US Car hire and they have come back with a price of £220 for 7 days for a 7 seater minivan with Alamo Silver class, last year we did 21 days for £550 with Alamo on the same class, so I am guessing the longer you hire, the cheaper it gets.

Can anyone recommend cheaper/discounts before i book?

Also, we are planning to drive the Keys from Miami to Key West for a few days, staying over en-route, i prefer to pay the tolls by cash as I go, usually its just around Orlando/MCO and trips to the gulf coast, but most of the guides I have read say you have to use the sunpass as the tolls are not manned on the Keys. I have had a few incidents where I have been charged in the past on my credit card by the hire companies as the tolls were not manned as I had to drive through at night, but the hire companies put a hefty admin fee on toll charges, has anyone got any recommendation on using the tolls for the keys/return to Miami?

Thanks for any Advice.

Edited at 01:03 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 16, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Try Auto Europe and Alamo Brits.

I've paid £261 for 11-days, 7-seater with Alamo (using Auto Europe) in summer holidays.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 16, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
Try Auto Europe and Alamo Brits.

I've paid £261 for 11-days, 7-seater with Alamo (using Auto Europe) in summer holidays.

Thanks, Alamo Brits with 10% off and pay now looks the best, comes down to £177, so £43 cheaper, so thanks allot, would rather deal with Alamo.

Now I just gotta work out the tolls on the Keys.
Old 8 Jan 16, 01:05 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

There's a difference between unmanned tolls and cashless ones. The unmanned ones can be paid in cash but you need to have the right change/overpay, but a sunpass (others are available) is needed for the cashless. If you're only going to be on cashless bits a couple of times, it might work out cheaper to pay the car-hire fees in arrears, rather than hiring the pass for the duration, but you need to work out which portions of the journey are cashless, and what the charges are from your car-hire place.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 16, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Read this for info on Alamo toll pass scheme.
We use it ever trip. The current prices are in the paragraph above the table. The info on the table is correct apart from the prices being out of date.

You don't hire a pass with Alamo it is just a daily charge when used, no transponder, just drive through the sunpass/express pass lane, it's on number plate recognition.
Hope this helps

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Car-...mes-p-517.html

Edited at 01:20 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 16, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Read this for info on Alamo toll pass scheme.
We use it ever trip. The current prices are in the paragraph above the table. The info on the table is correct apart from the prices being out of date.

You don't hire a pass with Alamo it is just a daily charge when used, no transponder, just drive through the sunpass/express pass lane, it's on number plate recognition.
Hope this helps

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Car-...mes-p-517.html

Thanks PPM, sounds good, I think the daily rate is now $3.95 + toll charges, but overall the price sounds fair, driving through the tolls always causing a panic looking for the correct change, so driving through the sunpass/express lane will be much easier.

I was just concerned on the costs, I have seen some posts stating Dollar can charge around $75 fee's !
Old 8 Jan 16, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ecnirp98 View Post
Thanks PPM, sounds good, I think the daily rate is now $3.95 + toll charges, but overall the price sounds fair, driving through the tolls always causing a panic looking for the correct change, so driving through the sunpass/express lane will be much easier.

I was just concerned on the costs, I have seen some posts stating Dollar can charge around $75 fee's !
Remember it's only $3.95 per day that you go trough a toll. If you don't go through a toll on a rental day then there is no charge,
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 16, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread