Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Aug 18, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Eden
Very Serious Dibber

Travel Up - New Virgin Classes

Has anyone booked with Travel Up for a Virgin flight since the new economy classes have been introduced?
Travel Up quote hand baggage only, so I assume this is Economy light, however it also says add baggage ‘upgrade’ for +£59.59 total (for 5 passengers)
So I am unsure if this is ‘upgrading’ to economy classic meaning we can also choose our seat, or if it is still economy light, just adding a checked bag
However to add to the confusion, adding a checked bag to an economy light seat is £45, (so £225 for five) but Travel Up are asking £59.59 for five
Also the ‘baggage upgrade’ price is different for different flights
2019 - Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
2024 - Clearwater/Orlando/Cheerleading Competition!

Edited at 11:32 AM.
Eden is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Can you ring them to clarify ?

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Are they *much* cheaper than Virgin direct?

I used Travel Up and they were fine, but they stung us for amendment fees we wouldn't have had to pay if we'd give direct.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

They are a nightmare to deal with , we have had a ridiculous time with them over virgin flights and baggage so I would make sure that if you book with them it says what class you are booking and what’s included, don’t take their word for it , I booked with them a few months back and it said one piece checked luggage so I thought it must be classic but when I logged into Virgin it was light, to baggage no seat, I and a few others on here had a nightmare to get it fixed and it was Virgin that sorted it as a goodwill gesture , travelup were and are hopeless!
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mexico07 View Post
They are a nightmare to deal with , we have had a ridiculous time with them over virgin flights and baggage so I would make sure that if you book with them it says what class you are booking and what’s included, don’t take their word for it , I booked with them a few months back and it said one piece checked luggage so I thought it must be classic but when I logged into Virgin it was light, to baggage no seat, I and a few others on here had a nightmare to get it fixed and it was Virgin that sorted it as a goodwill gesture , travelup were and are hopeless!
I have to say whilst I am in favour of being able to book these tickets as we have very little luggage but do like to book a seat it makes it a nightmare using comparison sites as they all come up with these types of tickets and it is very confusing to see what you are actually buying.

The other problem you have not booking via the airline is upgrading is a nightmare, but I guess it goes with the golden rule, “you can pay a little and expect to get a lot”

I have booked our flights for this year in this way saved about £400 but they cancelled the flights and I had to call them to rebook and we can not upgrade to business without having to cancel this ticket. For me it’s probably still worth it but you need to be careful.

Edited at 07:35 AM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

[QUOTE=Sew109;13435016]I have to say whilst I am in favour of being able to book these tickets as we have very little luggage but do like to book a seat it makes it a nightmare using comparison sites as they all come up with these types of tickets and it is very confusing to see what you are actually buying.

The other problem you have not booking via the airline is upgrading is a nightmare, but I guess it goes with the golden rule, “you can pay a little and expect to get a lot”

I have booked our flights for this year in this way saved about £400 but they cancelled the flights and I had to call them to rebook and we can not upgrade to business without having to cancel this ticket. For me it’s probably still worth it but you need to be careful

Yes but our issue was that it said it included checked baggage , the eticket said this also but virgin said no it was economy light, at the time the price with travelup was a good one but when we were then having to pay for checked baggage and reserve seats which they also told us we had it was making it way more expensive than had I booked classic direct with virgin ! And travel up lied to me repeatedly this is why I would always steer people away from them , we have got it sorted , baggage has been added but not by them and we have had to pay to reserve our seats , in the end up definately not a bargain and a very stressful month to get it sorted and only managed that through the help of fellow dibbers xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Brum26
Very Serious Dibber

I have been having this same issue with TravelUp over the last couple of days and have now decided against booking with them because they don't seem to have a clue what they are talking about.

I emailed to try and get in writing what was actually includes as like somebody else said they were quoting £63.00 for luggage for 5 of us. I got an email back saying that I would have to call the office.

I called them yesterday and the guy on the phone had no idea what was included and what wasn't included and then proceeded to give me an entirely different price for both the flights and the luggage and told me that these were the prices he was getting from the travelup website. I was on the travelup website while I was on the phone to him and the price difference was over £1000.

I gave up and decided that if their customer service is this bad before they have got my money then what would they be like after they've got it.

August 2022 Pre-Trippie HERE
Brum26 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
dave
Imagineer

Avoid travelup. Bunch of cowboys if things go wrong. Customer service atrocious. Search for thread the othe4 year.
Sunset lakes 01, Weston Hills 03,Indian Ridge 04, Davenport 04, Westridge 06 & 07, Florida Pines 08, Lake Berkley 09, Windsor Hills 10, Emerald Island 12, Westridge 13, Legacy Park 15, Eagle Pointe 16, Loma Linda & Windsor Hills 17, Westridge 18, Bella Vida 19
FLORIDA MASTERS WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2015
HOLIDAY GENIE / TRAVELUP WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2016
dave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Eden
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Brum26 View Post
I have been having this same issue with TravelUp over the last couple of days and have now decided against booking with them because they don't seem to have a clue what they are talking about.

I emailed to try and get in writing what was actually includes as like somebody else said they were quoting £63.00 for luggage for 5 of us. I got an email back saying that I would have to call the office.

I called them yesterday and the guy on the phone had no idea what was included and what wasn't included and then proceeded to give me an entirely different price for both the flights and the luggage and told me that these were the prices he was getting from the travelup website. I was on the travelup website while I was on the phone to him and the price difference was over £1000.

I gave up and decided that if their customer service is this bad before they have got my money then what would they be like after they've got it.
Exactly the same, phoned, had no clue at all, and then spent 10-15 mins and gave us a quote £1000 more
We didn’t even ask for a quote, was just trying to clarify what we would be purchasing.
If they were that clueless about what they were selling I wouldn’t want to risk anything going wrong with them!
2019 - Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
2024 - Clearwater/Orlando/Cheerleading Competition!
Eden is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 18, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
apple-fan
VIP Dibber

apple-fan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 19
I booked through them last year for a Delta (Virgin) offer on Premium Economy, admittedly I had not reason to contact or make any amendments, so it was fine.

It would seem the issues start when you have query or need to make any changes, which is the same story I found when I was originally cautious about booking with them last year.

Disney Old Key West - August 2013
Disney Old Key West - August 2014
Disney Old Key West - August 2015
Disney Old Key West - Sept 2016
Disney Old Key West - Oct 2017
Disney Beach & Yacht Club - Nov 2019
Port Orleans (Riverside) - Nov 2023
apple-fan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List